“Very good but no pizazz”
Review of English Grill

English Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
English Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #17 of 1,785 Restaurants in Louisville
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Cross street: Fourth Street
Transit: We have the Downtown Louisville Trolley that loops every 15 minutes. There is TARC public busing system.
Annapolis, MD
“Very good but no pizazz”
Reviewed August 4, 2014

Everything we had was well prepared -- steak, pork chop, Hot Brown -- but there was no excitement. Nothing on the menu jumped out as a "must order". Service was absolutely the best. There was a pie on the room service menu that wasn't on the English Grill menu. Not a problem. Bottom line -- go for the service and the execution but not for creativity or culinary excitement.

• Visited August 2014

Lexington, Kentucky
“A truly elegant dinner event”
Reviewed July 30, 2014

This restaurant, located in The Brown Hotel in Louisville, we truly a gourmet event. It's elegant dining and was an event. Slow down, turn in your cell phone (asked of patrons in the menu) and enjoy the company of others. I had the pork chop. It was melt in your mouth delicious!!! So tender I hardly needed my fork.

Visited July 2014
Maryland
“Good, not great”
Reviewed July 29, 2014

Overall, I enjoyed my dinner at the English Grill. I am staying at the Brown Hotel where the restaurant is located, and it was an easy elevator ride downstairs for dinner. I thought the service and attention to detail were quite good. Dinner itself was good, not great. I ordered the "famous Kentucky hot brown" sandwich--essentially hot turkey with sauce/gravy, bread and cheese-- the waiter was nice enough to explain the story of the sandwich to me. It was ok...very heavy, not much flavor. I am not sure I would feel the need to ever order it again. I also ordered the salad greens with goat cheese and pecans--I hate a salad that I have to cut, although the pecans were absolutely incredible! I had the pistachio souffle for dessert, which sounds terrible, but was actually delicious. It was definitely the highlight of the meal. Overall, it was a nice dinner, very good service, and a great location for where I was staying. That said, there are certainly better options close-by where I would head next time instead.

• Visited July 2014
Columbia, SC
“Easily, one of my top five meals!”
Reviewed July 29, 2014

A dining experience no one should miss. The service is top notch, surpassed only by their food. "No" is not part of the staff's vocabulary. Even though I enjoy my steak medium well, it arrived fork tender. The desserts are a feast for the eye as well as the pallet. I cannot recommend this restaurant more strongly. Do not miss!

• Visited July 2014
San Diego, California
“"Downtown at The Brown"”
Reviewed July 16, 2014

"The Hot Brown" is a must for first timers. It's a Louisville Tradition since 1926. On site dining at the English Grill, employees are friendly.

Visited July 2014