“Trying unsuccessfully to compete with Hampton Inns”

Holiday Inn Express Louisville Northeast
Ranked #66 of 97 Hotels in Louisville
Reviewed May 2, 2010

We ended up at this hotel through a Hotwire purchase when we planned a last minute trip to the KY Derby, and every place within a 50 mile radius of Louisville is gouging you for a room. Our place seemed to be a deal relatively speaking, but it was still way, way overpriced due to the Derby. The hotel was conveniently located near the freeway in a suburban area, that was the best thing about it. The hotel seems newer, or that attempts to update it have been made, but it really shows hard wear and tear. The bad: there was a reddish fruit punch colored stain on the carpet in our room outside the bathroom area. The arms of the desk chair looked like they had been chewed by an animal or a hungry teething child. I take longer showers, and by the time I finished mine and my husband took his the water was lukewarm, not hot. One of the electrical outlets in the room didn't work. We thought the iron was not working until we plugged it in a different outlet and saw that the problem was not the iron itself. There was a man an a woman outside yelling in the middle of our second night who woke both me and my husband up. When we checked out there was trash strewn outside near the entry (paper plates, bottled water packaging). The good: beds were OK, the shower enclosure was newer so taking a shower didn't gross me out, nice large plasma TV, toiletries were decent, mini fridge in the room was super cold and nice to have for holding some drinks. In summary, I wouldn't be afraid to stay here again if it was my only choice, but I'd certainly take time to look for a nearby Hampton Inn instead because for that category/price point of room I think Hampton generally executes a much better experience.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Louisville Northeast

Reviewed July 23, 2009

only one small problem, a lightbulb was missing from night stand lamp.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed March 27, 2009

When we arrived today, we were offered great service and offered a floor of our choice. When we walked into our room, as usual our family was dazzled, but as we stayed, we realized the place wasn't that great. At our table that I am sitting at now writing this review, both the chairs right handle were both broken, a chair that was supposed to be in the corner wasn't there, and the TV has to have it's volume adjusted every time you turn it on (which is hard when you have one family member who never lets you watch the TV.) Although they have high-speed internet and great service, I would not recommend this hotel very much, although I would still come even if it was the last hotel on Earth.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed May 1, 2008

Booked via Holiday Inn 1-800 number. Room had broken nightlatch, like door had been kicked in. Very slow sink, Sink actually backed up during the night filling the sink with brown who-knows-what dried all over the sink and a brown high-water mark almost at the top of the sink. Used tub to wash hands and brush teeth. Complained to desk person when I went down for breakfast. She said she could give me a $20 discount but that was all she was authorized to do. Said I could contact teh GM, who wasnt on site, no idea when he was going to arrive. When I checked out, desk person redid the bill, showing a -$20 adjustment. I contacted the GM when I returned hom. He said that since I had contacted Corp Offices he was cancelling the $20 discount the desk person gave me when I complained in the morning. I told him I had a bill showing the discount, he said that made no difference. He had the original rate. I explained politely to him that I would fight that with my credit card company.. He said why didnt I contact him, I explained he was there, I was checking out. His entire demenor was rude, insulting and threatening. He tried to pass off the backing up sink as a sudden plumbing emergency. I looked down the drain, it was full of gunk, this was no sudden backup. I filed a complaint with Corp Guest Relations and have requested 100% of my money back. There is another chain at this exit, recommend you consider it before you think of staying at this particular Holiday Inn Express. I've never dealt with a GM that made it my fault THEIR service was poor / bad. This GM evidently believes attacking the paying customer is the way to go. I will never stay at this particular hotel property again.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
4  Thank NotABuckeye
Reviewed March 15, 2008

Be aware, hotel management is unethical and unprofessional. Charge in full for 13 rooms for 2 nights for an athletic event that was canceled due to 10 inches of snow. Lied about event not being canceled and other teams staying at property. Spoke to other Holiday Inn properties about their policies and everyone refunded or did not charge for teams that canceled due to weather. Management was very rude, unethical and unprofessional.

Do not stay here!

Stayed: March 2008
4  Thank stklou
Reviewed October 18, 2007

Everything was nice about this property. The room was clean, the breakfast was good (minus the dry biscuits), the pool was clean, and the employees were nice. When I booked my room, it didn't mention the refrigerator or microwave so that was a pleasant surprise. I recommend this to others!

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed May 26, 2006

Great location for shopping and restaurants in the area are plentiful. The facility is clean, well appointed, and the property is very well maintained. The staff is friendly and helpful. The breakfasts are great and the cinnamon rolls are just the best. The decor in the rooms is contemporary and very attractive. The king bed is huge and comfortable, though the plastic-backed mattress cover makes an odd crunching noise when you move around in bed. Nice big bathroom, good showerhead, and the curved shower curtain rod provides unmatched shoulder room.

But if you have anyone in the rooms adjacent to you, forget about your privacy and good luck getting a good night's sleep. Telephone conversations might as well be on a party line and television viewing in the adjacent rooms is evident, even at reduced volumes. I'd go back only with a guarantee that no one would be in the rooms next to me.

It's a shame they omitted the insulation in the walls between rooms. Otherwise, it would be an exceptional place to stay.

• Stayed: May 2006, traveled on business