“Gumbo Haven”

Joe's OK Bayou
Dining options: Dinner
Dining options: Dinner
Reviewed June 11, 2013

Pretty good Cajun for the Louisville market place is clean and I like to go at lunch and do the all you can eat. I never go back for seconds because they feed you so much the first time.

dabayouboy, Owner at Joe's OK Bayou, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2013

Thanks for the review! The ALL YOU CAN EAT is an absurd amount of food for the price. More times than not, one plate is all an individual can eat...unless you have a hollow leg! See ya next time.

Reviewed June 4, 2013

Found this place while hunting for a Mexican restaurant that had closed. We love seafood. Nice atmosphere, great food, friendly service. Reasonable prices. Returned the next evening and will be back when in the area.

Thanks for the visit to our humble abode! It's nice getting out of towners here on a regular basis. You'd be surprised at how much that adds to our business! We like to think of ourselves as your "home away from home" type of place. Look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed May 6, 2013

I lived in Louisville for 3 years and found this honey hole upon getting in to town. Didn't really eat Cajun prior. Now I can't get enough. Joe is a great owner. This place is like the bar Cheers. Everybody knows your name. The gumbo and ettoufee are out of this world. But I love a good dark thick roux. Everybody try this place! I miss you guys and your great food. Still haven't found a replacement restaurant in Dallas yet.

dabayouboy, Owner at Joe's OK Bayou, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2013

Hey, thanks for the shout out Josh! We miss ya here at Da Bayou and hope you are doing well in the Big D! That's a big city....surely, there is some good cajun somewhere? Heck, you may just have to make the drive back to the 'ville for your Cajun fix. Good luck with things there and make sure to visit anytime you are within a 100 mile radius of us! Thanks!

Reviewed April 28, 2013

The food at Joe's OK Bayou is good for the money, but it is not authentic Louisiana cajun food. It is not very spicy, unless you're a yankee :). I thought the roux had been cooked too long for both the gumbo and the etouffee. The service, though, was excellent! The bartenders and servers all were very nice and helpful. The portions were good. The prices were reasonable. I would go back, but next time I would pick something else, probably a sandwich or the fried fish. We had a party of 15 so we tried quite a few different items. The consensus was "good". Also, we even got SEPARATE checks!

We thank you for your visit and glad we could accomodate the 15 of you and provide separate checks. With proper notice, we can generally do this. I'm sorry you were not a fan of the gumbo or etouffee. We pride ourselves on our authentic food and great service...one reason we have survived for 20 years! Cajun does not have to be HOT to be authentic....it needs to be flavorful for sure! Sometimes people mix that up but we do have some hot sauces on the tables for those that want to enhance the "hotness" factor. Thank you for your patronage and maybe we can get you to eat some crawdads and fried gator tail next visit. Take care!

Reviewed April 20, 2013

My sons girlfriend and I are here now having some great food. Our first time here. the menu is full of things that makes it hard to decide what to eat because it all looks yummy. I am eating the gator tail with fries and jambalaya. my lunch date is having the angus burger and fries. The gator is a little over fried but still good. Jambalaya is great. The pecan pie, praline and peanutbutter pie are homemade and sweet..great place.

Thanks for the visit Rhonda! The gator tail is the number 1 thing people choose nowadays! Must be all the Swamp People shows that we watch. Whatever works...but now that people have tried gator, they always come back for more. It is one of those meats that you never think about trying, but once you do, you're "hooked". Just like the gators on the show! Hope to see ya again soon!