“Hotel Staff Exceptional”

Louisville Marriott Downtown
Ranked #14 of 102 Hotels in Louisville
Reviewed October 7, 2013

I stayed here in 2007 and was underwhelmed with staff and management-seemed rude and stuffy at that time. I am attending a conference and this hotel is adjacent to the convention center, so I booked a room for a repeat visit. I am having a totally different experience with this visit-staff very welcoming, friendly and promptly respond to any request or question.The hotel is no worse for the wear-still appears as new as it did on my last visit-well maintained and very clean. Dining options in the hotel are above average and definitely superior to neighboring hotels. I would definitely stay here again, based on this experience.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
SDFLM, Director of Sales at Louisville Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the great comments from your recent stay during your conference. We are thrilled that provided a great service experience for you this time around and appreciate the opportunity to rebuild your confidence in our hotel and we will share your compliments with our team.

Reviewed September 30, 2013

From the time we arrived to the time we left our stay was exceptional. Couldn't ask for a cleaner room and the hospitality of the staff from check in to breakfast this morning was top notch! The omelets were delicious.

Stayed: September 2013
SDFLM, Director of Sales at Louisville Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the great comments, we will pass on your compliments to our housekeeping team and the omlet chef.

Reviewed September 23, 2013

I recently booked three rooms (one for my husband and me plus 2 for two other couples) at this hotel in celebration of my husband's birthday. I specified that we wanted king beds in all 3 rooms at the time of booking. My husband and I were the first to arrive and check in on Friday evening. The check-in process was efficient; however, when we went up to our room, it had 2 double beds. My husband called down to the front desk and was told there were no more king rooms available.

I went back down to the desk and asked to speak to a manager. Tim (the manager on duty) arrived at the desk within a couple of minutes. I explained the issue to him and asked him to find us 3 king rooms for our 2-night stay. He said there were no king rooms available at all. I told him I knew that hotels usually kept rooms open in case of issues like ours and asked him to please check again. He then told me he could move my husband and me into a king room but wouldn't have king rooms available for our other guests until the 2nd night of our stay. I told him that wasn't acceptable and asked him to please call other area hotels and see if any of them had 3 king rooms available. He called 3 or 4 hotels nearby, and none of them had rooms available either. He then said he could give my husband and me the king room for that night and move our guests into king rooms for the second night. He also offered to comp breakfast for all 3 couples for the next morning to compensate for our inconvenience. I told him that breakfast was NOT compensation but was a start in the right direction, fully expecting him to do something additional (bottle of champagne, flowers, voucher for the hotel bar, discount our bill???) before we left on Sunday. No additional compensation came.

When our guests checked in later Friday night, Tim explained the mix-up to them and offered to move them to king rooms for the 2nd night of their stay. Both couples declined, not wanting to unpack then pack up their things the following morning. He was apologetic but offered no additional compensation for their inconvenience.

On Sunday morning, the 6 of us met for breakfast in the hotel's restaurant before heading home. One couple had received 2 breakfast vouchers - one for each morning of their stay - but the others of us had no voucher for Sunday. My husband paid the bill for the 4 of us then we packed our things and got ready to leave. I went to the front desk and asked for a final bill before checking out. There was a $72 charge on our bill for that morning's breakfast. When I questioned the amount, the front desk clerk said she would need to pull our receipt from the restaurant to verify it. After several minutes, she said it was correct, even though our server had told us she was charging the discounted Good Start Breakfast rate for my husband's meal since he only at a piece of toast and coffee. The restaurant manager came over after another few minutes and offered to comp my husband's share of the bill and asked if that was satisfactory. I said it was not, especially after the problem with our rooms. He then said he would comp the entire breakfast, which was, in my opinion, the right thing to do.

While the hotel itself was very nice and comfortable, and the customer service was friendly and helpful overall, the lack of accommodation from Tim, the manager, started our weekend off on a sour note. I kept waiting for him to do something other than comp one breakfast in order to salvage the mix-up, but that something never happened. I expected more from the Marriott and was very disappointed.

