“Wish I could give it a better rating, but......”
Review of Uptown Cafe

Uptown Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Uptown Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #101 of 1,835 Restaurants in Louisville
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Highlands
Cross street: Duker Ave
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Seven of us had a wonderful experience at dinner. The food and the service were great. Now here comes the but. Dinner was so good, we returned to the Uptown Cafe for lunch the next day. After waiting 20 minutes I had to look for our waiter. I found him standing around the olive bowl. After a few minutes, he came to our table and took our orders. The food was a long time coming. I had ordered the goat cheese bruschetta with blueberries. Big mistake. One slid off the plate and barely missed my white jeans. My brother in law's grilled cheese sandwich had but one thin slice of cheese in the middle of the bread. The ends were bone dry. My sister in law's BLT was missing the bacon and her salad was missing the requested dressing. After leaving, I found blueberries in my purse! A special purse made just for me was destroyed. They offered to have it cleaned for me but I was leaving for home the next day. Cleaning will not remove blueberries! The waiter handed me $10 for cleaning. The lack of customer service at lunch was disappointing. No manager on board but someone did take charge and reduced our bill for the two incomplete sandwiches. I gave the restaurant a low rating because of our experience at lunch. Too bad because dinner was so good.

Reviewed August 16, 2012

After exploring the funky stores on Bardstown, we stopped in to Uptown for lunch. I was expecting the usual high-priced stuff and was pleasantly surprised. My 4-ounce hamburger was juicy and fresh and the fresh fruit bowl was one of the best I've ever purchased anywhere. Together, the combo was just $9. My lunch companions had hummus and fresh vegetables and were equally impressed. Service was also very attentive. The Uptown Cafe seems to be the most upscale of the eating places on Bardstown Street. Don't evern waste your time with the sandwich/chip places lining Bardstown, go to Uptown for a great sophisticated lunch.

Reviewed August 14, 2012

This place and it's upscale sister restaurant, Cafe Metro, are well-established favorites in Louisville. I've never had a bad meal in either place. Lots of local flavor and ingredients.

Reviewed July 25, 2012

The salmon croquettes are amazing. They serve two very large croquettes and we usually split them between two adults -- for a small up-charge but very very filling. I am always amazed at how consistently good the food is here. Simply outstanding every time we come here. Fresh homemade whole wheat bread is fantastic, the steaks and pork are wonderful, love this blackened salmon, yummy wild rice medley, but you must leave room for out of this world desserts -- all hand made. Our favorite is the chocolate truffle pie served on a pecan crust (only available on the weekends). The baked Napoleon is one of kind -- but every dessert is fantastic. The bartender makes amazing drinks including a raspberry-lemon martini (like the one from California Pizza Kitchen). The price is a little more overall but for such amazing consistency, well worth it. Only down side is the place tends to attract an older crowd. Oh well, great food, drinks, and atmosphere. Would also love to see a bigger booth area and better seating/chairs.

Reviewed June 22, 2012

Go for the Duck Ravioli. It was terrific but order the large portion because you'll be giving away lots of bites. The Jagerschnitzel was very good as was the parchment cooked Sole. The portions are large so we were full without appetizer or dessert. The wait staff deserves a mention. We were through our meal rather quickly and the staff stayed on top of it, while in surrounding tables diners started with a bottle of wine or slowly ate appetizers and the waiter kept up with the varying paces, being attentive without either rushing diners or having them feel forgotten.
Watching the street scene was also part of the experience.