“Season Ticket Holder - love the zoo!”
Review of Louisville Zoo

Louisville Zoo
Ranked #13 of 171 things to do in Louisville
Louisville, KY
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Season Ticket Holder - love the zoo!”
Reviewed June 17, 2013

My children and I love the Louisville Zoo. We are members so we frequent it whenever we get the urge. The 4D ride is great. The trains and back up and running again, but we have yet to ride those since the closure. I love the seal and sea lion exhibit. I think it's my favorite part. The only downside to the zoo is that you aren't guaranteed certain animals will be on display or at what times. There have been many times we have not seen the polar bears or the grizzleys, etc, but since we are members, we just move on and hope we catch them next time. I can see how this would be frustrating if you do not frequent the zoo and came just to see them.

1 Thank WildcatBlueMisti

Bryant, Indiana
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Family vaction”
Reviewed June 15, 2013

A little pricey and spread out, a lot of walking. It was really hot the day we went which was a little too much for my 14 year old daughter and husband to take but my 11 year old son and I enjoyed it. Be advised: if you spend the extra money for the theatre attraction, there are scheduled movie times which were not mentioned to us at the ticket booth. We really enjoyed the bears and the gorillas. We probably won't return to Louisville just for this specifically, but glad we went.

Ohio
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Great Zoo!”
Reviewed June 13, 2013

This was our first trip to the Louisville area. I was traveling with my family which consists of myself, my husband, our 11 year old daughter, 6 year old daughter, and 2 month old son. We have been to several other large zoos such as Columbus and Pittsburgh but this was by far the best. The BAD: We had purchased our tickets online and brought the printed confirmations. The man that was at the gate checking tickets was a little confused, almost seemed like he had never seen an online ticket purchase before, so it took a little longer to get through the gate than others. The water playground for the kids was a nice thought, but the area was cramped and over-crowded. My 6 year old was excited to see the polar bears and the elephants but neither were at their exhibits. As like with many other similar attractions the gift shops and cafes were way overly priced. The GOOD: The price for admission was very reasonable. This zoo is very big. So you can definitely make it a whole day activity. There were plenty of shaded areas and benches. The zoo was very clean and free of trash and the landscaping was very nice. We didn't do any of the extras like the train, trolley, or theater because we had a strict budget.

Johnson City, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Run down and expensive”
Reviewed June 13, 2013

We had just come from the Cleveland Metroparks Zoo the day before. The Louisville zoo was a big disappointment. They charged for parking, the cost to enter was higher, they charged for the tram rides and they had very little food variety or sources - waited in line for 20 minutes for a burger. The zoo itself was in bad repair and not very clean. Many of the animals were old or sick or both and were missing from the exhibits. Find someplace else to go.

Russellville, Kentucky
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“Very nice Zoo”
Reviewed June 11, 2013

Visited with spouse and two grown children. Just did the basic 'zoo' part - did not go on the Tram, or do the Dinosaur attraction, or the 4-D Theater. Zoo's layout is very pretty and nice. There is a lot of walking, but that is to be expected. We went on a day that was chilly in the morning (we had to wear our jackets), so zoo was not very crowded. The staff that we did see were very friendly. We got to see most of the animals including the polar bears, giraffes, and elephants (who put on a 'show' for us). Loved watching the grizzlies run and play. We found the map they give you when you enter to be a little confusing at places, and had to retrace our steps to reach the next area. Didn't see too many 'staff' around, and we have been to smaller zoos that had more animal presentations and programs. As with most attractions today, there was a $5 parking fee (you pay when you pay for your tickets), and food was overly priced. The playgrounds and Splash Park looked really fun for those who visit with small children. We would recommend this zoo to anyone who loves animals and going to zoos - admission price and zoo itself is comparable to other zoos of this size.

Visited June 2013

Been to Louisville Zoo? Share your experiences!