“This location is a favorite!”
Review of El Nopal

El Nopal
Ranked #516 of 1,806 Restaurants in Louisville
Neighborhood: East Louisville
Neighborhood: East Louisville
Reviewed May 29, 2012

Highly recommend this Mexican restaurant located off Shelbyville Rd at English Station. Every time we have been, the food has been very good, with generally ample portions. Waiters are focused on customers... efficient, friendly, and will check to see if you are enjoying your food throughout your meal. Nice atmosphere, family friendly, and they offer a lunch special every day, except Sunday. I have been there many times for lunch, and several times at evening. It's a great place to take visitors who love Mexican food, and you can enjoy the reasonable price. Just had company this weekend, and that's where we went. They loved it, too! (I have been to two other El Nopal locations around town, and could not recommend those locations, but the Shelbyville Rd location has been consistently good for us.) I usually try to enjoy their food as often as once a week.

Reviewed September 9, 2010

I knew going in that one other El Nopal had been known to confiscate patrons' cameras which were inadvertently left for several minutes, I knew that their pricing was tricky (special prices are almost never valid once you get to the restaurant), and I knew all Mexican restaurants are not alike. However, I had hopes of finding a Mexican restaurant in Louisville that my wife and I could go to weekly and enjoy. NOT HERE! We found the food to be dried out (possibly made a day or so before) as others had noted on other reviews, only to be futher ruined by the awful taste of the sauces that are meant to be the main tasting event. We had eaten at various Mexican restaurants around the country before moving to Louisville. We usually chose the combination plates. They are inclusive priced, a whole meal for about $7.50. Combination pricing always gives one a choice of chicken or beef for the price listed. El Nopal charges $.50 extra per each part of the meal if you choose chicken or shredded beef, thus making the $7.50 entree more like $8.50 or $9.00 for the listed meal. They also charge extra for soft tocos which adds even more to the price. This restaurant is in the St. Mattthews mall and gets customer flow which is not necessarily repeat business. Therefore, they don't care. Maximize the profits without giving quality taste. I won't be back!