“Clean plates.”

Ranked #94 of 1,770 Restaurants in Louisville
Cuisines: American, European, Gastropub
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Eiderdown focuses on German cuisine with American/Southern accents. House made sausages and pretzels are some of the favorites. There's a full bar and 21 taps featuring many German beers. We have liter mugs also!! Outdoor seating and seasonal specials and cocktails are also available.
“Clean plates.”
Reviewed August 1, 2014 via mobile

Basically my thought is this. If you are not eating here you are missing out in a big, big way.

I had the freaknik sandwich, which might be the best sandwich I've ever had. Warm potato salad was incredible. Beer cheese super tasty. Shrimp and barley was pretty outstanding as well.

Great beer selection and friendly staff. Cant believe we were the only table in the place at 1pm on a Friday. Eat at Eiderdown. You won't be disappointed

Indianapolis, Indiana
“Delicious food, but service/execution was a little off, therefore 4*”
Reviewed July 22, 2014

Louisville's restaurant scene continues to impress. Eiderdown is an interesting restaurant in the Germantown neighborhood of the city...and it was bustling on a Saturday night. The neighborhood is trying to come back (as are a few others in Louisville) but it is a working class feel and inside the restaurant is homey and lively. Dark wood, nice bar, kitchen, etc. full of action.

Our waitress was really the only thing keeping this from a 5 star visit. I ate with two other friends and the food was tremendous. Had the beer cheese to start (if we did it over again, we would have gone with the fries for a dollar extra ... we ended up getting an order to finish it). Beer cheese is a lesser-known Kentucky food ... and that's too bad. Done well it is my favorite appetizer. It was very good here.

We ordered our dinners and each ordered a salad to start. As noted before, we also threw in the fries after using up the bread that came with the beer cheese. The salads came and almost immediately our entrees came. I'm not sure who is to blame for that -- but it certainly could have been better.

All of the salads were great -- fresh and well portioned. The entrees were delicious as well ... one friend had the wurst, another the steak and I had the lamb shoulder which was incredible. One of the most tender and flavorful dishes I've had this year. I had a nice glass of red zin and the meal overall was excellent.

Based on the service, etc. we decided to go elsewhere for dessert, but the vibe, feel, etc. was nice. I will go back -- if nothing else to try the duck fat popcorn. I just hope we don't get the same waitress.

• Visited July 2014
“Interesting and delicious dishes”
Reviewed June 17, 2014

One person in our group wrinkled her nose at "German food", but it was the only highly recommended place open for Sunday lunch. Afterward, were all so glad it was (even the nose-wrinkler)! We were impressed with every dish.

I had/tasted the duck-fat popcorn and beers (Kyritzer Mord & Totschlag and a cider, the name of which I forget), savory crepes with goat cheese, turkey leberkase (served on a hot fingerling potato and pickle salad), green bean and brie salad, spaetzle (tossed with a deconstructed pesto and a smidge of sun-dried tomato), and finally pot du chocolate.

The menu is small and seasonal, so I'm not sure how many of these dishes you'll find when you visit.

But, every one of the dishes was truly exceptional. I don't give that commendation lightly. In fact, none of the dishes sounded that good to me when I ordered. But they all blew me away because of the perfect balance of flavors. Just as a quick example, the spaetzle sounded good except for the sun-dried tomatoes (which I generally avoid). But there were only a few small bits of the tomato, which makes sense since they are so concentrated and powerful. Also, the pickle in the hot potato salad was just the right amount... it did not take over the dish.

I cannot wait to go back. The server mentioned the menu would be new in a couple of weeks.

• Visited June 2014
Louisville, Kentucky
“Only the Beer and Appetizers Got The Rating This High”
Reviewed June 5, 2014

Some friends suggested we head over to Eiderdown for dinner on a weekday night. It's an interesting restaurant once you get inside, lots of wood and character. They were pretty busy so we took a seat at the bar and checked out the beer selection. There is a good mix of German, Belgian and American selections, good descriptions and availability. The selection of appetizers is varied, tasty and well prepared. After that, things started going downhill. Of the four different dinners ordered, none of them were in the best of shape upon arrival. Three of the were overcooked. The steak, was cooked as requested, but was filled with inedible portions and tough as well. At that point in time, we could have sent it back, but we waited long enough, So I can't tell you how receptive they would have bee to that request.
Great beer, good appetizers, I'd go back for those anytime. I won't be going back for dinner.

• Visited June 2014
Louisville, Kentucky
“Wow - expected good but received great!”
Reviewed May 13, 2014

My wife and I went to Eiderdown this past Saturday evening for a casual meal and I was blown away. She had been once before with some girlfriends a year or more before, but this was my first visit. Having at one time lived near here I was familiar with at least 3 other businesses in this same building. I thought it was one of those cursed locations where nothing can survive, but I believe Eiderdown has broken this curse.

First I was impressed by the beer menu including a real German Dunkel on tap. We choose the beer cheese with locally source bread pieces and it was great. I was starved so we also ordered the 3 pretzel sticks. These were mediocre, but the two mustards, hefweizen and IPA, were awesome. Both quite unique in flavor. For entrees my wife had the Gnadinger Pork sandwich and I went with the Sunday Sitdown. The Gnadinger pork sandwich look like a nice sized sandwich and the pork was juicy and succulent. My wife who is not a big fan of pork really liked it. Mine was a more a traditional Sunday dinner meal and it didn't disappoint. I'm a big fan of dark meat chicken and this dish offered some of the best I've had. There was a full leg with thigh still attached and an additional thigh. It was accompanied by probably the best grits I've ever tasted and some some excellent greens. The jus gravy, however, was the star of the dish. Wonderful and it really pulled everything together. I literally almost licked my plate clean.

The one thing I haven't mentioned is the service. It was top notch in every way. It was apparent the wait staff works by committee when it comes to water and/or drink refills and they do a marvelous job. We seldom went longer than 7 minutes without being checked in on, but never in an obtrusive or annoying way. I was really impressed by not only attentiveness, but the pleasantness of everyone there. At times in these settings hipsters have a tendency to be a bit smug, but these folks were eager to please.

Great experience and can't wait to go back and try something different!

• Visited May 2014