I chose to write up this incident not because I felt the hotel was lacking in terms of comfort or amenities (it's a beautiful property in a great downtown location) but rather to elicit some sort of public response from Marriott regarding their handling of our situation. I hope they see this review and take the time to respond.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank FitMomma
SDFLM, Guest Relations Manager at Louisville Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2013

Dear Guest,

We appreciate your feedback and are disappointed that we did not deliver to your expectations. While your request for king beds was noted as a request during your recent stay, the combination of already guaranteed king beds and very strong demand in the market prevented us from being able to accomodate your request after we assigned the kings to those guests that had been guaranteed this bed type.

While we offered the breakfast vouchers to your party for one of the mornings, one couple also recieved a second set of vouchers due to their status in the Marriott Rewards program and apologize for the appearance of inconsistancy. We look forward to the opportuntiy to exceed your expectations in the future.

Guest Relations Team

Reviewed September 22, 2013

I recently completed a 2 night stay at the Marriott Louisville in Downtown Louisville while in town for a trade show at the Kentucky Expo Center. I have to stay that I was very impressed with this hotel in almost every way. I do not normally stay at Marriott hotels, but I might have to consider after this great stay. I think what stuck me most overall is their level of service. From the moment of walking into the lobby, there are numerous friendly staff members to greet and help you. My room was on the 4th floor and was a standard room. The furnishings were in good working order, and the work desk was very user friendly, with great power outlet options. The bed was very comfortable with a great selection of pillows. The bathroom was updated and well stocked. I slept very well in this hotel, which is always a bonus when on business.
I did have breakfast in the morning both days and found the buffet to be adequate albeit a little expensive. The food wasn't the greatest, but there was plenty of fresh fruit and a nice omelet/egg station.
If I have any complaints about the hotel, it is two small ones. First, the wi-fi in the rooms is quite expensive and for the money was not very fast. Especially around 5pm when everyone comes back from work and gets online. Second, the valet parking at the hotel was also expensive, and VERY slow. They just seemed overwhelmed with the number of people at the hotel with cars, which shouldn't be the case for a downtown business hotel.
Other than these two small issues, I found this to be a very nice experience, and I would stay here again for sure!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
SDFLM, Director of Sales at Louisville Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2013

Dear Guest,

We are pleased that you had such a great stay while attending the show out at the EXPO center recently. We are happy that you were able to experience the hospitality of our team and we do indeed hope that we have made a Marriott convert out of you for your future business.

Reviewed September 17, 2013

I was in town for a conference at the Marriott. It was a very nice hotel. It is centrally located to many things in Louisville. The hotel was very clean as were the rooms. They were very service oriented. At slow points the front desk people are in the lobby to see if they can be of assistance. A nice plus is there is a Starbucks in the lobby.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
SDFLM, Director of Sales at Louisville Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments from your stay. We are pleased that you enjoyed the hotel and our conveniant location and we also apppreciate that you were able to experience the service focus of our team and will share your comments with our front office team.

Reviewed September 16, 2013

I am not sure what the normal rooms are like, but I was upgraded to a very nice suite. I was only doing a quick overnight and had to leave early for flight but this was the first time I wish I had a late flight to enjoy the hotel.

I ate at the Italian restaurant. It was also great.

They treat their Platinum members well, and you can easily walk to the river.

Dear Guest,

We are thrilled that we were able to impact your stay with us and that you were able to enjoy your dining experience in Blu Italian Grille. Our Platinum members are our most loyal guests and we appreciate your feedback as a seasoned traveler. We look forward to your return.

Reviewed September 14, 2013

The room I was given was very clean and comfortable. The people from the moment I arrived. They great you at the door. They always go the extra step to be supportive. They have flavored water at the front door so you can be refreshed when you come back from walking around town. The indoor pool is beautiful and the exercise room was very nice.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
SDFLM, Director of Sales at Louisville Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing the highlights from your recent stay. We appreciate you taking the time to acknowledge the warm greeting and the service level througout your stay. It is our goal to provide a great guest experience for all our guests and we are pleased that you were able to experience that while staying as our guest.