“Had a great experience”

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Cross street: Fourth Street
Transit: We have the Downtown Louisville Trolley that loops every 15 minutes. There is TARC public busing system.
Description: The Brown Hotel’s signature dining room, the English Grill serves contemporary American cuisine with a Kentucky twist. Dark oak paneling, lead glass windows, tracery ceilings and equestrian paintings give this refined room the atmosphere of a private club. Exceptional service and an extensive wine list have earned the English Grill the coveted AAA Four Diamond Award. The English Grill menu offers an eclectic selection of appetizers, homemade soups, salads, and entrees—all crafted by our talented culinary team led by English Grill Executive Chef James Adams. Save room for the Chocolate Striptease, a signature dessert finished with flaming Bacardi 151 Rum.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We went for dinner and heard good things but it was even better. Rob D as the server was truly great. Harold helped him out and was always there with a good story, as was Rob. We had a wonderful evening. We would definitely recommend

Date of visit: January 2020
Write a reviewReviews (378)

Reviewed January 2, 2020

We were there over Christmas. The lobby was nicely decorated. They had a special day before Christmas menu with great plates, very well presented. Our server Rob has been at the hotel for years and has many neat stories. You need to ask for Rob.

Date of visit: December 2019
640andrewh, Owner at English Grill, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2020

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for the top rating and your nice thoughts on Rob, who is a great ambassador for us.
Kindly allow me to handle your reservation when your travels next bring you to Louisville and I will block a nice table.
I look forward to having you back with us again soon.

Reviewed December 30, 2019

Had Christmas dinner, flawless! The food and service are perfect. We enjoyed our waiter Tombo, he made us feel welcome and made us feel like we were the only table he had. Can't wait to go back.

Dear Guest,

Appreciate the nice thoughts. It’s always good to see – flawless!
Thank you for the nice note on Tamba, who does a great job for us.
Please contact me when you next plan to visit and I will block a nice table and ensure we provide another great evening.
Hope to have you back with us again soon.

Reviewed December 30, 2019

If you have never had a hot brown, this is the place to have one. But if you do, then you won't have room for any appetizers or one of the wonderful entrees (grilled duck breast anyone?) that are part of the selection. An excellent wine list BUT ALSO a wonderful bourbon selection of craft and small batch bourbons as a great start or end to your meal. White table cloth, classy waiters and an amazing yesteryear atmosphere.

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for all your wonderful thoughts! Appreciate the mentions on our Hot Brown and extensive wine and bourbon list.
Kindly allow me to handle your reservation when your travels next bring you our way and I will block a nice table.
Look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed December 25, 2019 via mobile

Went on Christmas Eve. I love the atmosphere and decorations. Live piano with Holiday music. Dining room is wood panel, high ceilings, with very pleasant lighting. White table cloths, nice silver plate flat wear, lit tea light on the table. I wasn’t aware it was a fixed menu and I had my heart set on the original Brown hot brown which wasn’t on the menu. However, the waiter said he could get me a hot brown. It was superior. At our table we had two different salads and they were both delicious, one had Bibb lettuce, blue cheese crumbles, fresh craisins, tiny diced squares of orange squash and a sweet vinaigrette dressing....very good. The other salad was mixed tender greens, looked like pickled onions, tomato and an ok blue cheese dressing, a bit thinner than I like. The 4 scallops were good size, lovely, and beautifully browned on both sides, served over, I believe, a risotto. The dessert was a chocolate mousse that looked looked like a small cake. They placed a small chocolate bowl filled with rum on top of the mousse and lit it. It melted down the sides of the mousse cake. Decadent. They were a few hiccups, however. When the waiter first came over, nattily attired, he appeared to be still eating or chewing something... never a good look. I ordered a Draft Blue Stallion Hefeweizen which I was pleasantly surprised they had it on the menu. So many places cater only to those who enjoy IPA’s. Initially, I was served something that was not a Hefe, and had to send it back... but they got it right after that. The silver creamer bowl was tarnished and not polished, the alleged whipped “butter” they served tasted artificial and not like real butter. I asked for and was served pads of delicious real butter, however it was hard and cold when it was served and I had to wait to use it. The bread basket was a black metal cone with bakery paper and filled with superior rolls and bread. We met the manager of the restaurant who was very gracious. One thing which really bothered me was that the bathroom stall I entered was out of toilet paper. Thank god someone else was in the bathroom and helped me out. We informed the management. I’m going into such detail because I feel this restaurant holds itself to high standards and high prices. The scallop dish alone with salad and dessert was $75. The hot brown was $45. With these price points I would expect a bit better in the service area, without the misses.

Date of visit: December 2019
640andrewh, Owner at English Grill, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2020

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your detailed recap.
Thank you for the nice thoughts…and I appreciate your candid observations on areas we can polish up.
Please contact me when you next plan to visit and I will block a nice table and ensure we provide the finest service you have had all year.
Hope to have you back with us again.