“Breeders' Cup”
Review of English Grill

English Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
English Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #19 of 1,806 Restaurants in Louisville
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Cross street: Fourth Street
Transit: We have the Downtown Louisville Trolley that loops every 15 minutes. There is TARC public busing system.
Reviewed November 9, 2011

The chef is excellent! There is nothing better than the orignial "Hot Brown". Their steaks are to perfection.

Reviewed October 31, 2011

Four of us shared dinner together at The English Grill in the Brown Hotel. Our waiters were attentive to every detail and described the selections well. My salad was fresh with just the right amount of dressing. While my steak was prepared exactly as I requested, I found the quality of the meat slightly disappointing. The deserts were superb and our waiters friendly throughout. The dining room was a little noisy, but if you're looking for a traditional meal with southern hospitality, this is one of your best bets in Louisville.

1  Thank kbkid
Reviewed October 2, 2011

The English Grill is a classic; I mean they created the famous Hot Brown after all! I would like to preface my sub par review by saying that the service we received was excellent. The food however was disappointing to say the least.

My appetizer, bourbon barrel smoked salmon, was the best thing that I had all night. I was a little surprised as to what the waiter brought to me because it wasn't at all what I expected from the menu description. The cumin flatbread? It was a cracker. Segmented citrus salad? It was about 5 supremes cut from a clementine. I also didn't expect the plate to be drizzled in balsamic but I appreciated the added acidity to counteract the lack of "segmented citrus salad." Because the flatbread was so brittle it was difficult to eat. After struggling to get the food on my fork it was good though.

I had high hopes for the Angus Beef Ribeye Au Poivre. I'll start by saying that the 'home fries" were good. I asked for the steak to be cooked rare to medium-rare but received more medium-rare to medium but I was ok with the doneness and didn't send it back but salt. What does a guy have to do to get a little salt? Before I ever commented to the rest of the dinner party about the lack of seasoning on the meat I let another try a bite of it. She is very salt-sensitive and the first thing out of her mouth was, "it needs salt." The shallots and mushrooms were good but the bourbon peppercorn sauce? It's an insult to call it au poivre. Couldn't taste the bourbon and I didn't see a single piece of pepper in the sauce. I was looking forward to the back-of-the-throat burn that black pepper brings.

The creme brulee was alright. It wasn't bad but it wasn't great either. It was a very basic and forgettable creme brulee.

I've eaten at the English Grill probably 15 times in my life. I doubt that I will make it a 16th. There's a lot better restaurants in Louisville in the same price range that will give much better food.

1  Thank avid-traveler1240
Reviewed September 26, 2011

One of our better restaurants in a long time. We dine out a lot and know food and service. The food here was excellent. Very well prepared. Very well presented by a nicely trained staff of waiters who could describe the preparation of each item. They had a very nice casually professional demeanor. The prices were surprisingly low for the setting and quality of food. Good choice for business or a special date.

Reviewed September 18, 2011

We dined at the English Grill during our stay at the Brown Hotel. The meaty crab cake appetizer paired with fig and dried apricot chutney was an excellent flavor combination, certainly different for me having grown up in Maryland with a childhood of crab dishes. (I AM a crab cake snob!) The Garden Collage Petite Greens salad was to die for with fried goat cheese, honey gelee and cherry compote. I should have ordered two instead of an entree. The tuna entree was where my husband and I differed. He does not usually eat tuna, but said this was the best he had ever had. I thought mine was a bit tough. The chocolate chip souflee, however, made up for this disappointment. We split it and should have ordered one for each of us.

Wait staff was attentive and courteous. The table where we sat had a chilly draft and we were cheerfully and promptly moved to a less drafty spot.

If the hotel management reads these reviews, I have one comment about the hostess for them. As we arrived to the hotel prior to checking in, we stopped to make reservations for dinner. The hostess asked if we realized it was "fine dining" and pointed out the menu next to the hostess stand (as if she thought we were not the type of people to enjoy fine dining or to be able to afford it???). I responded I had already checked out the menu on their web site and was aware of dress code, thanks to another reviewer. The hostess certainly did not make us feel welcome. She might want to try another approach.

1  Thank Becky053