“A delicious and interesting combination.”

Mussel & Burger Bar
Ranked #13 of 1,817 Restaurants in Louisville
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

While visiting Louisville for the Forecastle festival, we found this place highly reviewed. We decided to stop in, dispite our mixed feelings for mussles and burgers being complete opposites. The resturant itself looks very modern and almost ritzy, but you are served tea in mason jars and eat on btown paper tablecloths(another demonstration of the great dynamic this resturant provides). My boyfriend and I ordered the seafood burger with sweet potato fries with a greek mussel appetizer. The mussels were exceptional. I was skeptical at first but they are delish. Our joininh frienda ordered the curry cream and also bleu cheeae mussels, both of which were amazing as well. Our seafood burgers came on a pretzel bun with whole avacado sclices and seafood sauce on the side. Despite the burger being a tad messy, it was exceptional. Our joining friends also had a seafood burger and the chicken sandwich. Of course these were wonderful and left happy with full stomachs. I highly suggest this place for a fun, new experience. The prices are great. You get every bit of food for your money.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

On a recent trip there, my foodie son-in-law chose this restaurant. We arrived at 6 p.m. on a Friday night and found a long line ahead of us. But the weather was nice outside and we waited. There is seating inside as well for those waiting. The décor is minimalist, but we were seated at a booth table and liked it. Our waitress was attentive and helpful.

We each ordered different burgers and tried the sweet potato fries, which we all enjoyed. I'm not a huge burger or beef fan, but I found the burger to be very good. It was big and juicy. We all enjoyed the food. Yes, the burger is pricy, but the serving is huge. I only managed to finish 2/3 of the burger.

This is a casual place, but people were lingering over dinner and enjoying themselves. It's in a shopping mall area where you can park in front of the restaurant.

1  Thank Nittie
Reviewed July 9, 2013

My wife and I ate here for my birthday on July 8th. From the outside, I didn't know what to expect since it was hidden and really did not look like much to brag about. Upon entering, I know we were in for a rare treat! Once inside the atmosphere and decor is wonderful! We ate in the bar area (great place to come and have a drink). Our waitress and super friendly and gave us some suggestions like the pork nachos (they were out of this world and bursting with favor). It's rare that the topping on nachos out weigh the chips. For dinner we split some mussells and the breakfast burger. Living in Jtown, this will be one of our more visited restaurants in town! Great job M&BB!

Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

Loved it. About an hour wait on a Saturday night at 6 pm which was 2 hours when we left. The short rib nachos were amazing. Each person at the table got a different burger and each person raved about their burger. Even the fries were great and never care about fries. A must eat in Louisville. A tad hard to find but so worth it.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

It gets harder and harder to find really excellent restaurants where the staff don't pitch a fit when we bring our 1-year old with us. Sorry, we're military and stationed away from friends and family...he comes with us. The staff at Mussel & Burger Bar couldn't have been more welcoming or accommodating. We visited on a Saturday afternoon, after the lunch crowd but before dinner. We were shown a table that put us a little bit out of the way with our little one (something I appreciate greatly) and were introduced to our server, Ian. He made some excellent suggestions, one of which was the breakfast burger (which my husband ordered) and the other was the Mediterranean burger (which I got). We also decided to have the mussels in bleu cheese, since this was a mussels AND burger place.

The appetizer was delicious. The mussels were perfectly cooked, not at all chewy or rubbery. And the bleu cheese was the perfect compliment. The burgers were also perfectly cooked. Ian had suggested that because the Mediterranean burger is actually lamb, that, if I'm OK with it, to have it cooked medium rare, otherwise it will get tough. I agreed and that was the BEST way to have it. It had feta on it, which sometimes overpowers a burger, but the fig offset the pungency of the feta and I almost forgot I was eating feta. My husband also loved his breakfast burger, admitting that it is a LOT of protein in one meal. We were about to bust but decided to take some bacon beignets home with us to warm up for breakfast on Sunday morning. Ian told us how to best prepare them and they were DIVINE! Although I've heard their brunch menu is definitely worth returning for. We were also very happy with the price. Although we didn't get alcohol, we got an appetizer, 2 entrees, 2 drinks and a dessert for around $40.

From the decor (understated steak house with slate gray on the walls and bright white accents with butcher paper on the tables) to the friendly and helpful staff to the fabulous meal in a relaxed atmosphere, Mussel & Burger Bar gets 5 stars all the way across. I'm so glad I found this gem tucked in the back of a strip mall. It doesn't look like much from the outside but once you get in, it's heaven on a bun!