“A newer location (not a river-view location)”
Review of King Fish Restaurant - CLOSED

King Fish Restaurant
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: East Louisville
Reviewed May 3, 2013

I grew up in Louisville eating deep-fried food at Kingfish. When I was a kid, the Kingfish restaurants were themed to look like steamboats floating in an artificial pond (you arrived by walking across a "gangplank" bridge from the parking area to the restaurant). I don't know of any of the classic design restaurants still in existance. The new modern restaurants look more like any other chain suburbia style place. The interesting old riverfront themed photos and artwork are on the walls like I remember.

The food is still the same as I remembered, always crispy fried, never healthy, the way southern-fried food ought to taste.

I ordered a sprat fish sandwich. This is one of the cheaper items on the menu. This sandwich is similar to a "Moby Dick" sandwich (another Louisville area restaurant chain). If I was hungrier, I'd be ordering one of the combination platters loaded with all kinds of wonderful deep-fried goodness.

If you want healthy food, you'd probably do better elsewhere, but if you want tasty, crispy, not too greasy food full of yummy calories... this place hits the spot. I'm glad to see that the menu still offers DEEP-FRIED LOBSTER. I'm gonna have to put that one on my bucket list of items to try at least once.

Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

This restaurant was dirty looking and Tacky! Set up in what was clearly a Frischs at one time.

Food was awful...coconut shrimp was tasteless except for the Grease...batter was undone! All the food was frozen...nothing fresh here!

Our server was nice and the Giant Hushpuppies were excellent. That is all!

2  Thank maggie4pets
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Having grown up on the coast with an abundance of seafood in my diet, I must say that the offering at King Fish are less than appealing to me. Almost everything is FRIED. Not only does that distort the flavor of the seafood, it makes it all very fattening!

1  Thank Donald J
Reviewed January 12, 2013

This is a mid priced seafood restaurant that seems to be a cross between a Long John Silver with the feel of a Bob Evans. A pretty casual feel come as you are for fried fish and some baked / broiled items. There are also some salads. When you sit down they bring you hush puppies / they are average but again keep in mind this is quick place that also has a drive thru window.

We had shrimp basket with French fries. Also a baked tilapia dish with onion rings and collard greens. All items were served hot and plate presentation was very good. The lemon flavor on the fish was noticeably strong, and the bed of rice was a bit over cooked and had a salty flavor I was not a big fan of. The collard greens were "ok" lots of stems and a bit tough. It needs to be said that the place was clean and all the staff very friendly. The food was above average and even though I give it a 3 STAR , I would suggest it. Also I would go back I just don't feel it to be worthy of higher than 3 STAR. This restaurant is better than Red Lobster. The onion rings were very good I would suggest them. There are multiple TV's and beer is served. Paying was a little confusing, you pay your bill at the front. The inside decor could use a bit more of a fish theme as it seemed like it could be any basic place to eat.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

Although they have many items on the menu we like to visit Kingfish on Mondays for their Mon. Special. We generally order the Scrod Sandwich($2.99) and Bottled Beer($1.50) Eat in only. The view of the Ohio River is very nice especially if you sit near the windows. In the summer you can watch the boats and barges go up and down the river. More river traffic in the summer. Food is always good . Service is generally good. A relaxed atmosphere.