“A Town with so much Character”
Review of The Bard's Town

The Bard's Town
Ranked #77 of 176 things to do in Louisville
Sydney, Australia
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 70 helpful votes
“A Town with so much Character”
Reviewed June 28, 2014 via mobile

After visiting the Jim Beam Distillery, we ventured down to Bardstown.

This is a quaint little town with so much character. We stopped of at the Old Talbot Tavern for a few ales and Bourbons. Talbot Tavern dates back to the 1770's.

We would have loved to stay longer, even overnight to take in the ambiance. Whilst crossing the road we crossed quickly so not to hold up the traffic. A driver yelled out "don't rush as no one who lives here does". Sounds like my sought of town.

Visited June 2014
3 Thank Travelheaps2209

Big Bear Lake, California
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 83 helpful votes
“Restaurant Row in Louisville”
Reviewed March 9, 2014

I became acquainted with this area, which amounts to a "restaurant row" of Louisville, about three years ago. Although I've only been to Rami's Café (reviewed elsewhere by me) three times, there are a multitude of places to eat along Bardstown Road. The problem is parking and traffic congestion due to its weekend popularity. Try it, you'll like it!

Visited March 2014
1 Thank Stan W
Louisville, Kentucky
49 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 77 helpful votes
“The Winter of My Contentment”
Reviewed October 18, 2013

I read poetry at the Bard's Town after being named a finalist in the New Southerner writing contest. The back room is the perfect venue for poetry reading or a play. I didn't eat, so I can't judge the food, but I had a drink and found the bartender to be both friendly and a skilled mixologist. I highly recommend the Bard's Town.

Visited January 2013
Kentucky
70 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 224 helpful votes
“It Doth Excel”
Reviewed August 31, 2012

As the name implies, and the location on Louisville's Bardstown Road reenforces, there is a heavy Shakespearean influence on this restaurant and entertainment facility. We were there to see a play by the Louisville Repertory Theater (the upstairs room is used for plays and musical performances), and decided to eat at the restaurant based on our daughter's advice. The menu alone is worth a visit (go to http://thebardstown.com/menu.html and download a copy).

I had the Mushroom of Venice with the vegetable medley (Thou makest dieting delicious). My wife had the Julius Caesar Salad, followed by Fajit-rius (a painful pun of Demetrius from A Midsummer Night's Dream). Both meals were excellent. Our waitress, Beth, was superb - our refills were right on time and her suggestions were on target.

Since we could take our drinks into the theater area, I also ordered my favorite Irish cider from their well-stocked bar. Perfect temperature in a frosted glass.

Our meal, not counting the drinks or gratuity, was under $30 for two of us. While in the area, we also ate at IHop and The Old Talbott Inn in Bardstown. We both agree that The Bard's Town meal was the best of the three.

The building is fairly old, and this section of Louisville has a unique feel to it - sort of Bohemian but also communal. (See http://thingsyoushoulddo.com/what-to-do/dining/eat-drink-and-be-merry-on-bardstown-road-louisville-kentucky/) There five or six parking spots in front, and a parking lot in the back, and parking is allowed on both sides of the residential streets perpendicular to Bardstown Road.

My wife and I walked around the neighborhood after the meal, while waiting for the theater doors to open. The Bard's Town is on heavily traveled Bardstown Road, but the residential area of the nearby streets was very pleasant. Bardstown Road and The Bard's Town is not for everyone. But if you're in the Louisville area and want a good meal in a unique atmosphere, drop in.

Visited August 2012