“Taste of the City Tour”

City Taste Tours
Ranked #2 of 32 Tours in Louisville
Type: City Tours, Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: City Taste Tours combines Highlights and Sights with Bourbon and Bites! Our top rated city tour and other fun Louisville tours all include a unique twist and are perfect for fun loving locals & tourists who want to make the most of their trip to Louisville. The "Everything You Should See, Know & Taste While You're in Louisville" tour is offered both morning and afternoon and is a fun combination of sightseeing, tasting, history and stories of Louisville and numerous stops into different neighborhoods, well known landmarks and quaint local Mom & Pops. It will provide you with a great overview of the city including little tastes of foods and drinks unique to Louisville; Benedictine, Derby Pie, a fun twist on the Hot Brown, Mint Julep, Honey Bourbon and even more tasty surprises. We strive hard to give our guests a real overall "taste" of the city and a very fun time!
Galveston Island, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Taste of the City Tour”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2012

Wonderful tour for showing the highpoints of the city and Leslie was great about pointing out fun restaurants and shops while also giving the history of the city. As others have said, U-shaped benches along the back and sides take a little getting used to. There were about 8 on our Sat morning tour so we had the space to change position so it wasn't too bad. The bus decorations are cute. We did have a taste of things but that's what I expected, not a meal. We tasted mint julips, bourbon creme liquour, sweet wine, bourbon flavored cheese and cherries, the hot brown, fried green tomatoes, and a yeast roll. Wish we had had more time in the area of Victorian houses but we decided to go back later on our own for a walk. Great introduction to the city. Thanks, Leslie.

Visited May 2012
2 Thank galv0612
citytastetours, Owner at City Taste Tours, responded to this review, May 22, 2012
You are welcome! I think I enjoy the tours as much as the guests! Yes, I love Old Louisville as well... and all those incredible Victorian Mansions. I will try to incorporate more time in that area. Thanks for the input! :) Leslie

Minnesota
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“Leslie is a great tour guide.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2012

This was a great overview of the City of Louisville. I would suggest that you take the tour at the start of your stay so you can visit the places/restaurants that Leslie points out. This was our third trip to Louisville and I saw places that I didn't know about before. I would suggest a light meal before the tour. As some of the other reviews mention the seating is in a U shape so if you have back problems, sit in the back so you have a back rest and don't have to twist to see out of both sides of the bus. I thought there was more than enough to sample but could be because we were a small group so we had bigger portions. Leslie did emphasize when I called that this was a tour of the city with tasting not a taste tour of the city. One thing that could be improved is if Leslie had an assistant to book the tours and get back to people like me who like to definitely know if we are scheduled for the tour and not have to call back to confirm. Overall, a great tour and very informative.

Visited May 2012
Hello! Thanks for your review! I'm so glad you had a great time on the bus. I appreciate the heads up on wanting a confirmation process. Even though I am not a big enough company... or have a big enough budget... to allow for an assistant yet, I could definitely take the time to call and confirm folks the night before. Thanks for the insight. Hope to see you on the bus another time! Leslie
Cincinnati, Ohio
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Amazing tour”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2012 via mobile

Leslie was amazing. The bus was roomy and decorated perfectly. She did a great job. Was definately trying to give us the best tour and she did!

1 Thank taylorab3
Channel Islands National Park, California
170 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 270 helpful votes
“Good for City Sight Seeing, Light on the Tasting”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2012

My wife and I recently took the City Taste Tour in Louisville. The tour is run by Leslie who uses a van that seats about 12 people. We had 11 on our tour. You are in the bus for about 3.5 hours. The seating is arranged in a U shape, as seen on one of the pictures on her website. Since there are no regular seats, you may want to sit in the back so that you have some back support. Plus you can look forward, left and right. I was on the right side and I found myself with one leg up facing forward like most of us on the sides of the bus. By the end, by back was sore from the uncomfortable position.

Now for the review:
The Pros:
If you want to take a tour of Louisville, and see most of the sites you would normally want to see, then this is a good tour. Leslie took us to Churchill Downs, over the bridge to Jeffersonville, IN, in front of the Louisville slugger museum, the cemetery (which was very interesting), and we drove through many sections of Louisville. All the while, Leslie was talking about the city history, areas, etc.

