“Outstanding Chinese food”

Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Louisville, Kentucky
“Outstanding Chinese food”
Reviewed October 22, 2012

This is a great place to stop or dinner. They respect special requests. They will modify the cooking for your wants. The staff is helpful. The tofo dishes are wonderful. I love the steamed dumplings. I love the Honey Chicken dish. The beef and green onion dish was very good!! The fish belly soup is one of the best soups I have ever had! This is worth a stop! They do a nice job for carry out.

Visited October 2012

Louisville, Kentucky, United States
“Disappointing”
Reviewed August 15, 2012

My wife and I visited the Peking City Cafe. She ordered the eggplant and I had the velvet crab soup. Both were good but did not stand out. The service was alittle bit condescending as we had just come off the road and were not as dressed up as some of the other patrons. Its not worth a return trip for me -- there is better Chines food further up Shelbyville Road near Fairmeade Avenue.

• Visited August 2012
Evansville, Indiana
“Disappointing”
Reviewed November 28, 2011

I was thrilled to find out there was a restaurant in Louisville serving my favorite Chinese item (Xiao Long Bao - dumplings with a layer of soup) which I was introduced to on my first visit to Hong Kong in 2009. Sadly, the dumplings were nothing like the delicate treats that practically melt in your mouth and must be handled with great care to prevent breaking the outer layer before it reaches your mouth. The dough was far too thick.

The other items I ordered (hot and sour soup and curry chicken) were average. If I lived in the vicinity I might give them a second chance, but definitely not worth the 2+ hour drive from Indiana.

• Visited November 2011
Louisville, KY
“A welcome return to traditional full-service Chinese cuisine in Louisville.”
Reviewed June 18, 2011

I had seen several advertisements for this restaurant, but had not yet taken the chance to try it. I don't know what I was waiting for, because both my visits in April were very good experiences.

This relative newcomer on Louisville's Asian dining scene breaks the current mega-buffet trend, concentrating on service, atmosphere and quality instead. The interior is tastefully decorated in shades of burgundy and gold, with occasional Asian accents, and would impress a business client or a first date. On both visits, I noted a decent portion of the clientele were Asian; this lends a bit of "street cred" to the establishment.

Most of the classic Chinese-American favorites are here: sweet and sour, General Tso's, etc. A couple of more "authentic" Chinese dishes are included, most notably in the "sa cha" style sauce.

I've ordered the Double Cooked Pork (a dish I often use for comparison) and the Emperor's Shrimp and Scallops, which is said to be in an "imported Chinese barbecue sauce". To my delight, it was indeed the sa cha sauce, which is a decidedly savory seafood-flavored sauce. The Double Cooked Pork had the right combination of soya and Hoisin sauce; not too salty, and not swimming in the sauce either.

The food looked as good as it tasted, as you can see in the photos I've included.

The overall value is decent. It's perhaps a little more expensive than your neighborhood takey-outey, more along the lines of P.F. Chang's, but the food quality and atmosphere more than make up for it. I highly recommend this place for a special occasion, or casual romantic evening.

• Visited April 2011
Louisville, Kentucky
“Great Asian restaurant”
Reviewed January 18, 2011

Amazing Chinese food! Outstanding service! The soups are wonderful! Every time we have gone to this restaurant we have been happy!!!

• Visited January 2011