“Wish I could eat here everyday”
Review of Hammerheads

Hammerheads
Ranked #8 of 1,785 Restaurants in Louisville
Cuisines: American, International
Dining options: Late Night
Neighborhood: Germantown
Louisville, Kentucky
“Wish I could eat here everyday”
Reviewed September 9, 2013 via mobile

If I could eat their food every day I would. It's the best food I've ever had. I had the duck sandwich on a pretzel bun and a strawberry apple hard cider. I only waited about 10 minutes for my food. Sad to say I ate it much faster than that because it was so good, I felt like a snake detaching its jaw and swallowing the sandwich whole.

The atmosphere is really cool. Very chill bartenders and servers who give their honest opinion and recommendations on the menu.

Don't be discouraged by the outside. It's definitely a dive, but its the best dive you'll ever visit.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank yayitsyatesie

Lexington, Kentucky
“Worth the wait”
Reviewed September 6, 2013

Hands down... best meal ever. Ever. This place is the epitome of a hole in the wall restaurant. I ordered the ribs and my husband ordered the fish tacos. We waited for over an hour in freezing temperatures- definitely worth it. We will be back.

• Visited November 2012
Peoria, Illinois
“Hidden gem”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Wow, I only found this place because of trip advisor. We arrived and put our names on e list Saturday at 630. Waited about 30 minutes for a seat at the bar. I would've preferred a table but didn't get the choice. We ordered from a large selection of craft beers which were local and delicious. I had something peachy I can't find in the stores. They seemed to push e French fries appetizer but we didn't get one. I ordered the pblt and she ordered the pulled pork. WOW. I've never had pork belly but it was chewy, juicy, and flavorful. It was a generous portion. She is from the south and loves green top outside of Birmingham, AL and said this was the 2nd best she'd had. The bill with tip was $30. I would go back every single time I am in Louisville. Strongly recommend for food, not necessarily atmosphere or service

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Andrew B
Windsor, Canada
“Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives.......”
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Okay, so I have to say thanks to the Carrabas that was down the street from my hotel that was packed, and being a single I didn't want to wait. So I went back to my hotel and started to do some research. I often like to visit places I've seen on Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives or other shows like that and couldn't find anything in Louisville, which was odd to me for the type of city it is and I swear I've seen places in Louisville on this show. Anyway, I saw that Linda's was closed now, or at least it said so on a website, which was okay since it was dinner, Linda's was more of a breakfast place to me and I'd been there.

So, I stumble across the website for Hammerheads and it's companion restaurant Game. I picked Hammerheads, and although I drove right by Game on the way there I kept going to Hammerheads. I notice a few more similar style places on my way there. Although this place is closer to the city, you don't ever feel like you're right in the city, more like an industrial area on the way, and you end up basically in a neighborhood where the restaurant is right on the corner. Kind of cool, kitschy type place, park on the street and walk toward the restaurant. The first thing you see is all the smoker equipment going on the outside of the building......really cool. I am still amazed that this place hasn't made it on Triple D with Guy Fieri, it is the exact type of place that would be on the show.

Anyway, walk up, guy opens the door and offers to sit me at the bar which is exactly what I want as a single person. To describe the place as looking like a dive would be giving dives a good name. That is not to say it is bad, it seems like it is done like this on purpose. At no time did it feel unclean or anything like that. But for someone who really only dines at fine dining restaurants and has no sense of adventure, they might be put off. It is the kind of place to see initials carved into the wall or table, but it is a super cool place. I felt right at home when I got there. It seems as though most other folks including the bartender who served me felt the same way. I noted it was my first time and instantly the people seated on either side of me chimed in telling me what they like, that the food is amazing, etc. That is usually a good sign unless they pack the place with shills (highly unlikely, the food is amazing so they wouldn't have to).

I get a local beer on tap, check out the menu and it is so packed with yummy sounding items that I ask the bartender for his top 3 favorites. I settle on the pulled smoked duck sandwich with the truffle fries fried in duck fat.......yeah, awesome stuff. The duck sandwich was tender and juicy, on a pretzel bun, added the house sauce, this was a top notch sandwich. I don't impress easily, but I am in Louisville every couple months and will make a point of going there every time to eventually try everything on the menu. I have had fries fried in duck fat before and they are spectacular as usual. They don't really need sauce/ketchup, but I experimented with some mixtures just for fun.

Lastly, I simply had to try the bacon brownie. Yes, that's right, bacon brownie. Too big to finish, I took it to the hotel and finished it there, it was amazing. Hard to describe, but if you like bacon and you like chocolate, well, Reese's has their new flavor! In addition, the bill altogether was under $30 for me with all that food and the beer. I do want to come back and try the smoked mac & cheese!

Again, I don't gush about a place usually, but this was well worth the drive from outside of town, will go back for sure. I recommend you do the same when in the area. It may not be for everyone, but it was sure for me.

• Visited August 2013
Louisville, Kentucky, United States
“A Man's Dream...”
Reviewed August 21, 2013

This place is unreal. I know some people might have a problem with the different meats but honestly, it doesn't get any better.

I take my son here on our guys nights out and he loves it. Food is awesome. Environment is great and it is unique.

Go for it.