“A Top Notch Restaurant with a Laid Back Atmosphere”

Mussel & Burger Bar
Ranked #14 of 1,781 Restaurants in Louisville
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Lexington, Kentucky
“A Top Notch Restaurant with a Laid Back Atmosphere”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

It gets harder and harder to find really excellent restaurants where the staff don't pitch a fit when we bring our 1-year old with us. Sorry, we're military and stationed away from friends and family...he comes with us. The staff at Mussel & Burger Bar couldn't have been more welcoming or accommodating. We visited on a Saturday afternoon, after the lunch crowd but before dinner. We were shown a table that put us a little bit out of the way with our little one (something I appreciate greatly) and were introduced to our server, Ian. He made some excellent suggestions, one of which was the breakfast burger (which my husband ordered) and the other was the Mediterranean burger (which I got). We also decided to have the mussels in bleu cheese, since this was a mussels AND burger place.

The appetizer was delicious. The mussels were perfectly cooked, not at all chewy or rubbery. And the bleu cheese was the perfect compliment. The burgers were also perfectly cooked. Ian had suggested that because the Mediterranean burger is actually lamb, that, if I'm OK with it, to have it cooked medium rare, otherwise it will get tough. I agreed and that was the BEST way to have it. It had feta on it, which sometimes overpowers a burger, but the fig offset the pungency of the feta and I almost forgot I was eating feta. My husband also loved his breakfast burger, admitting that it is a LOT of protein in one meal. We were about to bust but decided to take some bacon beignets home with us to warm up for breakfast on Sunday morning. Ian told us how to best prepare them and they were DIVINE! Although I've heard their brunch menu is definitely worth returning for. We were also very happy with the price. Although we didn't get alcohol, we got an appetizer, 2 entrees, 2 drinks and a dessert for around $40.

From the decor (understated steak house with slate gray on the walls and bright white accents with butcher paper on the tables) to the friendly and helpful staff to the fabulous meal in a relaxed atmosphere, Mussel & Burger Bar gets 5 stars all the way across. I'm so glad I found this gem tucked in the back of a strip mall. It doesn't look like much from the outside but once you get in, it's heaven on a bun!

“Big surprise!”
Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

Right off of Taylorsville road by SixMile Lane. You don't see it from the road. I had the Argentinian burger, my wife had the short rib sandwich. They were excellent! Lots of flavor. Lively atmosphere, loud. Going back to try the mussells

1 Thank baseball55
Louisville, Kentucky
“What a place!”
Reviewed June 22, 2013

My suggestion is to bring a group so you can share! I had the Southern burger with fried green tomatoes and pimento cheese...oh dear, it was sinfully good. We also enjoyed the lemongrass mussels. That broth is amazing! Every restaurant this couple owns is outstanding.

Visited May 2013
Paducah, Kentucky
“Best Burger Ever”
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Four of us went for lunch and we all had a different burger, each one great tasting. Our waiter, Ian, was very helpful with explaining the menu. He made recommendations which worked out to our liking. If you are looking for a great tasting meal with excellent service, you can't beat this place.

2 Thank vanblane
Louisville
“Fabulous Burgers!!!”
Reviewed June 19, 2013

We had lunch yesterday with a friend and each had a different burger. We cut them into thirds so we could experience three different burgers. They were all good, but the Argentinian burger with the Chimichurri sauce was fabulous!!! The fries were all different, as well and all super good. Each one has a different dipping sauce. We also had the Pots de Creme trio, very good, I liked the Nutella one best. We will return.

1 Thank RWCP