“Good Sushi...Don't Judge a Book by its Cover!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Oasis Sushi Bar and Soul Food
Ranked #1,227 of 1,748 Restaurants in Louisville
Cuisines: International, Sushi
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Good Sushi...Don't Judge a Book by its Cover!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2012

On a recent trip to Kentucky, I stayed on night at a hotel near the Louisville airport. I was so sick of chain restaurants and decided on a whim to see if there was a sushi place within a close distance. I stumbled across Oasis Sushi, read a few online reviews and decided to check it out. I had a heads up about the location - a dingy little strip of stores in a "so-so" area - so I wasn't shocked. But inside the place was friendly and charming. There was a karaoke party going on in the room behind the dining room, but the walls actually decent soundproofing, so it wasn't annoying. I was the only one there at the time, although a few other couples came in later. The service was good and the sushi was actually pretty good, especially for the price. I would highly suggest it for anyone staying near Louisville Airport that is sick of the usual fast food and chain restaurants that seem to dominate the area.

• Visited July 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

louisville, kentucky
“Sushi + Soul Food = DELIGHTFUL!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2011

Oasis Sushi and Soul Food Karaoke Bar began life as Oasis Sushi Karaoke Bar but now under new management they've recently added Soul Food to the title. And believe me, this is a perfect combination! The restaurant is tucked away in a tiny shopping strip on Preston Highway and pretty easy to miss so you have to keep a sharp lookout.

One inside you'll find several tables and booths as well as three private rooms that can be rented out for karaoke. Nothing fancy at all but the place was clean and pretty colorful. We arrived on a Saturday around 5:30 p.m. or so and were the only ones in the restaurant. By the time we left about 3 - 4 other parties had arrived.

My friend and I started our dining experience with salad accompanied by Ginger Dressing. Crisp, cold, iceberg lettuce topped with Ginger Dressing made for a perfect starter and left both of us wanting more. My friend followed up with an appetizer of Fried Green Tomatoes. Approximately 6 - 7 thickly sliced green tomatoes were fried to a golden crisp on the outside with succulent juiciness on the inside. I'm not sure of the accompanying dipping sauce, maybe a mayo / horseradish base, but it made for a good marriage with the tomatoes. I was so entranced with the tomatoes that my Miso Soup, while satisfactory, was running a distant second.

Our main entrees consisted of my friend's barbeque beef brisket and my Chef's Choice Sushi Roll. My friend proclaimed the Beef Brisket excellent, a huge compliment since he considers himself quite the pit master! A pile of thinly sliced french fries accompanied the brisket. I'm typically not a french fry fan and I don't believe these were hand cut BUT they were some of the BEST fries I have ever tasted. Very little oil or greasiness but perfectly golden and crisp with a steaming fluffy center. Unfortunately I have absolutely no idea what went into the making of my 14 piece Chef's Choice Sushi Roll. I do recall, just by the taste, that it included salmon, cream cheese, and some small crispy bits, fried scallions perhaps? The roll also contained 3 or 4 other items I couldn't identify but registered in my brain as 'mmmm!'

Including free refills for one soft drink and one iced tea, the entire bill totaled about $38 or so, not including tip.

• Visited October 2011