“One of the most Incredible Family things we have ever done!!!!”

Louisville Mega Cavern
Ranked #1 of 185 things to do in Louisville
More attraction details
Owner description: While visiting Louisville, Kentucky, you won't want to miss MEGA ZIPS; "The World's ONLY FULLY Underground Zip Lines & Adventure Tour" featuring 6 Ziplines and 2 challenge bridges up to 2 hours of adrenaline or MEGA QUEST the ONLY FULLY underground ropes challenge course in the world! Mega QUEST is one of only twenty courses of its kind in the USA. Aerial challenge and ropes courses are the hottest new extreme sport in Europe where thousands of courses are located. For those wanting a lesser thrill, be sure to check out the MEGA TRAM a Historic Tour: Ride and never walk through a part of 17 miles of underground passageways beneath the city of Louisville. Learn about the geology, history, mining techniques, recycling, and green business technology. See where 50,000 people would have been invited to stay during the Cold War Era. The historic tram tour operates mid-January through October. If you are visiting us during the holiday season, be sure to check out Lights Under Louisville: The World's Only FULLY Underground Holiday Light Show. Drive through 1.2 miles of underground passageways beneath the city of Louisville, Kentucky as you see and hear the sights and sounds of the holiday season. Offered seasonally mid-November through December. The cavern is transformed into an underground holiday light show with more than 750 lit characters.
Reviewed April 18, 2012

We went there during spring break last week and took the zip line tour on my daughters 9th Birthday. The guides really went out of their way to treat her like a QUEEN! Everyone on our group even stopped at the 4th line and sang happy birthday to her...
Beyond that, the scenery is just amazing! Especially knowing it was all done by hand! They have put alot of work into this over the last hundred years and from what they were saying, they are planning a whole lot more to come!
The absolute ONLY negative thing I could say is there are only 5 Zip Lines, and the "Bunny" Line is counted as one of those. So really, there are 4, and the "challenge bridges" aren't really a challenge, but still fun anyway! i would do it again, especially if I had a coupon! LOL!
Once they add all the additional things they were talking about, I would DEFINITELY rate it a 5!!! Or if I was only rating on the tour guides! They really made it a memorable experience for all of us! Thanks Guys!!!

Write a ReviewReviews (8,451)

Reviewed April 18, 2012

I'm sorry, but this was a boring display. I felt like it was set up to help someone make money, but I wasn't entertained. I went with a group of ekelmetary students and the response was half & half, with some saying the wish we had gone to zoo or something better.

4  Thank GAaron
Reviewed April 12, 2012

If you are visiting Louisville and love adventure, you will be living the Indiana Jones life on this zipline tour. I have zipped in a couple of outdoor locations, but nothing prepared me for this insane experience. You walk into a huge underground cavern that was originally a limestone quarry/mine. An array of safety harnesses and helmets await you. The excellent guides work with you to be sure you are safely attired before you climb the stairs to the bunny zip. Wow, that was easy!! Then you get down (and I do mean down) to the real zipline course. You're trammed back into the bowels of the earth where you begin a series of hundreds of feet long and multiple stories high ziplines across canyons of darkness made even more eerie by occasional atmospheric lighting. Just when your adrenaline cannot possibly soar any higher, you cross suspension bridges that had to be designed by some fearless set decorator from aforementioned adventure movies or a sadist. Please note that despite my heartpounding experience, I have never been on a safer adventure tour. Great care was taken to maintain dual safety lines for each participant at all times, and I knew in my head that I was always secure. The guides were funny and informative, but clearly, safety was paramount at all times. I highly recommend the zipline tour which is somewhat pricey, but worth every penny. Just think twice if you are petrified by heights or before you take small children. As frightened as I and my ten year old companion became, we were never offered any way out except finishing the course. In the long run we were both proud for hanging in there, but others might not feel that way. We now brag about our newfound courage and will both probably be up for another battle with our fears in the near future.
If you and your party don't all thirst for adventure, there is a much tamer historical tram ride and Segway tours to occupy them while you scare the daylights out of yourself and the others who go on the ziplines with you. At Christmastime there are lighted displays in the cavern, through you drive your own car. It's quite a happening place for an old tunnel in the ground! Dress warmly and when you get done, drive about a mile and visit the wonderful Louisville Zoo. You might as well, you've been travelling under it the entire time you've been on the ziplines.

1  Thank NancyLouisville
Reviewed April 12, 2012

You should go there. It is incredible how huge is the place.

MegaT12, Manager at Louisville Mega Cavern, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2012

Thanks for visiting the Louisville MEGA Cavern. We hope to see you back in the near future.

Reviewed April 10, 2012

Good value for the money, I'm a cheapskate but felt we got our moneys worth. Guides were thorough in their safety talk, informative about the cavern and funny when they could be. Go, zip, have fun, forget about the heights, you'll be safe.

Thanks for sharing your review of MEGA Zips. It's always great to hear about positive guest experiences.

Been to Louisville Mega Cavern? Share your experiences!