“Sour Sauerbraten”

Cuisines: German
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: East Louisville
Reviewed July 14, 2013

It has been my third visit, the previous left me with a more positive impression. I am German, and I travel to Germany many times a year. German cousine has evolved into a more international scene with top chefs, innovative cooking.
The Gasthaus Restaurant is behind its time and utterly stuck in the 1950's - the Sauerbraten was very sour, not the true German way! Sorry to say.
Their desserts however are absolutely gorgeous. Overall I find to too pricey for the portion and quality.

Reviewed July 9, 2013

It was my second visit to Louisville in the last 5 years and this is the second time I've eaten here. The food was good as well as the atmosphere, but it was a bit pricey I thought.

Reviewed May 13, 2013

Very nice experience for a special occasion. Our server was wonderful, as was the wine and the atmosphere. I had the rouladin (sp.) and it was tasty but my portion seemed small for the price. My wife had the chicken schnitzel with spatzel and really enjoyed it. Dessert was out of this world! I had the Irish Cream Torte. (I was pre-warned by the menu that "German Chocolate Cake" does not really exist!)

In all fairness, the place is small so reservations are strictly required and children probably will not enjoy it. I only wished that one or two draft beers were available.

Deano from Cincinnati

1  Thank Dherbert53
Reviewed May 4, 2013

The Gasthaus has become my "go to" restaurant. This family owned and run restaurant has been in business for 20 years now. The Greipel family are very friendly and happy to tell you about their restaurant. We had German friends visit us and took them there to get a German view, and we were most surprised to hear that they said this food is as good and better than they can get in Germany...WOW. The only drawback is the restaurant is small, you would be smart to have a reservation. The menu is limited but ALL the selections are great. Don't forget the daily made desserts (order before you eat, they run out). This is a MUST restaurant to try.

1  Thank Steve W
Reviewed March 18, 2013

I love the Gasthaus, atmosphere, food, service, etc. all oustanding. I'm not much of a dessert eater in restaurants, but their homemade cakes & patries just can't be ignored. Only problem is that it is a small place with limited seating capacity, has limited hours of operation and is extremely popular. A reservation is a must, sometimes weeks ahead of time for a party of 6 or more.

Review collected in partnership with La Quinta