“Jane Austen Festival weekend”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Louisville
Bashford Manor Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #10 of 20 Louisville B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 22, 2012

My mother, sister and I stayed at Bashford Manor for the Jane Austen festival. We stayed in the carriage house. Although only meant for 2 persons, Cynthia was very accomodating and added a bed so we could stay together. The room was clean and was plenty roomy for us. The breakfast Sunday morning was good and we topped it off by requesting to eat outside. Everyone else ate inside but Cynthia checked on us and gave us a little history. We loved the festival and staying at Bashford Manor was the icing on the cake.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank mrw42164

Reviewed June 7, 2012

Thank you for helping to make our anniversary such a wonderful and memorable experience. The room was clean, beautiful and well furnished. Breakfast was elegantly prepared and delicious. The outer grounds were just as nice and made for a peaceful walk after breakfast. We look forward to staying again in the future.

Room Tip: The Jane Austen room was very spacious and has a romantic tub. Great location.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 24, 2012

My spouse and I stayed here for two nights on what was a business trip for him. The house is pretty, and I commend the owner Cynthia for her efforts in turning a historical, dilapidated house into a pretty home with some modern comforts.

We were quite impressed by the exterior of the house as we drove up. However, the rest of our stay left much to be desired. We felt like we were unwelcome intruders, rather than paying guests.

When we arrived after a long trip, Cynthia gave us the keys to our room and told us to come down with our credit card after putting away our things. I thought this an odd request...never once have I been asked to pay for my stay at a hotel or b&b when I've barely entered. Regardless, I came down with my card a few minutes later, and Cynthia was in the middle of a discussion with someone on the porch. I apologized for interrupting and told her that I had my credit card for her to swipe. She told me to wait a few minutes or else I could just leave my credit card with her. I didn't feel comfortable doing the latter, so I sat on the front porch so that I could give her some privacy. After waiting for 30 minutes outside in the hot sun without any word from Cynthia, I finally went up to my room. I found her behavior to be extremely rude. When we later came down to go to dinner, she of course asked again for our credit card and collected her payment.

The following morning, we came down to breakfast, which was nothing more than a meager continental breakfast that left us feeling unsatisfied. She provided yogurt with some accompanying jam, cherries, and almonds. There was also an egg dish (in spite of me telling her at the time of reservation that I am vegetarian and don't eat eggs) and some cold, dry toast. That was it. It was terrible. Just after the breakfast, Cynthia said to me, "Can you please give me your credit card to swipe?" I pointed out that she charged me upon my arrival, and she said, "Oh really? Sometimes I forget these things." Really? Then, maybe Cynthia should keep a record instead of repeatedly asking her guests to pay for their stay from the moment of our arrival. Cynthia then asked us if there was anything specific we needed from a housekeeping standpoint. I understood this to mean that she wanted to know if we needed extra shampoo, lotion, etc., and I said that we did not. Her face lit up, and she then said, "great!" When we came back to our room that evening, we came back to an unmade bed, no fresh towels, and no housekeeping at all. This is the first time that I've ever stayed in a b&b that does not provide basic housekeeping services.

The following morning (which was thankfully our last), we sat down for breakfast, which was even worse than that of the day before. We had the vanilla yogurt, almonds, and jam (again) and the "entree" was dry, lumpy oatmeal. There was no brown sugar, maple syrup or anything else served with it. Belatedly, she offered us some cinnamon. Cold, lumpy, plain oatmeal with cinnamon? Disgusting. Cynthia topped off our stay by asking us as we were trying to force ourselves to eat her tasteless breakfast, "When are you leaving?" Really? This is how she talks to "guests"? Check-out time is advertised as 11 a.m., so we were obviously going to leave before that. We told her we going to pack up our things and would be out between 10 and 10:30, and we were out by 10 a.m. because we felt like she was waiting to chase us out.

My spouse has several more upcoming business trips to Louisville, but he'll never stay at Bashford Manor again. There are plenty of other B&Bs and hotels in the area with much better reviews, and I imagine they treat their guests with kindness and hospitality.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
6  Thank fourlinedpinky
Cynthia C, Owner at Bashford Manor Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2013

First, I am hopeful the reviewer is in a happier place, so to speak!
What an unfortunate perspective.

Reviewed April 19, 2012

My Wife and I returned for our springtime getaway. A night of comfort at this beautifully landscaped and managed by Inngineer Cynthia Cooke. A quite evening in the carriage house followed by a specially prepared breakfast. Derby time is nearly upon us. A most suitable destination.

Room Tip: The carriage house offers maximum privacy.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ray W
Reviewed February 19, 2012

This is a beautiful, historical, plantation type home. I stayed in the west suite which was warm, and comfortable, with its canopy bed and claw foot tub. The breakfast was delicious and fresh. Cynthia the owner was very friendly, accomadating, and knowledgeable regarding the history of the mansion. It is centrally located with great parking, access to plenty of entertainment and great restaurants. I would recommend this bed and breakfast to everyone in lieu of hotel accomadations. It's wonderful!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed February 15, 2012

Bashford Manor was our home away from home while waiting for our first
grandchild to be born. It was so relaxing and peaceful. We stayed in the
Coach House just next to the main house. It was ideal for us. Cynthia makes
the best yogurt for breakfast I have ever eaten. I am eagerly waiting to go
back in the spring to see the redbuds in bloom along with all the other spring
blossoms. It's wonderful to walk around the grounds or just sit on the spacious
porches with a cup of coffee or tea.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed February 4, 2012

Very quaint and clean. The history of the mansion displayed is very interesting. Adorable decor, the owner is extremely helpful and friendly. This was my first bed and breakfast experience and it was hard to top. We will visit Bashford again.

• Stayed: February 2012