“outstanding pizza”

Neighborhood: Highlands
Lexington
“outstanding pizza”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We were a group of about 35 hashers, and we totally took over the back room (with the pool tables). We were a rowdy bunch, but our waitress was very good - kept us supplied with beer and pizza. The pizzas are delicious, with mounds of toppings, be it meat, veggies, or cheese - all delicious. We were there on a Saturday afternoon/night, and the place was packed with people!

• Visited February 2013

Lakeland TN
“Great pizza, slow service!”
Reviewed October 11, 2012

The pizzas we had were excellent. My daughter had a cheese and black olive pizza and the rest of us had the works. We ordered the cheese sticks for an appetizer. They were warm, cheesy and tasty. We came on a weekday around 1:30 and there was only one other table occupied and two other customers waiting on take out, yet we still waited longer than expected for our food. It was worth the wait. The service was o.k. but not friendly or attentive.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank LakelandLady87
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“WORST SERVICE I HAVE EVER HAD!”
Reviewed June 27, 2012

This past Sunday, June 24th, myself and some friends and family decided to eat at Za's for my husband's birthday. He ate there quite often throughout his college career and loved their pizza. We had called ahead to see if they would take reservations due to the number of people in our party, 9 or 10. The server who answered the phone told us that the owner was not excepting reservations on this particular weekend due to an article in the Courier Journal about the restaurant. She did say that we should come by anyway and that she was sure they could accommodate us. Sure enough we arrive at 6 and there was only one other occupied table in the entire restaurant. All 9 of us are there by 630 and we promptly order a few salads and 2 orders of wings. Salads came about 20 minutes later and the wings almost 45 minutes later. We ordered 3 large pizzas at this time, about 715, and they came to us one hour later at 815. Prior to getting the pizzas my father in law spoke politely to the Manager of the restaurant about our wait. I also feel compelled to mention we watched 4 other tables get seated, order their food and eat, and leave in the amount of time it took to get our pizzas. The manager said he spoke to owner about the issue and that the would personally bring out the pizza to us and work out the issue. The owner did not bring out our pizzas, the server did. We assumed maybe he would be coming by with the check. Wrong again. The server brought the check with every little thing we had ordered on it. We asked the manager if he could get the owner and he said the owner had already left and acted surprised that he had not been over to us. He then proceeded to tell us that he could not do anything to help us and that we would have to speak to the owner the next day. Wow, so the manager at Za's has no authority to make things right when you have unhappy customers. Oh but wait it gets better..........

The next day my mother in law takes her entire lunch break to call the owner since the meal, over $120, had been placed on her debit card. She had a list of her complaints and when she started mentioning how long it took for the wings and salads, he cut her off said it was "bulls**t". He claimed to have known for a fact we only waited 10 minutes for them. She also mentioned that a few members of our party had movie plans at 9PM and missed them due to the long wait. According to him that was their fault for making the movie plans after dinner. Guess this idiot has never heard of Dinner and a Movie, which they should have made. He also proceeded to say that his server told us when we called to reserve that we could not accommodate you and to go somewhere else. This is not true at all. I made the phone call and that is not what was said at all. The phone call basically ended with him saying that it just sounds like you all had bad service and there is nothing I am going to do about it. He also mentioned that he deliberately did not come to our table that night because he figured the damage was done and he was not going to give us a discount.

All in all, good food. No complaints there. I have never, never been treated this way at any restaurant. I have ate at almost small restaurant in the Highlands area and I was shocked to have had such horrible service. Mistakes happen. I know this myself from working in sales and in restaurants. EVERY expert in the hospitality industry knows what REALLY MATTERS is how you make up for it. What you do so that customer leaves with smile on their face is what really counts. I will never under any circumstances ever eat at this restaurant again and I am telling EVERYONE I know about what happened.

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank Jessica L
Louisville, Kentucky
“Once a reliable pizza joint until recent changes.”
Reviewed April 27, 2012

I've been a customer of ZAs since the place opened back in 1996. For the most part I've always gotten good service and good food. Seems the competition is getting to this place recently as the owner has deemed fit to raise all prices a whopping $2! Even more puzzling is the quality has deteriorated dramatically in the last year. A former server told me that cheaper ingredients are now being used and drink portions are even being cut. The icing on the cake was during a recent visit after eating, the men's room toilet looked like it hadn't been scrubbed in several months. Absolutely inexcusable for a restaurant. A real shame since it looks like I will have to finally close the door on going back after all these years. Hope they get their act back together, and maybe with the new price increases upgrade the near 20 year old rear projection TV?!

Visited March 2012
“great fun with friends”
Reviewed April 20, 2012

great pizza and good prices if you are going with a group of ppl...might be a little pricey for one person...nice beer selection too...

Visited July 2011