“Amazing to see”

Louisville Mega Cavern
Ranked #2 of 202 things to do in Louisville
More attraction details
Owner description: While visiting Louisville, Kentucky, you won't want to miss MEGA ZIPS; "The World's ONLY FULLY Underground Zip Lines & Adventure Tour" featuring 6 Ziplines and 2 challenge bridges up to 2 hours of adrenaline or MEGA QUEST the ONLY FULLY underground ropes challenge course in the world! Mega QUEST is one of only twenty courses of its kind in the USA. Aerial challenge and ropes courses are the hottest new extreme sport in Europe where thousands of courses are located. For those wanting a lesser thrill, be sure to check out the MEGA TRAM a Historic Tour: Ride and never walk through a part of 17 miles of underground passageways beneath the city of Louisville. Learn about the geology, history, mining techniques, recycling, and green business technology. See where 50,000 people would have been invited to stay during the Cold War Era. The historic tram tour operates mid-January through October. If you are visiting us during the holiday season, be sure to check out Lights Under Louisville: The World's Only FULLY Underground Holiday Light Show. Drive through 1.2 miles of underground passageways beneath the city of Louisville, Kentucky as you see and hear the sights and sounds of the holiday season. Offered seasonally mid-November through December. The cavern is transformed into an underground holiday light show with more than 750 lit characters.
Reviewed October 13, 2012

Getting to see the old Cuban Missile crisis bomb shelter in a Cavern under the Louisville Zoo while taking a jeep to drive you around acres of land: WOW!

Write a ReviewReviews (9,182)
All reviews
in 1,260 reviews
"mack"
in 460 reviews

Reviewed October 13, 2012

Ziplining in a cavern is an awesome experience! Not much to see while zipping [it's dark in a cavern]. Stepping off a little platform when you can't see how high you really are is an adrenalin rush! There are a couple of 'Indian Jones' type rope walkways to traverse [the ropes are steel cables] is the scariest part of the zipline experience. If you are afraid of heights remember that you are underground and everything is depths. Anyway, there are five lines with interesting names. Their equipment is the best I've ever seen. This is a must do no matter how far from Louisville live. Our guides [Greg and Mac] were informative, funny, and very safety concious.

Reviewed October 11, 2012

Our family was on fall break and wanted to do something new and exciting. My 13 year old daughter is the hardest to please and when she suggested zip lining I said ok. When I saw the high rating of Louisville Mega Caverns on Trip Advisor we decided to go there. We booked an early bird tour for 10:00 on Wed. This saved us $10 on each ticket. They suggest you getting there 30 minutes before your tour, but I suggest arriving even earlier. We had wonderful tour guides. Ashley and Patrick were fun, entertaining, and put safety first. We were a little nervous but they assured us we would be fine. There were four in our group, two others and a large group of seven. Our guides were patient and helpful the whole way. One member of our tour was 85 and he did great! My family had a blast. One of the few places that we have gone that we all had a fantastic time and kept talking about hours after the experience. Each zip line was different and unique. The dueling zips at the end was a fun way to end the experience. I highly recommend coming to this attraction. We will come again. We live about 5 hours away, but it was worth the drive. The only set back of the attraction is the flat head hair you get from wearing the helmet for 2 hours. It is a safety precaution, but next time I will bring a cap to wear when it is over. If you are a family with teens and are looking for something new and exciting try Louisville Mega Caverns zip line.

Reviewed October 11, 2012

We went to the Mega Cavern on Tuesday to try out their zip lines. Of the four of us- two had zip lined before, two had not. I was a bit concerned as to whether or not I would be able to do complete the course because I have a chronic illness but after reading the reviews, I was game to try. Our tour guides, Josh and Andrew, were terrific. Because we went during the day it was just our group and a couple of kids (a 10 yr old and his older brother) who had been on one of the historical tours and wanted to try the zip next. Josh and Andrew took their time with us, didn't rush us at all, and took time to explain everything so that each of us would be comfortable with each step of the process. Some of our more daring members of the group were raring to go with each of the zips while I had to take a moment to take a deep breath before I could step off into the dark and the little guy had to be coaxed up to take his turn each time. Our guides could not have been better about tailoring their approach to each of us. Additionally, they not only took time to show us the amazing history and geology inside of the cavern but what they are currently working on to expand the offerings. It was well worth the fees and I really appreciate that they not only had the zips but that my mom was able to take the historical tour while we did the zips rather than just sitting and waiting. It was a lot of fun for all of us and I have a feeling that I will be back again.