“Much Better Than Expected”

Ramada Plaza Louisville Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #85 of 96 Hotels in Louisville
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“Much Better Than Expected”
Reviewed May 12, 2012

Was going down to Louisville for the Kentucky Derby, and with the absolute cheapest hotels in the area starting at $225 a night that weekend, I took a chance on Priceline and ended up with a room at the Ramada Plaza for only $60! However, upon seeing all the reviews here for the hotel I was now financially obligated to stay at, I thought I made a terrible decision. That ended up being very far from the case.

Upon pulling up, the hotel had an a very clean and impressive facade and although previous reviews had mentioned a shortage of parking, even with the hotel being almost fully booked I found there was actually ample parking. The lobby itself was also much nicer than expected. It had a very professional and large front desk, with multiple staff waiting to help, and plenty of chairs and a couch for sitting. Without having to wait, the front desk allowed us to check in early (10:30am), explained shuttle options for getting to the Derby and then we headed to our room.

To get to the room, we walked through the large and clean indoor pool area (although there was an entrance through a hallway as well, it just wasn't as convenient). The room was much larger than your average "standard" guest room. It had a new flat screen tv, high ceilings and large bathroom with a small separate single vanity. Quite a few reviews had complained about dirty rooms in need of updates, but this one was as clean as I'd expect from a decent hotel and no item was really in need of updating. Only qualms I did have with the room was the lack of effective lighting (which may have been helped by the only window looking out on the pool instead of outside) and a severe lack of outlets. Also, a few reviews complained about a "urine" smell in the hallways. I walked through the hallways, and it did smell a bit wet, but didn't even smell musty and was very far from smelling like urine. Fortunately, no matter what you think it smells like, it stays in the hall and not in the rooms.

As for the location, in and of itself is worth more than the ratings this hotel has been commonly given. It is right off the highway and is a quick 15-20 minute drive from the derby and downtown Louisville. The immediate area of the hotel is actually very nice (Hurstbourne is what it's called if I remember correctly) and within a couple minutes drive is almost any type of restaurant you could want. Also, if you're not feeling like driving, there's a seemingly popular restaurant right in the hotel to go along with a nice coffee shop, not to mention the full service Dairy Queen across the parking lot.

In all, I was absolutely shocked that this hotel had received as many bad reviews as it did. There's nothing 1 or 2 star about this place; it is clean, the staff is professional, and it is by no means difficult to entertain yourself from it's location. I would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jhender85

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed May 2, 2012

This is the first tiem I am leaving a review - and I am going to put this on every site i can find. To start with - this hotel needs a major redecorating overhaul. The center area where the pool is looks very nice - but the rooms are awful. Feels like a very cheap motel. When I checked in the lady that checked us in was borderline rude and seemed annoyed by my questions. She did tell me we were in a room that opened out into the courtyard. Well - that was not true - we had a corner room that "looked" out into a wall that lead to the courtyard. Also, the room was very small - with terrible windows (very old - thin and not safe looking) with a bathroom that had chipped and peeling caulk. My daughter looked at me and said - this room feels dirty...I don't want to sleep here. I certainly did not want to pay the 85.00/night price which did not include breakfast - for a 50/night quality room. I went back to the front desk - pissed - and the manager and his assistant were VERY helpful and moved me to a suite for the same price. Well - that wasn't exactly a blessing. The room was bigger and had a kitchenette - but no table and no chairs and the same 1982 decor. No TV remote in the living room - no phone working in the living room and no bedding for the pull out couch. We called (on the bedroom phone) and were told they do not keep the bedding in the room on purpose (makes me wonder about the clientele...) They sent someone up with bedding and a remote and we showed him the phone -- and the garbage we found behind the dresser (including a beer can and a candy wrapper) while moving the furniture to get the light plugged in so they would work. He was very helpful though. (3 out of 4 staff members were helpful as best they could) So - we got to moving our food into the fridge - WOW - what a mess. Freezer section caked with over 2 inches of ice - so much that you could not get to the dial to change any settings on the fridge - also - you couldn't open the door to put in the missing wrack that was just tossed in there and you could not fix the rod in the door that had rotted through ...LOVELY. The bathroom was in better shape though. Next fun part was no service to the room. So next day after 4 I had to call to find out if anyone was going to come to the room - they said they would send someone - which they did - but they did a terrible job - didn't even touch the coffeepot nor any of the table or dresser tops. They made the beds and replaced a few towels - that was it. We were with a volleyball team so there were over 10 families staying in this hotel - every single family reported a bad experience. Some had no hot water - some had flickering lights - some had no remote at all ...or no working phone. all of us had complaints about the noise and the courtyard. There are at least 6-8 lights out in the courtyard that gets you from the rooms to the pool - only one light worked - it was pitch black at night - and loud scary sounding teens/young adults hanging out there till all hours. Cake topper -- no bill under my door the day of checkout. REALLY? When i went to the front desk and asked why didn't I get a bill - why do i have to come physically check out? I was told - oh we don't do that here - we only have one person on staff at night. NO KIDDING!!??!! explains a lot. What a cheap hotel - I will not stay there again - but more than that - i won't let anyone i know stay there again and our team will be making sure our volleyball club knows not to book at this hotel ever again for any of our potential 28 teams that compete in tournaments in Louisville. They have some work to do there folks. Lots of work.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank K G

