“Fun times!”

Got a photo?
Add it.
Phoenix Hill Tavern
Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

Met some friends in Louisville for the weekend and wanted to try something different. Found this place online. Really enjoyed the atmosphere and the live music. Had such a great time we opened and closed this place down two nights in a row!

1  Thank keegrsmom

Reviewed April 12, 2013

I've seen this place has a few really bad reviews and I don't understand why. I'm not from Louisville area, but I spent there 2-3 months on business trips and I can say that, after being there twice, on a Friday night, it was one of the few fun and chill places I've been to in Louisville.
I've been wandering around Highlands area quite a lot and seeing this place from outside so colourful and full of lights, I never thought that I will actually like it. Until I heard on the radio that there was a rock concert there. The bar is split in a lot of different rooms, one with the stage, one for karaoke AND the smoking area, which is very cool from a smoker's perspective, as the dance floor and the DJ are in the same place, so you don't have to miss all the fun while freezing outside smoking.The drinks are not so pricy as I expected for such a popular place, it wasn't very crowded either, and the restrooms are clean. They also have a small cloakroom where you don't have to pay unless you want to leave a tip.
The music was good and I could actually dance (yes, I'm a "dance-aholic"), unlike in other bars that were recommended to me. People are all kinds but ok, we didn't have any problems with jerks, even if we were only 2 girls.
I will definitely go back there if I have a chance to go to Louisville again.

1  Thank Andreea-Urcan
Reviewed January 16, 2013 via mobile

there's always something going on at PHT. at least 5 stages for bands they always promote local bands and singers. I love the deck bar where you're able to smoke year around legally. drinks can be pricey so make sure you take plenty of money. And after you get drunk you can go around the corner to Spinelli's Pizzeria for some of Louisville's best pizza..
please don't forget don't drink and drive be safe have tons of fun

Reviewed October 15, 2012

Rising out of the Highlands in Louisville, like a beacon in the night is Phoenix Hill Tavern. Showcasing live music since... well, forever, this is THE place where locals and visitors alike come to see bands of all genres play. This is the place where people bring their out-of-town guests for a great Friday night... where on any given occasion one can hear everything from acoustic in the tap room, to an eighties cover band in the roof garden.

But the revelry of this particular night was not hampered by the confusion of attempting to decide which type of music you were in the mood for. There was no question. This night was about one thing and one thing only.

METAL

And where better to experience it than the familiar comfort of Phoenix Hill Tavern?
And who can turn down a night with the kings of the pit: (hed)p.e. and Mushroomhead?
Apparently, an entirely packed house could not.

The opening acts also deserve a much appreciated nod. American Head Charge brought the crowd off their feet, while earlier in the night Tenafly Viper, fronted by Mushroomhead's own Waylon Reavis, gave a brief peak of what the crowd had in store for them.

But nothing can easily prepare for the excitement that is raised when the members of Mushroomhead take the stage. The heavy beat of the drums begin, often spewing water and filled with varied colors of light. The guitars and bass kick in. And then, wait for it... emerges the undeniably vicious harmonies of Jeffrey Nothing and Waylon Reavis.

The stage instantaneously and violently erupted with, yes, all eight of them. And so did the crowd.

Mushroomhead never disappoints, and this was no exception. They sang a few newer songs, mixed in with the original sound of such favorites as "Solitaire Unraveling" and "Sun Doesn't Rise".

It is almost painful when they finally leave the stage, if one didn't know what came next.
With a very quick set change, (hed) p.e. overtook the stage, instantly commanding attention. I just can't explain it. Jared Gomes has a "presence", and it demands that you watch, listen, and "feel" everything that he is about to do, whether it be belting out a punked out rap, or handing out political views from the mic. He is absolutely, truly gifted.

In saying so, I've seen them perform at least a dozen times, always with the mad antics of DJ Product to entertain. Some shows were great. Some were better. This one was sheer brilliance.

Mixing up crazy hyped songs like"Waiting To Die", "Renegade", and "Suffa" with the introspective "Half A Man" and the hit "Bartender", was like a maniacal roller coaster ride of "Oh I'm going to jump until I can't feel my feet" to "Dude, these songs actually MEAN something".

And then, when you think that you have gone through every emotion that a rock concert could possibly produce, the crowd quietly heard the opening bars of "The Meadow".

Is it weird to get goosebumps at a metal show?