“Tasty pizza”

Ranked #84 of 1,821 Restaurants in Louisville
Cuisines: Pizza
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: East Louisville
Description: Established in April 2011Coals Artisan Pizza is located in the promenade of the historic Vogue Theater in Louisville, Kentucky. This is the first coal-fire pizza in the state of Kentucky. Special attention is paid to the dough which is hand kneaded and refrigerated for 3 days allowing for maximum flavor development in the crust. Whenever possible Ingredients are sourced locally. The pizzas can be described as American Neapolitan. Thin crust with a puffy cornicione using American ingredients.
Reviewed February 28, 2014

A party of 9 went here, including 3 children. We were warmly greeted and seated right away. Our waiter took the drink order quickly, then pizza orders. The thin crusted pizza had a great flavor! The coal oven made a huge difference in the tasty category! We ordered 4 different ones and each was delicious. If you're looking for something besides the typical chain type, this is the place to try!

Reviewed February 18, 2014

Walked in this small cozy establishment on a BUSY Tuesday night but was immediately greeted with a smile and seated. It is a really small but nicely appointed place. The pizzas are all named after Louisville neighborhoods. My husband and I had the Middletown and it was delicious as the ingredients are fresh and not your typical chain quality ingredients. I would recommend; the prices are reasonable ( 1 pizza, 1 water and 1 drink $18.00 + tip), the atmosphere is nice and the food is different. The coal oven makes a difference!

Reviewed February 7, 2014

walked into restaurant on a busy Friday night. Asked the hostess about availability at bar. She replied "I don't know, go see". not a friendly welcome. Food was bland, bartender took awhile to get our order. Left after a disappointing meal and hostess never bothered to say good night.
Will not go back.

Reviewed January 9, 2014

This place uses a real coal-fired brick oven that in four minutes makes the crust moderately thin and toasty, so if you like your crust that way, you'll be delighted. The Pizzas are named after Louisville neighborhoods-- I had the Clifton, and it was DELICIOUS. I know some people complain about this place being pricy, but they have a great lunch deal, a 10" pizza and a big house salad for $8.95. The salad was very fresh and was sprinkled with cheese cubes- mozzarella, I think. I wouldn't call the two hunks of bread that come with the salad "croutons"-- they're a little dense, but very tasty. The bar has a number of craft beers, and those aren't cheap, but mixed drinks looked decent and soft drinks are only a little more expensive than most places. We got there at about 1:00 p.m. and they were not terribly busy, so the service was excellent, too.

Reviewed November 14, 2013

I was so excited to see that Louisville had a Coal oven pizza joint and finally had the chance to try it out for lunch this week. The atmosphere is really nice with an attractive full bar, modern lighting, and dark painted woodwork.

Since I was there for lunch I decided to try one of the lunch combos, which included a small pizza and my choice of house salad or a cup of soup. I had the roasted tomato soup. Described on the menu to have coal oven roasted tomatoes, fresh basil and house croutons. It sounded delicious so I had to try it. Not delicious. The tomato taste was very concentrated like that of tomato paste, and while it did have fresh basil that was about the only flavor there. The soup came with one large crouton that was so hard it had to be soaked in the soup for a while to be edible. For my pizza I chose the St. Matthews, which is Coal's version of the margherita pizza. It was just okay for me. Again, I found that it lacked flavor. My favorite part of the meal was the herb and cheese flat bread appetizer.

Finally, while the service was adequate, we did find ourselves waiting a bit for visits from the server who seemed overwhelmed.

While I had high hopes, Coal's left me a bit disappointed.