“A Wonderful Evening”

Z's Oyster Bar & Steak House
Ranked #214 of 1,806 Restaurants in Louisville
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Large groups, Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Hurstbourne
Reviewed July 23, 2013

The lobster I had reminded me of Mine. Fresh, fresh, fresh. My husband an I shared a baked potato and it was big enough for us. There is low lighting and the wait staff are right there. Save room for the wonderful desserts

1  Thank Cheri W
ZsOysterbarDowntown, Public Relations Manager at Z's Oyster Bar & Steak House, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

Thanks for dining with us! We're so pleased you enjoyed your experience at Z's and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

Everything is always so good at this restaurant. Had shrimp and oysters for and appetizers and they were fantastic! New York Strip and cheese browns are excellent. Drinks are also amazing. My favorite place to go and enjoy a good meal and service.

Barry M, Public Relations Manager at Z's Oyster Bar & Steak House, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2013

We’re so happy you enjoyed your visit with us! We look forward to serving you again soon.

Reviewed June 4, 2013

I got a big promotion at work and moved to Louisville KY. Wanted to take my wife somewhere nice for our first dinner in the city. This place is really overpriced in reference to the taste of the food. I was really excited for a good steak and even got one of the higher priced ones. Huge let down! I will never come back.

ZsOysterbarDowntown, Public Relations Manager at Z's Oyster Bar & Steak House, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2013

Congratulations on your promotion! We are so sorry to hear that your visit was unsatisfactory. Providing an exceptional dining experience is of the utmost importance to us. We would appreciate an opportunity to speak with you about your dining experience. Please call us 502-855-8000 and ask for Jackie.

Reviewed May 21, 2013 via mobile

Lee & I love Z's! The seafood is fresh, the steaks are tender and the service is outstanding! Management and staff are attentive. They reserved our table and there was a signed Anniversary card, by the staff. Nice touch!

Reviewed May 20, 2013

My husband and I were in town for the Kentucky Derby and our hotel recommended Z’s. I normally consult Trip Advisor, but in this instance we decided to trust the recommendation and give it a try. We arrived very early and without a reservation and although it was Kentucky Derby weekend, we thought perhaps since is was so early they could accommodate us. We realized that to arrive without a reservation on Friday of Derby weekend might seem naive, but we felt it was early enough that we could dine and be done by the time they had their rush. And even though all the tables were empty the hostess guided us to a table set for six (we were two) and in an area that I am sure the architect designed as a corridor. When I asked if we could be seated at "any" other table, the manager appeared and gave us two options: we could either be seated at a small table for two by the fish tank and in the middle of the "large-party" section (pretty much guaranteeing that conversation and comfort was NOT going to be easy) or we could sit where they wanted to put us originally. "Hum," I thought to myself, "that doesn't leave us with many options, I guess we'll choose option two: the six top in the section they put the ignoramuses who don't make reservations during Derby weekend!" Normally I would understand since we didn’t have a reservation (I get it), but bottom-line: this was a very pricey restaurant and for us to be relegated to such an unsuitable table was frustrating (not to mention a joy-kill). I could see if it was Applebee's or Outback Steakhouse but this was a special occasion at an upscale restaurant and I expected better. After all, half the reason you go to a place like this and pay the premium prices, is for the “table” ambiance. Take away the table and half of the experience goes with it. Perhaps I should have asked for a half-off menu. But in an attempt to enjoy the evening regardless of the oversized table in a corridor-size space, I looked forward to the food. At least the food will be good, I thought to myself, at least the food will redeem Z's Oyster Bar and all will be forgotten! The service was excellent, I'll give them that. The food was not bad, but it wasn’t great either. For the price I expected more. For the price I expected great. And given that our table was less than desirable, the food needed to redeem the night, the food needed to be exceptional! We spent a lot of money that night--wine, cocktails, appetizer, main course--the whole shebang! And in the end, I didn’t feel it was a good investment of calories, time and money. By the way, when we got up to leave half the tables were still empty. Perhaps if they had sat us in one of “those” tables this review would have been different. And our investment worth it.

Been to Z's Oyster Bar & Steak House? Share your experiences!