“A Nice Hotel With Poor Service”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Louisville
Ranked #5 of 102 Hotels in Louisville
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed March 15, 2013

We booked this room as we needed a hotel with high speed internet service as our two children attend cyber school and when traveling they both need to be online in the virtual classroom at the same time. We have stayed in many hotels and this works fine. Except here. I called the hotel prior to booking to insure they had high speed internet. They said yes and to not worry that our children would have ample internet service to attend class. We checked in and were assigned to room 525. Upon entering the room and getting the computers set up I noticed that there was no wireless signal in the bedroom at all. In the living area we had 3 bars of internet. The "High Speed" internet measured at a max of 0.74mbps according to the test I ran. I used the gold standard of internet speed tests. Super slow.

I complained to the front desk clerk and he told me to call the toll free number in the room. I did so. The gentleman on the line was very unfriendly. He told me nothing was wrong with the speed. I asked him why it took 7 minutes to download a video for the kids that normally takes 30 seconds. He advised me that there was nothing he could do. We awoke and the internet was still super slow. Our children could not attend school due to the slow speed of the internet.

I went to check out and a front desk clerk named Shayla was busy making a government rate reservation for someone on the phone. I stood there for 11 minutes and she never even made eye contact with me. Then a gentleman front desk clerk came out and I advised him of the internet problem. To his credit he did adjust the rate somewhat.

I would have given the hotel 2 stars but when we checked into the hotel they authorized our credit card for a small amount for incidentals. Then at 3am while we were sleeping they authorized it again for an additional amount for incidentals. We did not use any item that would have resulted in a charge. No reason at all for that. I used to work in the hotel industry and I cannot stand when a hotel plays around with my card like that. This could be a nice hotel with better service. I would never stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Keith H
Verl W, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Louisville, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2013

Thank you for the review of your stay at Embassy Suites/ Louisville. While the review does not reflect very favorably on the hotel and it's services, it is important to hear such feedback.

I will be calling AT&T regarding both the slow internet access as well as the poor service you received from their technical services line. Slow internet is not a complaint that we get very often. It may have simply been a result of full occupancy and the number of the guests accessing the complimentary service. I am researching the idea of providing a more bandwidth to those guests who must have it for a fee while still maintaining the comp service to others.

As far as the service you received from our team member upon check-out, you have my apologies. I will address this with not only our guest services manager, but also with her directly. I can assure you that her inattention was not intentional.

At Embassy Suites/ Louisville we realize that you have a lot of options available when booking a room during your travels. We work hard to be your number one choice. My team and I hope that you will reconsider and give us a chance to re-gain your confidence in us when you next visit the area.

Verl Wilder

Write a ReviewReviews (1,284)

995 - 1,001 of 1,284 reviews

Reviewed March 14, 2013

While traveling cross country for a job transfer, we stayed for the night at this hotel. Most importantly, this hotel is PET FRIENDLY! My Sammy and I was greeted by a friendly staff who was more than willing to not only make my stay a pleasant one, but also my beloved companion! They gave us a pet welcome packet complete with treats and disposable waste bags. It even had wee wee pads for puppies but we didn't need that since Sammy is potty trained. The rooms were clean and spacious and this hotel did not disappoint with free breakfast included in the price. My only disappointment was that food service was very slow. I went down for dinner on the night of my arrival and the restaurant was practically empty with just myself and one other patron. I ordered a simple meal which took a VERY long time to arrive. The restaurant staff was very nice and apologetic and I was able to remain cordial. Breakfast in the morning seemed to take a long time as well but it was good. The surrounding area is corporate but an awesome place to walk my Sammy. There were areas with plenty of grass and walkways. There is even a man made lake nearby. I'd like to give this hotel an Excellent rating but will not due to the service of the kitchen staff. Overall my stay was satisfying and enjoyable. My main concern is how they treated my Sammy. I would definitely stay there again when traveling to this area but will consider eating out unless they've improved their restaurant service. I recommend this hotel if you're staying in the area and plan to sight see and try the local fare. Unfortunately we had to hit the road the next day but I enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: Unless the restaurant staff has been trained I suggest eating out if you're very hungry. Althou...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Great rooms, exceptional service, great food and overall wonderful place to stay!!! I stayed as part of a business meeting and the staff was excellent. The complimentary snacks and drinks in the evening was pleasant as well, especially after a long day.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 12, 2013 via mobile

We were in town for a cheerleading competition. Several of our families stayed here. This hotel was great! Great food, great drinks, great service. Nice and clean. They had a lady by the name of Martha working there, she went above and beyond for our cheerleaders. The kids loved her. Wish I could have brought Martha home with us.If you get a chance to come here, you won't regret it.

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Nice and quiet; clean and comfortable.

We love to stay at such a nice hotel for an affordable rate. Breakfast was delicious, as usual at Embassy's.

It is out of the city traffic, but not so far from the downtown area that you couldn't easily spend time there, then drive to the hotel. There are plenty of eating establishments close to the hotel also.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 10, 2013

Anytime a hotel has the number one rating in an area I am always skeptical. My skepticism was stomped flat by this wonderful place. It is off the main Louisville locations which is good in my mind because after working all day it is a pleasure to get away to a beautiful comfortable restful hotel. The lobby is one of the best I've seen at an Embassy Suites. The breakfast was great. I was impressed with the extra cook that materialized when a line began to form for omelets. The evening reception was a little light on food but it was not meant to be a meal. The bartenders are fantastic. They believe in service and they are very personable. The room was clean, well equipped and comfortable. Plenty of parking. Internet a little slow at times. Less than 30 minutes to the airport and less than 15 minutes to the Indiana side of the river. This property and staff did not disappoint in any way and demonstrated why it is number 1 in Louisville.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank sometrip
Reviewed March 8, 2013

This is my second or third stay at Louisville's Embassy Suites. I usually stay at Hampton Inns because they are less expensive and have good service, but the customer service and satisfaction I have at this hotel gets the highest honors. And it starts when walking through the door and the aesthetics of the lobby/entrance is warm, calming and inviting. Then the staff at the reception desk is always tops in greeting and concern over the comfort of my room choice -- and will make changes if they can. The suites are immaculate and the breakfast is great. The Elevator Tips go that extra mile. And the service staff at the breakfast/restaurant are friendly without being intrusive. Give yourself the gift of staying at this outstanding Louisville hotel -- you will not regret it!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends