“I go for the Macaroni and Cheese!”

J Alexander's Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
J Alexander's Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #87 of 1,781 Restaurants in Louisville
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: East Louisville
Louisville, Kentucky
“I go for the Macaroni and Cheese!”
Reviewed August 5, 2013

For a place of this caliber it's surprising that the one thing I rant over is the Macaroni and Cheese! It is SO GOOD! Nothing else really compares! I've eaten here several times and I don't have anything bad to say about anything else; prices are reasonable for the type of restaurant and the service is fast and friendly. In regards to the food: the steak is good, the prime rib is good but too rare for my tastes (even asking for it medium), the ribs are good and the rattlesnake pasta is really good. I've eaten here a couple times but it's the macaroni that keeps me coming back!

Roanoke, Virginia
“You Get Your Money's Worth”
Reviewed July 27, 2013

My husband and I really enjoyed eating here. We dropped in after shopping for a late lunch. The restaurant appeared clean, and the utensils and plates came out clean and were free of any leftover residue. The hostess greeted us as soon as we walked in, and took us to our table. My husband ordered the ribs (full rack), mac and cheese, and potatoes, which cost $23. His ribs were superb. They were tender, had a (slightly) spicy sweet sauce, and were filling. His potatoes were good and he said the mac and cheese was some of the best he's ever had. When he finished his meal the server (who was very attentive, prompt and kept the drinks coming) brought him a warm towel for his hands. My husband stated that the service was so good, that he felt like a celebrity or v.i.p. I ordered the Thai Kai Chicken salad, which was good and cost $14. The only complaint that I have is that the chicken on the salad looked like lunch meat. That is the only reason why I didn't give this restaurant 5 stars. I would have preferred chicken breast on the salad. I also ordered coffee, which was good and carrot cake. They kept the coffee and all of our drinks coming. We never had to sit and wait for refills. The HUGE slice of carrot cake had the perfect sweetness (wasn't syrupy sweet), and it came out warm with melty cream cheese icing. The portions were large! I cut my cake in half and had enough for the next day. My husband’s mound of potatoes were also huge, and so was his mac and cheese and my salad. The food came out in a reasonable amount of time, was hot, and the service was perfect. I forgot to mention that the server also brought out warm bread and butter. The ambiance was really nice. They had candles lit on all the tables, smooth jazz playing, and the leather seating combined with the wood furnishings gave the restaurant a rich feel. The bathrooms were even really nice (decor) and clean. My said that while he was in the restroom, a staff member came in. On the way out the staff member wiped down the sink and made sure things were tidy. We will be returning to this restaurant. It was worth our money and time eating here. We felt like we got a good value, meal, and experience for our money. With this economy, check out J. Alexander’s. You will get your money’s worth for sure!

1 Thank Kindlycoated
“Enjoyable overall”
Reviewed July 27, 2013

This was our second visit to this restaurant and we enjoyed it again. The food was enjoyable, as was the service. One dish did come out a bit cold but they apologized and took it back with no fuss. For a side dish, the "not your ordinary Mac and cheese" was great and the carrot cake was also amazing. Be careful though, portion sizes are large so pace yourself if you plan to have dessert.

Visited July 2013
Paducah, Kentucky
“I've Never Paid So Much for Such Horrible Food”
Reviewed July 13, 2013

The only reason I rated it as high as I did was because members of our group said their steaks were good. The chicken was basically what they serve at Dairy Queen. I ordered heirloom tomatoes which turned out to be cherry tomatoes, the mashed potatoes were cold, the cooked broccoli was drenched in cold olive oil, the Israeli couscous seemed to have been shipped from Israel several weeks ago. I ordered Key Lime pie which had no taste. I told the server that I thought they had forgotten to put limes in the Key Lime pie...her reply, "I know." The slow and haphazard service only reinforced the negative experience.

Bardstown, Kentucky, United States
“Great Food”
Reviewed June 1, 2013

Love the food here. Good selection and good prices. Great service and atmosphere. Had chicken fingers, four large pieces, crispy, tasty, will go back.

• Visited April 2013