“I thought I was back in France -- but the people were nicer”
Review of La Coop Bistro - CLOSED

La Coop Bistro
Cuisines: French, Wine Bar
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: La Coop offers French comfort food with a modern twist. Located inside the award-winning Green Building in Louisville's NuLu district, guests will be greeted with classic bistro fair paired with well chosen French wine list, European inspired cocktails and a nice selection of French/Belgian ales.
Reviewed May 4, 2013

Walking in to the restaurantI I had a flashback to my time spent in France. The tables were close together and the kitchen was small and right near the tables.

The menu was excellent with some nice twists. For a starter, I had the pecan salad which has blue cheese ice cream on top. The ice cream was well balanced with a hint of blue cheese and not overpowering. The coq au vin was delicious as well as the special (branzino).

Would highly recommend this restaurant. Just ask about the price of the special -- there was a venison special from Australia that was running for $50. Quite a bit more than any other menu item.

Reviewed April 13, 2013

Had dinner at 8 last night. We ordered drinks and wine. I am a Hendricks martini man, but tried the other top shelf gin, name forgot. I tokdour server I loked a botanical gin, which this was not. No big deal, she doesn't know gin. Also le coop features french wine, which we are not all that familiar with. The solmier (excuse my mispell) was friendly and helpful. We ordered three aps. Fried green tomatoes, mussels and the cheese plate. When it came, our server slung it and departed without so much as a hi or bye or do you need anything. As she was departing I commented that it would be nice to know what kind of cheese I was eating. The solmier heard me and came over to save the day. I commented that I was not used to this kind of service to which he said she must be very busy. To which I replied "yeah it seems like she has something way more important than this to do" We all own our own businesses and appreciate customer service. We all agreed that our waitress had the personality of dry white toast. After we ate, another waiter cleared our table. Not sure where our wiatress went. He had a polar opposite good attitude and we flipped him a $20, but gave her a 10% tip which was VERY gracious. I forgot this, but she cleared my friends wine glass before she was finished and cleared my silverware as I was honest to God 1/2 done with my perfect boulubase. I was in the middle of a story and had to grab the fish stew back B4 has snatched it. We dine out all the time and I worked in a four star through high school, undergrad and 4 years of prof school. I know good and bad sercice and this was the worst waitress I have ever witnessed. Granted this restuarant is only 1 year old. I did see this gal bussing a table. So she was very possibly bus help that was asked to act as a waiter. She disappeared later. Hopefuly fired. I am thinking avoit calling the owner wh ich I have never done in my 20 years of fine dining. If one of my employees performed this poorly I would want to know and would expect a very good explanation or they would get let go. This wiatress was a perfect example of how one bad employee can undermine the perfect efforts of countless others. Other than one terrible waitress the meal and staff where spot on perfect. Probavly a fluke. This place and street where recenly featured in food and wine for a good reason.

Reviewed April 10, 2013

We are a group of bed and breakfast owners and great meals are a huge part of our life. We must be able to direct our guests to good places for dinner on a nightly basis, so we choose different places frequently with our group. Everyone in our group was very pleased. All the meals were great. Food quality and presentation were excellent! The prices are good and we have another great place to recommend! We will return soon.

Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

This place is AMAZING! Having lived (and eaten) all over the city of Louisville for a few years now, I can honestly say this is my absolute FAVORITE restaurant. It is very appropriate for a birthday surprise for your significant other or just a nice dinner out on the town. I really wanted to try French cuisine, but having never been to Europe, I was afraid I would feel stupid and lost. It couldn't have been a more welcoming place! I wore "business casual" clothes, but some people were wearing jeans and others dresses. All attire somehow worked there. It is very busy, but in a weird way the chaos actually improves the atmosphere. Not loud, mind you, but there is a lot going on in a relatively small space.

The food, oh I can't say enough about the food. Go with the duck if you are unsure of what to order. I had never had duck before and it was so good I got another one to take home! LOL. Oh, and the aperitif's are great too. We ordered one of each and my favorites were the pear and the sunflower (I think it was sunflower). We also ordered these spicy meatball appetizers and I don't know what they were called, but they were phenomenal!

Our waitress (Arin - like Erin with an A) was the best waitress I have every had at any restaurant. You can request to sit in her section when you call to make a reservation. I'm not saying the other servers are not amazing too, but I like a sure thing and if you have her, you will not be disappointed. I laughed when I read another review on here about her because it just goes to show you it wasn't a fluke. I even requested to speak to the manager to tell him how great she was. She was very attentive, explained everything well, and made us feel she was actually excited to help us "non-French-ies". No, that is not an exaggeration. She made the experience that much better. Overall this place gets a big A+. I have only been there twice, but will be going again on my birthday. Make a reservation. Request Arin. Order the duck. You won't be disappointed!

Reviewed March 17, 2013

We had been wanting to try La Coop for a while, but we were hindered by two things. Our schedules made it tough, but then they didn't answer the listed phone number several times when I called. Then a friend got a hold of them right away, but the only table large enough for our party was on the covered outside patio (it was inthe 30s!); the girls vetoed that option.
Last week we got a table for Friday night for three. My 16 year old son wanted to bring his girlfriend- when I called it was no problem to change it to a five top. Great!
We arrived right on time, but the hostess said apologetically that our table was still occupied by the earlier patrons. No problem, we just went to the bar. There, the service was quick and genuinely friendly. We hadn't been waiting too terribly long (especially compared with "big city" waiting-for-your-table standards) when we were presented with a charcuterie tray to "ease our long wait". Wow! That REALLY set the tone for the night: their thoughtfulness and the absolutely DELICIOUS food! Our wonderful and VERY professional waitress, Erin, came by to both introduce herself and to apologize for having to wait on the people at our table to actually pay their tab.
We were seated and we started to look over the menu. Too many yummy choices. We started with escargot and mussels. Both were really well done. Yes! Erin made a special effort to make my son's young lady feel at ease, as she had never eaten French food. Thank you, Erin, that was really sweet.
The restaurant is very small with a somewhat boisterous and fun loving crowd. As it turns out, the outside patio , while small, is completely enclosed and delightfully heated!
We each got a different soup or salad- forks and spoons laden with goodies were passed around. Wow- everything is truly first rate....when will they goof up? Erin noted that nobody ordered the salad with Bleu cheese ice cream. We said we had to try it and ordered one to split. Can't wait to come back for that again. Smack your mama good!
The entrees were all well thought out and well executed. Was everything perfect? Absolutely not but pretty darned cl lose. For Louisville it is perfection.. But the atmosphere, the jolly mood of our fellow diners,and the fantastic staff made us anxious to return! We cannot wait.
We were all tooo stuffed for dessert but ordered two for the table anyway. Somehow we managed to not lick the two plates.
My thanks to everyone involved in bringing La Coop to town. At last!