“Great for small kids & bigger kids” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #12 of 168 things to do in Louisville
Indianapolis, Indiana
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Great for small kids & bigger kids”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2011

I grew up visiting this zoo every few years, I hadn't been in a while so thought I would take the kids. We visited the zoo which my kids 10 & 11 thought they had outgrown! They really enjoyed it the zoo has many cool new exhibits like the glacier polar bear exhibit. Also has a splash park for kiddos, so if you're going when it's warm wear water friendly clothes or pack the kids a swimsuit.

1 Thank BrilliantBlonde

Metro Atlanta
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 87 helpful votes
“Terrific interactive zoo”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2011

We always make a point of visiting zoos and this is easily one of the top three we've been to. What sets it apart are the interactive activities, from feeding giraffes to walking among wallaroos to feeding the lorikeets, who took a hilarious interest in my wife's straw sunhat. At one point she had three colorful passengers and four more waiting on a branch like airliners lined up at O'Hare.

It was a scorcher when we visited and the huge, well-appointed splash pad was the perfect after-lunch break. The kids (2 and 4) had a blast and we all left refreshed, them from the water and we adults from the chance to sit for a while. Photo ops are terrific there (as they are throughout the zoo) but use caution because it would be easy to get your camera wet.

With such small kids along we didn't get the chance to try some of the more adventurous zoo features like the zipline and so on, but will definitely plan a longer visit the next time we're in Louisville.

Bottom line: fantastic zoo, highly recommended.

Visited July 2011
5 Thank skyaa1
Louisville, Kentucky
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“One of the best zoos I've visited!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2011

This zoo has plenty to keep visitors occupied for a good 4 - 5 hours. Here are the finer points of the zoo in our eyes:

1. The animals were all out and moving around - even in the summer heat! This was a huge bonus.

2. For a mere $1.00, we got to feed a giraffe and touched her neck. While I've seen giraffes before, I've definitely never felt or fed one before!

3. We actually got to hear a male lion rawr. The lion enclosure is right next to the giraffe feeding area and I guess he was frustrated that he wasn't getting fed the giraffe. It was very cool!

4. There was a wallaby enclosure where you actually are able to walk around in (with a friendly zoo employee). If a wallaby happens to be right next to the trail, all the better! We thought that was really neat. They fed the emu in an adjacent enclosure while we were touring around which was an added perk (that was pretty much all luck on our timing).

5. The zoo was easy to find with plenty of parking and was affordable. The grounds were pleasant and there were a couple of misting stations for the hot day. There were few obstacles to taking great pictures of the animals.

My friend's 2 year old is still repeating some of her favorite moments of the trip to her dad, who wasn't able to go.

All in all, I would highly recommend this for a family adventure day. We really enjoyed ourselves.

Visited July 2011
4 Thank Lolaloos
Lexington, Kentucky
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Love it!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2011

This is one of my families favorite places to go. It's so relaxing and there are so may wonderful animals to see. We just absolutely love it!

1 Thank LLS1082
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“Great Zoo!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2011

I have no idea where this zoo ranks on a national level, but in my opinion it is a top 10. The layout is very convenient, especially for pushing a stroller around the park. There is a great variety of animals and their cage areas are well maintained. IIRC, the zoo cost around $13 per person for adults. They have a huge water park/play area in the center of the zoo for children. The petting zoo was a little disappointing as there were only a handful of goats that you could pet, but that was the only drawback. We were able to see all of the animal exhibits in right at three hours. The zoo has free parking.

5 Thank PC524

Been to Louisville Zoo? Share your experiences!