“Owner Wierd and blames customers for providing wrong food orders”
Review of Emperor of China Restaurant - CLOSED

Emperor of China Restaurant
Cuisines: Chinese
Neighborhood: East Louisville
Neighborhood: East Louisville
Louisville, Kentucky
“Owner Wierd and blames customers for providing wrong food orders”
Reviewed August 22, 2012

My husband stopped in and ordered a carryout meal. When he got home he opened the carryout order and he had been given someone elses order. I called the restaurant to let them know. The waiter answered the phone and told me the owner was cooking and she would call me back. About five minutes later she called me back and said my order was waiting at the restaurant. I told her it was 9 pm and I was not about to go out and pick up the corrected order. She asked for my address. I told her it was about 25 minutes away from the restaurant. She said someone would deliver the meal. About five minutes later I got a call back and she said it was too far too drive. She instructed me to freeze the wrong order of food that my husband was given and bring it back in to receive a credit. So, let me recap:
My husband was given the wrong order
We were initially asked to come and get the corrected order
After we said no, she insisted that it be delivered to our home.
The correct order was not delivered
She called me back and asked me to freeze the "wrong food order and bring it in".

This is biazzare behavior--why can't they say I'm sorry we gave you the wrong order. Pls. come back at your conveinence and we will give you the meal you ordered at no charge.

Would not recommend this restaurant--the owner is wierd, forceful and has no customer service orientation.

• Visited August 2012
2 Thank Susan39604

Virginia
“The food is very good”
Reviewed May 19, 2012

This restaurant serves a sizzling rice soup that is delicious. 3 or 4 kinds of seafood every single time in every bowl. The food is fresh and good. Other reviewers have said this place has seen better days and I agree. It is such a nice big restaurant which has been let go a little bit inside. We go there because the food is good, I like the large fish tank "divider" that lines the entry to the main restaurant. The staff is nice, efficient and courteous. I wish the owner would freshen up the place because if they did then it would probably be more popular. The atmosphere is quiet music and peaceful dining.

• Visited May 2012
Louisville, KY
“Surprisingly, it exceeded my expectations.”
Reviewed November 9, 2011

My wife and I visited this restaurant for the first time in perhaps a couple of years; we weren't impressed the last couple of times we came. So admittedly I didn't have particularly high expectations of this place when we chose it because of its location (close to where we had to be afterward). I was somewhat pleasantly surprised this time.

The interior decor is aptly pictured in another review, spacious like a Chinese theatre, complete with stage area. Perhaps there was a call for this back in the restaurant's heyday. The former lounge/bar area has been converted into a sushi bar.

We started with the hot and sour soup, which had a good bit of sourness and just enough of a heat kick. It was better than our previous time here, from what I remember.

As appetizers, we each ordered a maki roll from the sushi menu. My wife got the Fancy Roll (tempura shrimp, crab, cream cheese); I got the Red Dragon (unagi and avocado inside, avocado and spicy tuna on top). Both were decent. I'm not going to say it's absolutely the best sushi in town, but I must admit that the sushi area here is a serviceable choice for sushi afficionados, as the price of many of the standard maki rolls appear cheaper than other places.

After perusing the rather extensive menu, my wife ordered the Empress Chicken as her entree; I ordered the Twice Cooked Vegetables. Vegans take note: In addition to the Vegetable section of the menu, virtually any meat-based dish can be altered to be meat free; for example, my dish was a pork-free version of Twice Cooked Pork.

The Empress Chicken was deep fried "sweet and sour" style, with a tangy reddish-brown sauce and broccoli and other vegetables; my wife liked it, although she said she could have done without the red pepper flakes. The Twice Cooked Vegetables were cabbage, carrots, water chestnuts and bell pepper, stir-fried until tender-crisp in a light plum-flavored sauce. I'm glad I left out the pork; this cut down considerably on both the grease and salt factor usually associated with this dish.

The price was not bad, about on par with other Chinese-American restaurants of this caliber. However, the portions are huge; each dish could easily feed two. This drives the value up quite a bit, especially with the budget-conscious sushi choices (both our rolls were in the Specialty section, and were less than $16 combined).

I can recommend this for those looking for classic Chinese-American dishes in an opulent setting with the opportunity of a sushi appetizer, or for those looking to save some money on a sushi meal.

• Visited November 2011
Flint, mi
“Not what it used to be”
Reviewed October 25, 2011

The Emporer of China was once one of the best chinese restaurants in the area. When i lived in Louisville in the 1970s, this was the chinese place my mom would want to go to. They were famous for using tenderloin beef in their pepper steak recipe. I don't see that mentioned anywhere in the menu anymore. The food is good, but not exceptional, as it once was. The price is still up there. I might try them once more to see if they were having an off day, but Louisville has so many wonderful restaurants to choose from, I don't know if I'll ever get around to it.

• Visited October 2011