“Seasonal Menu, Great Flavors”

Marketplace Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Marketplace Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #85 of 1,858 Restaurants in Louisville
Cuisines: American, Italian, Wine Bar
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Broadway
Transit: 4th & Broadway
Description: We are a full service upscale casual restaurant in the heart of downtown located next to the Brown Hotel. We offer a wide selection of bourbon, beer, and wines. Our food is modern American with a touch of French and Mediterranean. We have one of the loveliest patios in downtown Lou full of comfortable outdoor seating and full service bar as well as live entertainment most Friday and Saturday eventings.
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Had dinner here before the Leonard Cohen concert March 30, 2013. The menu had a heavy emphasis on Lamb and Salmon that evening. Our waiter said the menu had just changed. All meat and produce is locally sourced. The fish is fresh. I had scallops in a sweet glaze. My husband had the salmon. Both were excellent. We had a goat cheese and crostini appetizer that was excellent. We also had salads: spinach and caesar; both were very tasty.

The restaurant has a very interesting decor of dark wood and silver with a modern flair. Overall, we enjoyed it very much. I would have preferred more seafood offerings, hence the 4 star as opposed to 5 star review. Salmon and shell fish were the only choices.

Reviewed March 29, 2013

Grest food and atmosphere. Can't say enough nice things. Had a great evening. My meal was worth every penny.

Kelly W, General Manager at Marketplace Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2013

Thank you for your support. We appreciate that you took the time to let others know about your experience.

Reviewed March 21, 2013

After dining elsewhere, I went to the Marketplace for dessert and a cappuccino. I had never been to this restaurant and it was very impressive. An amazing dessert selection and espresso bar made this a great move.

While I was there I checked out the menu and the entrees looked as good as the desserts. Next time I am in Louisville, I am definitely planning to dine at the Marketplace.

Great service too!!

Reviewed March 10, 2013

Recently, I was lucky enough to be invited to dinner at the Marketplace Restaurant. The location of the restaurant is in the old historic Kentucky Theater located between the Brown Hotel and The Palace on 4th Street. I had been there before, but only for appetizers before orchestra concerts at the Brown Theater. The appetizers are superb, so I was looking forward to my dinner experience. I was not disappointed.
My dinner companion and I enjoyed drinks, a shared cheese board appetizer, entrees plus dessert & coffee for about $160. I had the 48 hour Short Ribs which fairly melted in my mouth. The ribs were served over a bed of delicious roasted root vegetables. The dish was bursting with flavor. My companion enjoyed the Pork Steak served over sweet potato puree & kale and had nothing but good comments on it. Kudos to Chef Dallas McGarity!

For me, our server suggested a wonderful Italian red wine called Layer Cake. It turned out to be a wonderful wine and one I will request again. He was also attentive, without being intrusive, and had a most pleasant demeanor about himself.

My only criticism of the dining experience is that it was noisy. We were seated up front in the bar area. Between the groups of 30-somethings gathering around the bar and the live music it was difficult to carry on a comfortable conversation with my dinner companion. We were there at 6PM on a Friday evening. When I dine there again, I will request to be seated in another area, if possible to see if the noise level can be improved upon. All in all, it was a wonderful dining experience and one I will likely repeat, but probably only for special occasions since it is a little pricey and the location is off my "beaten path". But I definitely plan to keep doing the appetizers before/after concerts. Now, thanks to our attentive server, I have the name of the perfect wine to go with their delicious appetizers!

Kelly W, General Manager at Marketplace Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2013

Thank you for your kind words. The crowd last Friday was a little more than we usually experience that early on a Friday night. When you make your next reservation, ask the host if there will be a show crowd and request a quieter table. We take pride in offering a Jazz trio that plays at a volume that won't interfere with your conversation but I think the crowd was unique that night. I look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed February 28, 2013

We eat at Marketplace every time we are in Louisville. There are several unique seating areas in the restaurant. Tonight we were seated by the fireplace, a great spot for a cold evening. It was not crowded there for dinner around 7:00 PM on a Thursday, so it was very nice and relaxing. Our waitress was attentive and pleasant.

I had the Chopped Baby Spinach Salad with roasted shiitake, crispy bacon, caramelized onion, and honey balsamic vinaigrette. Delicious! My entree was Sea Scallops, served with sweet potato purée, kale & onions, lemon hoisin sauce. What a superb combination of flavors! The Turtle Cheesecake was a perfect ending.

My husband had the Artichoke, Feta and Kalamata Olive Salad with Lemon Garlic Vinaigrette and Frank's Fried Chicken with roasted root vegetables, potatoes, pickled red cabbage and honey chipotle sauce, both of which he enjoyed. And for dessert the Derby Pie, which was excellent!

All in all a lovely dining experience.

Kelly W, General Manager at Marketplace Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded March 2, 2013

Thank you for thinking of Marketplace. We look forward to your next visit.