“Weeknight Dining”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of English Grill

English Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
English Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #23 of 1,754 Restaurants in Louisville
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Cross street: Fourth Street
Transit: We have the Downtown Louisville Trolley that loops every 15 minutes. There is TARC public busing system.
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“Weeknight Dining”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013

My friends and I arrived at the English Room to celebrate a birthday with a late dinner on a Monday night. There were only two other tables occupied in the restaurant when we arrived. I figured that would be so, since Monday at 8pm isn't a very common time to go out for an expensive dinner.

We were greeted warmly at the maitre d stand, and escorted to our table where we sat close to the kitchen. Everyone at the restaurant was so attentive, they still had quite a bit of staff working and everyone who visited our table was pleasant. We were especially impressed by our waiter, Kurt A., he was charming and funny, and made sure we were well accommodated.

We ordered champagne; received a bread basket with brown bread muffins, and white rolls. The start to an enjoyable evening. We split an appetizer that was delicious, one of the best I ever had. If their website wasn't down, I would write the name, but it was a crispy, crackley piece of brioche topped with a scallop, lamb bacon, hollandaise sauce, and a sprig of what we think was watercress. The flavor and texture combination was divine.

When our dinners came I had great expectations because of how good the brown bread muffins, and appetizer were. My friend who ordered the scallops devoured them, she said they were excellent. My other friend, the birthday girl ordered New York Strip steak with haircot verts, a special for the evening. Her mashed potatoes were silky smooth, and her meat, although medium rare, was so juicy, and cooked so delicately she could cut through it with a dull knife. My halibut with quinoa and english peas however was a little bit too salty for my own personal taste. But, not to the point where it was inedible.

The treated us to a birthday dessert on the house, a sinfully decadent chocolate dish with rich berries, that had a flaming shot of 151 rum on top. It was wonderful.

Our dinner was a success. The only things I was disappointed with were material, and on the surface. I thought that upholstery on the chairs needed to be replaced, a bit dated, and not in an antique way. And, my friend found the fake flower centerpiece in the middle of the restaurant tacky. The small lamps on the table were nice, but needed to be replaced. But, those things are not the responsibility of the waitstaff and chef, so I don't want to take credit away from those who deserve it. You should visit the English Grill.

• Visited August 2013

Milford, Ohio
“Timeless”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013

I had never been to the Brown Hotel and had the famous "Hot Brown" probably because I have eaten Hot Browns at other places before and frankly never cared too much for them. Well the English Grill has changed all that! This place is typicall of many Louisville finer restaurants and is a bit understated but that has GREAT food and service. Of course the Hot Brown was invented here back in the 20's. The Hot Brown, while pricey ($16!) was WONDERFUL...very large portions and obviously made of only the finest and freshest ingrediants. We also had the Derby Pie,,,,,wonderful. VERY rich! This place is a treat....if you ever go to Louisville it is a "must".

• Visited July 2013
Cleveland
“Style and Class are Still in Style!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013

If you enjoy being waited on in an old fashioned dining room, this is the place. This high level of service is not for the blue jean or T-shirt set but you don't have to wear a tie either. And the food is delicious as well as beautifully served. And if you can, enjoy the bar either before or after. Time well spent.

Visited July 2013
Michigan
“Home of the Hot Brown!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013

The dining room is first rate and a wonderful place for a romantic get away. Funny as it seems that the famous state of the Kentucky sandwich came from this Kitchen "The Hot brown" hundreds of renditions are made round the state from Bars to Bistros however this one remains the same.
Good menu , a bit pricey but worth the experience.

• Visited April 2013
Bronx, New York
“outstanding!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013

The food, service are of just first class. Matradee asked my last name before sitting me at the table. Everyone called me by my last name - nice. I only had an entree and two glasses of wine. It came with amuse-bush, a tiny something in the middle of a big spoon - it was really good. They bring bread - 3 kinds - all baked in the restaurant - there were two small blue corn muffins, brioche and some white bread - I ate it all. All fresh. Highly recommend to visit. But bring money - a lot of it... A LOT....

• Visited June 2013