Travelers are raving about these Louisville hotels

Cincinnati
Reviewed April 27, 2012

Not a hotel that I would recommend. I normally do not leave reviews but I have been so furious tonight while driving around the parking lot for 25 minutes that I felt I should warn others. The conference center is located in a separate building directly behind the hotel. Any time there is an event your chances of parking within 2 miles of your room are slim and none. I checked in on Wed. Around 4 pm no parking anywhere. Thurs. I found a spot just as someone was pulling out. And tonight Fri. I drove around for 25 min. Ridiculous!!!!!! If your are going to have a hotel that people are paying to stay at get some parking!!! Rooms are outdated, hallways are dirty and My room had no air or heat. Horrible experience. Don't stay here. Trust me.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Louisville, Kentucky, United States
Reviewed April 24, 2012

My family spent Two night at the Ramada on Bluegrass Parkway in Louisville Ky. My family and I had a great experience at the Ramada. She enjoyed swimming and spending time with friends. It was a great place to go and without going out of town. I would recommend this location to friends and family. The staff was great and very helpful.
THANKS RAMADA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shelby Family

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Pflugerville
Reviewed April 24, 2012

The over all of this Hotel was great, The staff went out of there way for anything that we needed, the pool is very clean,

Room Tip: Always tell the staff what you are looking for and they will help you pick the best room for you
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Detroit
Reviewed April 24, 2012

It is amazing this place is still open! The halls smell of urine and the rooms are full of old out of date items. The bathroom has some kind of funk in there. I refused to even stay because I was honestly to afraid of bugs or something. They must be very used to it because when I went to the front desk and asked to check out Shawn who was working the front desk asked no questions. I feel bad for him because it is the owners who should put MILLIONS into updating or tearing that place down. I went to the Best Western on Bunsen and had a much better room for a lower price!!!

Room Tip: Go elsewhere!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank NyMASON75
Ramada P, Manager at Ramada Plaza Louisville Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, April 30, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to bring these matters to our attention. We are updating our property continuiously and this is very important information to us. Rest assured all concerns will be addressed.
Louisville
Reviewed April 24, 2012

Came just to get a room, let the kids swim, and watch the game on the big screen in the pool area. What a great set up!The employees were so nice, they even had a life guard! I can't think of anything that wasn't great! Oh, and having Wick's pizza right their was pretty cool also. All my friends said they were going to have their next birthday party their they had so much fun. Thanks Ramada for everything. We'll be back!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your response. We pride ourselves in creating a family atmosphere.