“Lots of great animals”
Review of Louisville Zoo

Louisville Zoo
Ranked #13 of 191 things to do in Louisville
Reviewed September 9, 2012

We had heard the Louisville Zoo was great. I would rate it average as they do have some great animals, but some of the older enclosures are lacking in basic care (clean out overgrown dead vegetation) which I interpret as carrying over to the animals. Yes they are building new enclosures, but keep up basic maintenance on older ones also! My other disappointment was the food ONE food shack sold "side" salads everything else was fried or deep fried! If you want a healthy meal plan on leaving to get food and come back after lunch or bring your own to eat by the butterfly garden!

1  Thank terryO_10
Write a ReviewReviews (1,237)
All reviews
in 17 reviews
"tiger"
in 52 reviews

Reviewed September 7, 2012

This is a very good zoo. It is very clean and well cared for. The employees are great and very knowledgeable. My husband and I were very impressed with it. We love that our view of the animals (especially the lions) was so open and we didn't have to view them through a fence. I got to feed the giraffes and that was great for me since they are my favorite animal. We both seen several animals that we had never seen before. If we lived closer we would definitely have a membership and use it OFTEN!!!! Louisville, KY you are BLESSED with such a nice zoo!!!!

1  Thank turtlee416
Reviewed September 5, 2012

The only places I have to compare it to are the Cincinnati Zoo and Newport Aquarium. These places are within about two hours drive of the Louisville Zoo. Admittedly, I am not big on the idea of profiteering off holding animals captive for spectators. But beyond that, I feel that the Louisville Zoo leaves something to be desired. Also, this summer when I visited, I saw the cutest large bird, which I believe was an emu. It was of course caged up, and we were looking at and talking to it through the opening in the cage. An employee mentioned to us that this animal was not actually part of the exhibit, explaining that the animal had done something "wrong" and was therefore in isolation for a time. :( That did not leave me with a positive impression.

Reviewed September 5, 2012

My son and I have visited a lot of zoos over the years. This one is great! It started to rain, and it was still fun! It's very pretty. They have one of the largest collections of snakes I've ever seen. The staff was really nice. The landscaping is lovely. Don't miss the white alligator!