“Churchill Downs”
Review of Churchill Downs

Churchill Downs
Ranked #3 of 187 things to do in Louisville
More attraction details
Owner description: This beautiful racetrack has been the home of the Kentucky Derby since 1875.
Reviewed February 23, 2011

Took the Behind The Scenes Tour and it was fantastic. In order to purchase any of the special tours, you have to pay for the museum entrance too. Our tour guide for the Behind The Scenes was very knowledgable. We got to see the locker rooms, lounges, high-roller areas, and more. Highly recommend. Churchill is not as updated and as fancy looking as many would think.

1  Thank jedivader
Write a ReviewReviews (2,756)

Reviewed January 31, 2011

Let me explain. I didn't do the tour or the museum so I have no idea how good they are. I can't afford millionaires row (about a million dollars shy, to quote John Candy) so I can't comment on the top end facilities. I did travel from the UK to attend both days of the Breeders Cup meeting 2010 and had a fantastic time watching some superb top class racing. I did pretty well on the first day and OK on the second with the gambling so I'm not 'talking through my pocket' I just expected something a bit better from America's most famous track.
What we got for our reserved bleacher seats on the second level halfway down the home straight was very old fashioned and limited compared to the same priced seats/location on the best European tracks.
Good things to say about Churchill Downs,
1. No problem placing a bet, literally hundereds of betting windows with, on the whole, very friendly and helpful staff.
2. No problem getting a drink, if you want beer or the house cocktail, from the wandering vendors, some of who were very amusing in their sales pitches.
3. Seats are close to the track so you are up close and personal with the equine stars.
4. Nice gift shops, but pricey.
5. If you are driving make sure you get a car parking pass ($50 for 2 days) and you can park nice and close to the stands.
Not such good things to say,
1. REALLY poor parade ring, Once the crowd is 3 deep at the rail you won't see the horses (Compare to Ascot or Longchamp for how it should be done)
2. Stands are old, poorly lit and very basic inside.
3. Food outlets VERY limited inside the stand, we had to walk half the length of the stand just to find a hamburger, food around our seating area seemed to be limited to Pretzels.
4. Bleacher seats could not be less comfortable.
I know this place is truely Iconic and I'm truely glad I was there, I was just expecting something a bit classier from America's best known racing venue. When I go to the Breeders Cup again I'll wait until it's run at a different track to Churchill Downs.

1  Thank RacingAl
Reviewed January 24, 2011

Incredible museum with great show on the history of the Kentucky Derby & accompanying race. Also get to tour Churchill Downs & interact with horses. Great for kids! Open all year long, but best time to go is first week in May to observe the greatest 2 minutes in sports (Kentucky Derby). If you don't have much knowledge of horse racing or the venue, watch Seabiscut with the family before you go!

Reviewed December 9, 2010

Very calm environment for the horses compared to the commotion of the fans, racing and training. Friendly people as far as the eye can see with smiles posted around every corner. I even got to walk on the track, which not everyone gets to do. Though they did make me go barefoot. Something about certain things on the track that spook the horses. Really had fun @ the concert in the infield.

Reviewed October 30, 2010

Kids 13, 11, and 11, were tired of touring around and not looking forward to our stop at Churchill Downs, but they loved it. Great museum because it is interactive with a horse racing game and simulating betting. They could run around and try different things.

Also did the 30 minute walking tour which was worth the money.

The most surprising thing was that we had no idea that Churchill Downs was so close to downtown.

1  Thank MilwFamily

Been to Churchill Downs? Share your experiences!