“Fantastic cajun”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Reviewed November 13, 2013

Great food, service and bartenders. We'll be back at least once a month. It is certainly worth the drive from Jeffersonville.

Reviewed October 8, 2013 via mobile

Don't judge the outside---inside this supposed "tavern" is a great restaurant, large and spacious, with outside seating, if preferred. Enjoy the bread and butter---much like New Orleans French bread!! and the choices are plentiful. We picked the Selena's oysters--bacon wrapped oysters in an artichoke and cheese casserole. I would have preferred the bacon more well done, and we mentioned it to our waitress. She promptly sent the owner over and he was so nice--great communication and concern. Kudos for making the customer feel special. The bread pudding with bourbon sauce was A+++!! Next time I will get a po-boy!!!

Reviewed August 10, 2013

I have been to Selena's twice in the past two weeks and once before a year ago. I really enjoy the praline Brie appetizer and the nice patio. The service in my previous two visits was fine. However this last visit the service was terrible. The waitress was prompt at first but, then once food was delivered she was scarce. Didn't notice that I barely ate my chicken salad, which was so drenched in mayo that it was soupy. Then when asked as we are paying if she could keep our iced teas filled as we were going to linger and talk, she stated she was leaving for an appointment. She did bring us an extra tea with the bill, but, I would have excepted for her to simply ask another server to just refill us once or twice. The restaurant was quiet and there was a server for the table next to us. I would think at a restaurant of this quality the staff would be more accommodating. Incidentally, she was still around for the next 20 minutes or so, as our glasses stood empty.
I don't think the Brie is enough for me to return again.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

I've been to Selena's many times. The food is always very good. The service is a crap shoot. Our most recent visit was July 15. It was fairly early for a weeknight dinner and the place was not very crowded when we got there. Our waitress was fairly attentive to start, but as the evening went on we saw less and less of her. At one point I located a water pitcher myself and refilled glasses at our table. When it came time to get the check, one from our party had to go find her in the restaurant.

There are two signs that a restaurant has service issues: 1. When you have a 30 minute wait with empty tables and 2. When water glasses get to empty. There weren't enough people there last night for a wait, but the empty water glass thing was a real problem.

The food was outstanding. I had the New Orleans Medley, which I've had before. It was delicious. Very nice flavor with just enough of a kick. The Wife had the shrimp po-boy and enjoyed it (mostly just eating the shrimp from the sandwich roll). One from the other couple also had the Medley (and he loved it). The other had the gumbo and it was a hit, too.

This is a upper-mid scale restaurant with food that overachieves. The 4 of 5 rating is because of that fact. As a restaurant at that price point, however, service shouldn't be what you resign yourself to putting up with at Big Boy or Denny's. This needs to get fixed and it will be much more of a destination restaurant in Louisville's east end.

1  Thank Keep_A_Happy_Wife
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Our family arrived for our 12:00 reservations and had to wait for another 20 minutes to be seated even though there were many open tables. We had requested inside seating, but we were seated on an outside deck one level above a large group of smokers which took away from our dining experience. That's the reason we wanted inside seating. The food was good, but the service was way below average. Our server only came by once to refill our drinks. We have dined here for the past three years, but I think we'll look elsewhere for a Sunday brunch.

1  Thank Michael S