Main Eatery
Ranked #173 of 1,817 Restaurants in Louisville
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Reviewed September 26, 2012 via mobile

Great sandwiches, homemade soups and excellent service. Go about once a month for lunch. Vegetable Beef soup is excellent.

Reviewed August 9, 2012

This place serves a decent sandwich. But frankly, it's a sandwich so how hard could it be? I was turned off by the posting of so many rules. No strollers? The space simply isn't small enough to justify the policy. But I didn't have a stroller so I overrode my instincts and went inside instead. That was my mistake, of course. The next crazy rule is that they'll cut a sandwich in half, but not in quarters (ever tried to get a five year old to manage a thick sandwich?). The owner (and he seemed awkwardly proud to identify himself as such working at the cash register) was unyielding. Absolutely no sandwich quarters. Like it was a religious conviction or something. It's also the kind of place that charges 25 cents for tap water (I suppose I should not have been surprised when I noticed as much on my receipt). And there's a 4% "rebate" for cash purchases. Plus, they apparently have no clue what it means to go light on the mayo. Is this getting petty? Perhaps. But that all shaped my view of the establishment and experience. And the little things really do matter. I will say they have cheap prices (other than for tap water) and in this case I received the service I paid for.

1  Thank morerainplease
Reviewed July 13, 2012

This is a perfect lunch spot for tourists. Place orders at the counter, pick up meal and carry it to a table. Prices are very reasonable and there are many menu options. It is as popular with locals as it is with tourists.

Reviewed June 18, 2012

Food was good and reasonably priced. Wait was short, place was busy but the staff was efficient.

Reviewed April 17, 2012

I work in the area, and eat at the Main Eatery at least once a week. Their daily Blue Plate Specials are fantastic! I recommend Chicken Salad on a Crescent, and Friday's Grilled Cheese & Tomato Bisque.

Regarding negative reviews pertaining to the Eatery's policies - The owners clearly post their policies right on the Front Door. No strollers, No Outside Food or Drink, No photos. The owners are the sweetest most welcoming people I have ever had the pleasure of doing business with. Their great food & charming atmosphere keeps me coming back every week.