“Great Local Eatery”
Review of Uptown Cafe

Uptown Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Uptown Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #135 of 1,785 Restaurants in Louisville
Cross street: Duker Ave
Kentucky
“Great Local Eatery”
Reviewed January 27, 2013

We were visiting friends and had a very nice dinner. The location is in a great area of town near many night life options.

I definately recommend reservations for dinner. Although there is a bar area where you can wait. Expect to wait if you do not reserce.

The menu offers a variety of choices, whether you prefer salmon or pasta or steak. I enjoyed the pasta with shrimp. The portions are pretty generous without being ridiculous.

We dined on Saturday night and it was busy and loud. Unless you seek quite and romantic dining this is a very good choice, and is very popular with the locals.

• Visited January 2013

“Casually elegant food and setting”
Reviewed December 20, 2012

Four of us dined at the Uptown Cafe Sat., 12/15/2012 and had a wonderful experience. First of all, the appetizers are interesting, well-prepared, and varied. You could make a great meal out of the appetizers alone! I am especially fond of the black bean cakes, which are served on a bed of crisped spinach. They have bits of nuts and possibly dried cranberries in them, which make them the best in town (or anywhere, for that matter). The lentil soup was very good, also, as was the hummus appetizer, which provides for a great deal of variety. The salads were next--again, all winners. I had a salad which included fresh berries, cheddar cheese, nuts, and poppy seed dressing--divine. My husband and I split the filet special. The kitchen will "kitchen split" an entree for you for a little extra ($3?), giving each person ample side dishes. The filet was tender and cooked exactly as I'd ordered--mostly well done, but a bit pinkish, preserving the juices. Try any of their specials--they really are special. I have eaten here roughly 20 times a year for the past umpteen years (however long they have been here) and I am always happy to go back. Too bad I rarely have room for their gourmet desserts, such as gateau ganache, a mousse or creme brulee. Keep up the great work!

• Visited December 2012
realtime0777
“Neighborhood favorite”
Reviewed November 2, 2012

My second favorite in the neighborhood, Baxter Station is my first, but a great moderately priced bistro that is in the heart of the "hip" Louiville Highland district. Great during the warmer months with outside seating but cozy in the colder months too. Food is good, I reccommend the salmon croquets, but service can be ify at times. The owner is very gracious.

Visited June 2012
Louisville, Ky
“Just ok”
Reviewed September 11, 2012

I read the wonderful reviews, so decided to give Uptown Cafe a try. The atmosphere was nice. We sat near the window with the view of Bardstown Road. The restaurant is open and well lit with nice table cloths. Service however, was somewhat slow. When the server was at the table, she was very attentive. It was coming to take the order and bringing the check that took awhile. It also took longer than expected to check back with us once the food arrived. My food was just ok. I had the steelhead trout, spinach and couscous. Flavors were bland. It's not a restaurant I would suggest, but if a group of friends wanted to I would return.

• Visited September 2012
Goleta, California
“Pleasant and Elegant in the Highlands”
Reviewed September 9, 2012

Uptown Cafe is a pleasant, elegant and dependable tablecloth cafe in the Highlands of Louisville. On my last visit, I took my 82-year-old mother there for lunch. The view through the front window showed groovesters and tourists strolling by. Service was excellent: attentive, knowledgeable, but not intrusive. The 2 glasses we chose from the interesting wine list, with a little help from our server, were great. For lunch my mother had the hot brown, a Louisville specialty made with bacon, ham and turkey served on toast with a cheese sauce. At her age, the health consequences are inconsequential. The bit I tried was great, particularly the sauce! I had the roasted vegetables: also great, and very healthy and filling. Parking is tricky: not many spots in back.

• Visited September 2012