The Cons:
When my wife and I see a tour that says "taste tour", then we think food tour. As such, we typically eat very little (a breakfast bar for me) before the tour. Unfortunately for this taste tour, tasting was just that - a very small taste. In this case we ate food that was split amongst the 11 people on the bus, which after 11 ways, it was a tiny morsel. At first we had a half of a doughnut and 1/2 ounce of wine within the first hour of the tour. After that, we didn't eat anything reasonable for another hour and half. I was not a happy camper by that point. I kept asking my wife "when are we going to eat something" in my low blood sugar sort of way. We did stop in Jeffersonville at Buck Heads where Leslie ordered 2 Hot Browns. She cut those up 11 ways which by then I could have eaten a whole one myself. Luckily she had to wait for the food and we had time for me to order and drink a beer to hold me over until my sliver of food came. We also had a sliver of derby pie. I ate the sliver in one bite and wished I had more... After the tour, I looked at the website. On the about us page, it does in fact say that you will either get "either a little or a lot of tastes" in Louisville. Unfortunately we got the "little" on this one.

One thing to note: We did take the tour on Sunday so maybe all the normal places to eat are closed?? We did drive by many open restaurants that Leslie pointed out where really good places to eat.

All in all, take this tour to see the areas of Louisville with a seemingly knowledgeable tour guide - just eat first.

Visited April 2012
4 Thank John R
Hello Big John. Thanks for the feedback on the tour. I'm so glad that you liked the city tour part of the tour. I am sorry that you felt the tastes were too small. You are correct though, the tour that you were on, "Everything You Should See Know and Taste While You're in Louisville Tour" is actually a city tour and not a taste tour. My taste tours are called "Foodie Tours" and are held in the evening. I am sorry for the mis-communication and I will check out my discription of the tour and make sure it states that clearly. If you are ever in Louisville again, I would love for you to join City Taste Tours for one of our Foodie Tours. On those tours we actually go into restaurants, sit down at a table and eat, eat, eat. I have no doubt on that tour your appetite would be satisfied. Thanks again for the feedback. Leslie
Ventura, California
115 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 190 helpful votes
“Sundays - Not a food tour”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2012

If you're looking to see some of the city sites then this tour may be what you need. It's a great city tour. However, this definitely is NOT a food tour. I've been on several food tours through out the US who also incorporate history and lots of food stops. To me, this was not worth fifty five dollars. When Leslie says it's a "taste tour" she literally means it. You get to taste wine, mint julep and beer in a tiny taster's cup. The type of cup you get at a Tequila taste room or Bourbon room. We had to put our names on the cups because they were to be used over and over. You get one cracker with spread on it. The picture on the website of people holding large cups is deceiving. We drove all the way to GermanTown for a bacon-maple doughnut. We had to rush there because the bakery closed at 2pm and we only had 15 minutes left. Really!!! a doughnut. And half a doughnut at that. The last taste was a Hot Brown at Buckheads in Indiana right across the river. Everything that was ordered at Buckheads was split by 11 people. We had to eat everything on the bus.
This was the most disappointing taste tour I've ever been on. Leslie has a lot to learn about food tours. This was the first time we went on a food tour where we actually had to go eat afterwards because we were so hungry.
I would only recommend this tour if you want to sight see. And I wouldnt pay $55 for it.

Visited April 2012
3 Thank m2347m
Hello! I am always happy for feedback on my tours. I love what I do and want to make it the best experience possible for my guests. The reviewer was correct. The tour he was on, "Everything You Should See, Know and Taste While You're in Louisville Tour" is not a Food Tour. It is actually a City Tour with little samples of the things that Louisville is known for thrown in for fun. The concept of City Taste Tours is "A Taste of Sightseeing, A Taste of History and a Taste of the Foods and Drinks Of the City". The Food Tours are referred to as "Foodie Tours" and are offered in the evenings. I so wish he and his traveling companion had said something during the tour... I would have gladly purchased more tastes to make them full and happy. I am very much a Southern woman at heart... and Southern women hate to think of anyone being hungry. Thanks again... and hope to see you on one of my tours soon! Leslie