“Beautiful”
Review of Cave Hill Cemetery

Cave Hill Cemetery
Ranked #6 of 191 things to do in Louisville
Reviewed October 13, 2013

This is a garden cemetery and it is beautiful. If you stop at the office you can get a map of the most famous/popular/interesting grave sights in the cemetery. We saw the cemetery first with City First Tours and then we went back later to see additional sights. The section for fallen military is very well done and moving. There is a book of names so you can see if you may have any relatives there.

We completely enjoyed this respectful, peaceful and beautiful cemetery.

1  Thank AngieatBamaOnTheRoad

Reviewed October 10, 2013

My mother and I enjoy visiting different cemeteries and it's intriguing how different they all are. Cavehill Cemetery is beautiful and has such history throughout. We loved reading the tributes left from loved ones. It has a Civil war area to present day set on 300 acres. Truly a beautiful place to visit.

1  Thank Cindy A
Reviewed October 9, 2013

A nice since of history; however, it is hard to get to. Easy to find; however finding a way in is a bit frustrating.

Reviewed October 3, 2013

We found out about Colonol Sanders resting place on www.roadsideamerica.com and even though I had the web page printed we should have followed their instructions to go straight there .... "Enter the cemetery from the Grinstead Drive entrance. Turn right immediately after you enter, and follow the weathered yellow line. It ends at the grave, on the right. " ... a road trip is not a road trip in our book without a bit of cemetery mooching!

Well for cemetery mooching this is the place to do it! Place is massive -- and we came through the main entrance on Baxter Drive and left the car near the gates - never sure how far you should drive into these places... well we walked and walked and walked .... and mooched and mooched - and no sign of the King of KFC ... we did see some fantastic stonework, monuments, statues, and other memorials --- some grandiose - some simple. Lovely landscapes and trees and a lake.

We finally found an office - an air -conditioned haven in the humid 90+F and asked the nice lady at the desk the way to the Colonel - and she gave us a map and highlighted the route. Only half way there .... and then we would have to walk all the way back to the car!! Pfft!!! It was advised we walk back to the car and drive back through - in our air-conditioned SUV .... what a smart plan!! So we did ..... all because we did not follow the instructions I had printed off - lesson learned. But with this lesson came the opportunity to see such a splendid cemetery - well looked after - vast in size and history.

We did make it to Harland Sanders' final resting place - and I am pleased to say not a Bargain Bucket was in site. My husband said a little prayer of thanks- to the food gods I think - for creating a man that made fried chicken so finger lickin' good!

Reviewed October 2, 2013

I spent over 2 hours taking pictures of all the wonderful grave art here. Of course one of the reasons why I came here was for KFC Gen Sanders but I found so much more.
Be warned though, this place is HUGE. You really do need a map of the place. the office is somewhat in the middle of the cemetery. also this place closes early! Like at 445pm

4  Thank kschatterbox

Been to Cave Hill Cemetery? Share your experiences!