“Food Quality went out the Door, along with the Service!”
Review of El Nopal

Cuisines: Mexican
Neighborhood: East Louisville
Neighborhood: East Louisville
Reviewed May 29, 2012

Used to go to the J-town location all the time but the Food Quality and Service is really Bad here! The only thing here that is good is the salsa and chips, they are Free! The other selections are bland and have no taste at all! After the food gets to your table, Good Luck trying to find someone to ask for say another drink or two! Good Luck Here!

Reviewed February 8, 2012

I've been to quite a few Mexican restaurants in the Louisville area, including several locations of this local family-owned chain. Of all the traditional full-service "autentica" restaurants, El Nopal has the most consistent quality in my opinion.

Just earlier tonight, my wife and I stopped in at the Westport Road location, which is at the rear of the shopping center (you'll have to drive around the back side to see it). The interior has stayed pretty much the same for at least 15 years, with the familiar Mexican adobe/Cinco de Mayo interior decor.

Our server sat us immediately, and took our drink order. As if on cue, another server brought out complimentary fried tortilla chips and two different heat levels of salsa in little clear carafes, which provided plenty to share and refill our ramikins.

My wife ordered the combo fajitas (steak, chicken and shrimp); I ordered my current favorite, the Pollo Norteno. Within about ten minutes, just enough time for us to enjoy a bit of queso dip, the dishes arrived. My wife's fajitas came out as she ordered (hold the guacamole, extra pico de gallo instead) and, unlike some places, was not scorched on the bottom. The Pollo Norteno was also as I expected: a lightly seasoned grilled chicken breast, topped with a lively mix of chopped tomato, chopped onion and sliced fresh jalapeno. I couldn't help making quick work of the entree, admittedly.

(Note: the same dish at El Nopal on Zorn Avenue has the tomato/onion/jalapeno mix sauteed before placement atop the chicken; while this ostensibly blends the flavors together, it also adds a bit of grease and salt. I strongly prefer the version fixed here; the jalapenos and onions still have a good bit of crispness to them.)

The price is about $8-10 per entree, with the most expensive at about $14; this is very competitive with other local chains like El Toro and Los Aztecas. However, we've had more than our share of inconsistent cooking quality at many others, and it's good to know a place that's reliably good.

Other dishes I've enjoyed here are the Tacos de Carne Asada (served taqueria style on soft corn tortillas with tomatillo salsa) and the Burro Grande, a gigantic flour burrito stuffed with fajita-style steak or chicken with ranchero sauce on top.

In short, this location of El Nopal is definitely worth the out-of-the-way trip.

1  Thank dXTC
Reviewed January 17, 2012

I love love love this chain of mexican restaurants, food is always hot and tastes great. Also great service.

Reviewed December 5, 2011

Good prices for EXCELLENT authentic Mexican food and drinks(I had a 22 oz Dos XX for $4!)
The service was excellent too.

Reviewed September 8, 2011

This restaurant was your average Mexican restaurant. It was medium in price and taste, except for the salsa and chips, which were very good. If you're a low-carber, they do have a chicken, chorizo, and cheese dish that is nice. The macho burrito was okay but plain-tasting to me.

Been to El Nopal? Share your experiences!