“Try El Brujo”
Review of Bistro 1860

Bistro 1860
Reserve with OpenTable
Bistro 1860 is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #154 of 1,801 Restaurants in Louisville
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed October 10, 2013

This is a great place to sit outdoors and relax with a glass of wine or my favorite drink of theirs, El Brujo. It is a Bourbon based martini with knock your socks off. The owner has done a great job of creating a little oasis in the middle of a slightly distressed urban area. Hit it after work on a nice day.

There are newer reviews for Bistro 1860

Reviewed September 14, 2013

First time here and I will be back. First of all after walking thirty minutes early for our reservation, we were kindly greeted by the hostess and several others. The bartender immediately asked if we would like a drink and offered to surprise us, which he did. I had a James Bond Vesper, and my wife a champagne cocktail.Both were excellent with friendly service and conversation. The meal was excellent with steak tartare,pork tacos, cheese plate,lobster hush puppy,lobster pasta, and a to die for pork belly.You can get by at a very reasonable price if you don't want to try everything on the menu, but we wanted to find out what we would order on our next visit. After the meal we went upstairs to relax for a drink which was very nice and should be tried. If you have not tried Bistro 1860 yet you should and you will not be disappointed. Dress is casual-upscale and very relaxed.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

We had dinner at Bistro 1860 with friends...it was the first visit for each of us. However, it was a nice evening, that left a bad taste due to an aggressive waiter. After our drink orders were served, he asked if we wanted to order our food. We indicated to him that we would like to linger over our drinks for a bit. Almost immediately, he was back asking again to take our orders. Finally on his third trip in just a few short minutes, we caved and ordered...his aggressiveness became the table conversation.

As ours was an early reservation, we felt he was "trying to turn the table"...never a good way to make patrons feel welcome.

The food got mixed reviews...our salads were delicious and beautifully presented. The lamb chops were "just OK, nothing special." The duck very good. Two orders of the pasta Bolognese received a split decision...one gentleman loved it and the other didn't. Several desserts, including ice creams were sampled among us and they were yummy.

We'll give Bistro 1860 another try...our tablemates said they would not come back...but with so many good restaurants in town, we will not race back, especially if we want a leisurely meal with friends.

Reviewed August 4, 2013

I made a reservation on Open Table for the first time that was available on Saturday night, 8pm. When we arrived, we were seated promptly. We had dined in the historic building when it was occupied by a previous restaurant. The interior has been pleasantly remodeled and is quite attractive. The restaurant was totally full on a Saturday night which is always a good sign. We asked for the wine list. I was disappointed in the prices of the wines, especially since there was not one bottle of white wine under $30! I asked the waiter if there were any wine specals; he said, "No, only on Monday nights when wine is 50% off on a bottle." We did settle on a bottle of Prosecco. Our waiter brought out some piping hot herbed French bread served with soft herbed butter that was absolutely enjoyed by everyone! Friends who were with us chose to do cocktails instead of wine because of the price. I can say that this was the only thing we found fault with the entire evening. Since I do not eat much, I was so pleased to see that many dishes came in three sizes. I ordered the Oysters Rockefeller which was an appetizer special for the evening. They were seasoned excellently if not a bit on the drier side than I have had since there was not as much of the sauce on top that I am accustomed to. My husband ordered a single lamb chop for his entree. Although it was a single chop, it was quite large and satisfied him completely. Since I had started with the oysters, I ordered the smallest portion of the grilled salmon atop a small serving of sauteed spinach. It was perfectly prepared and had a wonderful flavor. Everyone in our party did enjoy the food, but we will probably go back on a Monday night so that we can take advantage of the 1/2 price bottles of wine special! If you make a reservation and want to sit in their nice outside patio area, ask if there is road construction currently going on. When we were there on Saturday night, it would not have been somethng I would have done since there was all sorts of road equipment and trucks making all kinds of noise that would make it unpleasant outside. Otherwise, you would enjoy the outside area if that is something you like to do.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

My party of four called to see if Bistro was open on Monday night. Upon arrival at 6:30 pm the hostess asked if we had reservations. We replied no, then we got a frown and sour face..I said do we need a reservation since the restaurant was EMPTY??..she was so unfriendly and told us it would be a good idea. (When we called earlier there was no suggestion of getting a reservation for the night) My party wanted to leave after we sat down but our waitress Erica was so friendly and accommodating we stayed. Her recommendations were right on!! The Lobster Hushpuppies were good. The smoked pork tacos were amazing!! My lamb was tasty as well. We loved the 3 different portion sizes. Erica suggested we have our dessert upstairs in Camel Lounge. Desserts were fantastic!