“Wow-- great food in a tiny space”
Review of Hammerheads

Hammerheads
Ranked #8 of 1,806 Restaurants in Louisville
Cuisines: American, International
Dining options: Late Night
Neighborhood: Germantown
Reviewed January 20, 2013

Hammerheads is tiny spot in Germantown that is producing great food in a tiny space-- I would classify it as "a hole in the wall" but my daughter corrected me with "gastropub". We followed the recommendation to get there before 6PM and were immediately seated. When we left at 7:30PM, the place was SRO with people waiting outside in the cold. All of the entrees were delicious-- my daughter who trims all of the fat off any steak she eats ordered the pork belly sandwich and had an epiphany during Epiphany-- she raved about it. I had the shrimp and grits and it was totally different that any other version of this dish that I have ever had-- unique but quite delicious! Duck tacos were "off the hook" . Service was friendly and fast-- everybody in the place (except us) was a hipster and seemed to be regulars, but we were comfortable even though we didn't have tatoos or piercings.

1  Thank papanew77363

Reviewed December 28, 2012

My friend and I found Hammerheads to be a complete 'hole in the wall' in the best way possible. Tiny little restaurant with lots of noise, people, and really good food. I only give 4 stars because we were seated at the end of the bar next to the door and were constantly jostled by people going in and out.

We arrived around 6:20 on a Friday night and the placed was already packed to the gills. In fact it was over capacity and we were asked to wait outside until other diners left. After about 15 minutes or so we were seated at the bar.

Unfortunately they were out of chicken-n-waffles so my friend selected the crispy smoked catfish sandwich which he found very satisfying. I chose a pulled duck slider as an appetizer and pork belly tacos for my entree. We shared a basket of Grippo fries, so named after Grippo Potato Chips. It was a struggle trying to save some fries to go with our entrees.

The duck slider was a little on the dry side but the homemade barbeque sauce sitting on the bar was the perfect condiment to accompany the slider. My tacos were simply sublime. The jalapeno-lime aioli with cilantro, pico de gallo and twist of lime, all blended together for a perfect marriage.

We'll definitely be going back for the chicken-n-waffles, but may try a Tues or Weds night when it isn't so crowded. Be Warned - if you don't like tight spaces, lots of noise and crowds of people, this is not the place for you. If, however, you like good food with a twist in flavor, Hammerheads has definitely got you covered.

Our total bill with one soft drink and one ice tea, came to $30 not including tip.

Reviewed December 7, 2012

Wow! Great casual place in the Germantown neghborhood. Be warned- this place is small and typically packed - We went last night at 6:00 and got one of the last tables. Noisy, dive bar atmosphere as expected was a great match to our mood. Not much on atmosphere- this place is all about the food and beer.
Between the 4 of us, we had 3 flavors of fries- all very good. My truffle fries were amazing ! ( and $3!) . My friend's smoked mac and cheese was really good ( she declared it one of her favorites), we were however surprised at how spicy it was (chipotle chili? ) without any mention of that on the menu or by server.

We all ordered different things and tasted. Among the favorites: beef brisket, BBQ pork and my duck tacos which were awesome ( $10). Two beautiful, fresh corn tortillas very well-stuffed with confit-type duck topped with a fresh pico and some kind of wonderful aioli. Messy as hell- they dripped goodness with every bite. We had to pass on the bacon brownie- we were far too stuffed.
If you love good food and in a rowdy mood, this is a great choice!
Deb

Reviewed December 1, 2012

What a refreshing departure from our usual Saturday night out. This place has more authenticity than any restaurant we've tried in years...nestled in the heart of Germantown, the menu is as varied and interesting as the clientele. Loved the food, eclectic ambiance and excellent service. We had the veggie burger, a brisket sandwich and side of hummus. And the prices, VERY reasonable. Friends had fish, fries, burgers and beans...everyone cleaned their plates. We'll be back!

Reviewed November 27, 2012

Very unusual setting. Parking is difficult and there are very few tables. The food was good but they only have a beer license and do not sell wine. It was crowded and not relaxing. Will not return, just not my cup of tea.

1  Thank KYTRAVELBABE