“Haunted...perhaps”

Waverly Hills Sanatorium
Ranked #22 of 176 things to do in Louisville
More attraction details
Owner description: The Waverly Hills Sanatorium is on the U.S. National Register of Historical Places. The massive five story hospital was built in 1926 and sits atop Waverly Hill today. It housed 400 patients and was one of the largest facilities of its kind. Waverly served the community through decades of the worse TB outbreak in the country. After closing in 1961, due to the introduction of life saving antibiotics, the hospital reopened in 1962 as "Woodhaven Geriatric Center" which operated the facility until 1982 when it was closed by the state. Ravaged by years of neglect, the present owners have breathed new life into the building by conducting tours though the facility in effort to restore it to a useful asset for the community once again. Waverly has earned her place as one of the most haunted places in the country and has been host to many films and TV shows. During tour season (March – August) Waverly offers several options of visiting. *2hr. Introductory Paranormal Tour which includes a 20 film then a walk through the building.*2hr. Historical walk through tour held one Sunday each month*Public or Private overnight sessions for ghost hunting enthusiasts. For all tour or overnight reservations or inquiries contact the office open daily 9am to 5pm Monday - Friday.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Dover
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Haunted...perhaps”
Reviewed May 17, 2013

My daughter wanted to visit this site when we were in Louisville, Ky for their annual marathon/half marathon the week before the Derby. We had no problem finding the site. We did a 2 hr tour that started at 8pm. They have a later tour at 10, but I didn't want to be out driving that late in an area that I wasn't that familiar with. We had a great tour guide that gave us plenty of background about the hospital and those that lived and died there and those that still might be there as ghosts. I actually saw some movement in a hallway which I thought might be a cat, but found out that there were no animals in the building. Please be aware that there is a lot of walking up and down stairs so you need to keep that in mind when booking a tour. Im sure people have seen other things, but we weren't that lucky that night. Overall we enjoyed the tour..its an interesting look into how TB patients were treated and housed in the early years before medicine to treat the disease was discovered.

Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“WASTE OF TIME”
Reviewed April 30, 2013

A group of us flew in from Las Vegas, Nevada to investigate the scariest place in the United States. Totally false. Upon arriving we were told "it was very active tonight." Again false. We paid for the over night investigation $100.00. We didn't even stay to finish the full 8 hours given. By the time we were "allowed" to go to the 4th floor where they say the most activity happens the sun had begun to arise, therefore restraining us from seeing any shadows, hearing any voices or sounds. We debunked the whole entire facility. I tried to leave feedback on their Facebook page only for them to tell me we should have done the private investigation. I don't think it would have mattered what investigation we did because nothing exists there. They then deleted my posts because godforbid they have any negative feedback.The guide taking us from floor to floor attempted this parlor trick he called "communicating with mag lights", Pretty weak. If you'd like to read about just how manufactured that "trick: is, google mag light trick. PLEASE DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME AND MONEY!

13 Thank Jackie M
Ostrander, Ohio, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Don't waste your time unless you like being treated like children”
Reviewed April 29, 2013

A group of us decided to take the two hour paranormal tour (8p to 10p supposedly). First off, it was hard to find. We finally found the entrance (unmarked through golf course) and followed a staff member up the drive. He entered before us, looked at us, closed the gate and drove on. Sign says "keep gate closed at all times" and that was it, so we did what he did. We got to the parking lot and immediately got yelled at, and I do mean yelled, because we weren't supposed to be there. I explained we were on the tour and weren't sure what to do. The man was VERY irate and rude. I apologized and said that I would be happy to follow the rules if we knew what they were. He told me that I should read the website and told me to get out. Ok. Fine. We drove back down and parked outside of the gate. As we waited, several other cars arrived and they had no idea to do either. Maybe the person taking the reservations should give some information? Anyway, it didn't much improve when we finally did get allowed in. We parked and were told that if we wanted to take pics of the exterior to do it now. One lady walked down the parking lot to take a pic of the full building and the staff FREAKED OUT. They started yelling at her like she was walking through a field of land mines and rudely informed her that she couldn't walk that far away. We got checked in at the driveway, then were told to check in at the office. We were put into a large room that looks like they have meetings or receptions in. Some lady tried to go look at a picture and again, the staff freaked out and yelled at her. At this point, I was over it. They were rude to everyone the whole time. As for the tour itself, the guide kept stumbling over the history. Several people asked questions that were never answered. Total waste of time and money. If you're in to ghost hunting, go to Mansfield Reformatory or Moundsville Prison. WAY better and you don't get treated like a mentally challenged toddler.

14 Thank Melanie H
Madison, Tennessee
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Wonderful Experience”
Reviewed April 27, 2013

We did the four hour tour on a Friday night. Midnight to 4:00 A.M. We were not disappointed and had lot's of experiences. Our tour guide was the greatest and very helpful. I have done numerous Ghost Tours, but this was the best!
Thank you Waverly Staff for a great time!

2 Thank 62judy
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Not worth the drive or gas if your traveling from a far state.”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

We did the 8 hour ghost hunt on Saturday April 13, 2013. We drove all the way from Harford County Maryland in hopes of seeing and/experiencing some interesting and scary things but after last night's 8 hour public ghost hunt that was not the case. We didn't see or experience much at all. Our tour guide didn't help us with our issues. He never told us the history of the place or where any of the hot spot claims where. We asked him if he could help us throughout the night with doing our ghost box and evp sessions, he only did two sessions with us.He didn't check up on us here and there like he said he would. We felt like were rushed when we were trying to buy stuff from the gift shop, that was rude! We will probably not go back again. We had more fun at TRANS ALLEGHENY LUNATIC ASYLUM in Weston, w.v., and Black Moon Manor in Greenfield, Indiana (which unfortunately was demolished by the original owner) then Waverly Hills. Overall on this review I WOULD NOT recommend going to Wavery Hills Sanitorium for the 8 hr or any other overnight ghost hunts. WASTE OF MY 10 HOUR DRIVE AND ITS A WASTE OF MY DAMN GAS!!! ( thumbs down). Dislike

7 Thank scarytimes