“But I am HUNGRY!”
Review of English Grill

English Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
English Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #19 of 1,806 Restaurants in Louisville
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Cross street: Fourth Street
Transit: We have the Downtown Louisville Trolley that loops every 15 minutes. There is TARC public busing system.
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Terrible because wouldn't seat us without reservations for breakfast at 10AM. It certainly smelled good. The hours for lunch and breakfast very limited despite a hotel full of people.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

My wife and I visited the English grill while staying at the Brown Hotel. We went there with little expectation. We had only heard that it was pretty good and it was down stairs, so we figured why not. The restaurant has a beautiful atmosphere with classic decor and dark wood everywhere. Our waiter was very nice without giving off any snooty vibes. The food/wine were excellent and portions were perfect. It was around $100 for entrees, apps, and wine. For fine dining I would say that is pretty on par. I would recommend this restaurant to someone that is looking for something that is different from most of todays' fine dining restaurants. This isn't the modern-hip-cool place that brings in beards in thick black glasses. This is classic fine dining that takes someone back in time a little bit.

1  Thank StephenS_Photo84
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Living near ones home address doesn't always mean you have to go far away to enjoy a fine meal. Last weekend my wife and I decided to visit the historic Brown Hotel in downtown Louisville, KY and try the offerings of the English Grill. Always a highly rated fine dining restaurant, we for some reason, had not visited the home of the 'Hot Brown' in 30 years. It was magnificent. The setting is quite classic with wonderful service. The Hot Brown lived up to its reputation. A little on the pricey side, but great for a special night. A cup of smooth, full bodied coffee was a great ending to a fine meal. In case you have a few minutes to spare, just step out the door of the English Grill and enjoy a drink, the comfortable English furnishings and the music at the piano bar. PS the only slight complaint
we had was the flavor (or lack thereof) in their white rolls.Pretty average!

Reviewed February 28, 2013

The English Grill is a lovely restaurant in The Brown Hotel. The staff was exceptionally kind and attentive. I had The Hot Brown. I was told this was a Louisville tradition and thought I'd learn something. It consisted of cheese over toast with chunks of turkey and tomotoes. And large strips of burnt bacon on top. If this were a $10 meal in a diner I might have enjoyed it some but at $22 in an elegant restaurant, it was quite a disappointment.

Reviewed February 12, 2013

My husband and I recently enjoyed the English Grill experience and loved it! Our waiter Todd was amazing!! He suggested the duck to my husband and he loved it. My favorite part of the meal was dessert; the chocolate mousse explosion was to die for as was our coffee. The atmosphere is priceless; you won't be disappointed!