“Good buffet”

Cuisines: Indian
Neighborhood: Highlands
Neighborhood: Highlands
Reviewed February 6, 2012

I went to Kasmir for their buffet. Their selection was good (though there are others that are better) and their service was fair.

1  Thank LovelyDiablerie

Reviewed December 23, 2011

My husband and I dined there for dinner.at 5:15. Thought things would be especially fresh/hot that early. Thank goodness we had a Groupon or we would have really been disappointed. I ordered the 'special' Thali for $14.95 thinking it would be a good way to sample several offerings. It came on a metal platter with some not too hot, obviously old dry rice and a greasy piece of nan. In the TINY metal bowls there was a selection of lamb curry, a spinach dish (sag?)and a lentil dish. Riatta on the side. Oh, I almost forgot the dried up 'tandoori' chicken leg! I have had really good Indian food and this was unacceptable. My husband had a Briyani was around $14. He said it was OK, but again, a small portion.
The service was brusque at best. We had the feeling the idea was to get us up to the cash register and out the door ASAP even though there were only a few other diners. We were glad to oblige! Oh yes I almost forgot the bad smell by the restrooms.

1  Thank Runmarky
Reviewed December 19, 2011

I try to go to Kashmir every month...it is definitely one of my favorites. I love the chicken tikka masala, lamb jelfrezel, and chicken biryani...and don't miss the naan...oh, and the kheer! Yummy. The servings are generous without being ridiculous. I always have enough to share.

We were there on a Monday around 6 p.m. and there were only about 20 patrons total. BUT on Friday or Saturday night, jam packed! Generally, you can get seated fairly quickly so definitely wait!

The staff are always amiable but not overly friendly.

Reviewed December 9, 2011

I have visited Kashmir before during the lunch buffet and LOVED it. You definately get your money's worth for lunch. For dinner, however, not so much. It's not a buffet and you order off the menu. For the price we paid (about 12.00 a piece plus 2.00 per glass of water), we walked out of the restaurant hungry. We were both quite dissappointed for the dinner. I would definately go back for lunch though.

Reviewed May 18, 2009

After a movie, my partner and I decided to try out this restaurant nearby, having read some of the reviews online touting it as a great Indian restaurant.

From the moment we walked in, I didn't have a good feeling about it. It was obviously run on a budget, from the thrift store-decorations to the stained tablecloths that looked like they hadn't been washed in weeks. Still, I've been in many restaurants like that, and know that often times they can be some of the best kept secrets in town.

Kashmir, however, is being kept secret for a reason.

The "hostess" was timid and quiet, and seemed apathetic about having to serve us. She spoke in hushed tones and didn't seem eager to help us. Still, a bad server has never stopped us from eating good food, so we pressed on.

Sadly, the food was an even further letdown. Nothing spectacular. We had a couple of the dishes recommended on various user reviews, and weren't impressed. To be fair, the chicken curry was delicious, but that was the only saving grace on an otherwise bland meal.

Ready to cut our losses, we handed over our Highlands VIP card and asked for the check. This card has an array of members around the area that offer special discounts to cardholders. The website said that Kashmir offered 20% off our ticket Monday through Thursdays, but EVERYONE that worked there swore they had never seen the card before, and that if we wanted the discount, we'd have to come back and talk to the manager--who was, of course, not there.

We've NEVER had a problem with the card at any other restaurant, so we were pretty upset that this was going on. Nevertheless, we paid our bill, left our tip, and got out of there as quickly as possible. Needless to say, we won't be going back.

I urge anyone interested in some fine Indian cuisine to go elsewhere. And if you manage to find a good spot, be sure to let us know, because Kashmir just won't cut it for us.

1  Thank Shire113