“Nice restaurant on Frankfort Ave.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Basa Restaurant

Basa Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Basa Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #258 of 1,748 Restaurants in Louisville
Cuisines: Asian, Vietnamese
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Clifton
Cross street: Clifton Ave / Jane St
Louisville, KY
“Nice restaurant on Frankfort Ave.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2013

This small restaurant was a nice place to have Saturday evening dinner. The menu is Vietnamese inspired and upscale.
The restaurant is nicely decorated in hues of black and red with a concrete floor. Unfortunately, there is nothing in the restaurant to absorb sound so it was extremely noisy and difficult to talk it dinner companions.
The drink menu was varied with specialty drinks, wines and beer.
The menu was on the small side but well thought out. There were about 8 appetizers, 4 salads a soup and about 8 entree choices. Portions were not on the large side, but we're substantial enough.
The calamari appetizer was delicious. There tentacles and rings were soft and not chewy. It was served with two dipping sauces. The Caesar salad was a bit different than usual but was very good. The tofu entree was tasty but was more salad like than was expected. The beef dish was delicious,the filet meat was very tender and spiced well.
A mixed drink, a glass of wine, a shared appetizer, 2 salads , 2 of the lesser costly entrees and a shared pot of pressed coffee was $112 with tax and tip. Pretty average for an upscale restaurant in Louisville.

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Leucadia, CA
“One of the Best of Louisville”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

I was amazed there wasn't a line out the door. Six of us dined at Basa tonight-- and we sampled the menu. Everyone was extremely happy-- from our 86 year-old grandpa to the 12 year-old granddaughter. All super fresh-- sizable and tender NY Strip, traditional Vietnamese fish in curry with broth, filet mignon, catfish tacos, appetizers, and amazing "Ginger Cake"... Am I really in Louisville? This restaurant is toe to toe with any restaurant in the world who would care to engage local cuisine (KY) with traditional ethnic flavors (Vietnamese). And, the attention to detail at every turn: table settings in perfect order, warm greeting at the door, a generous and internationally informed (with KY prominent) drink selection. The service: attentive, caring, unpretentious and informed. This restaurant in San Francisco would cost three times as much, and you'd have to reserve a week in advance. We'll be back with friends asap.

• Visited September 2013
United States
“Absolutely one of the best restaurants in Louisville or Anywhere!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013

Wow. Wow. Wow.

I live in Louisville and am a 25-year every week business traveler. I eat out a lot. This restaurant is outstanding and I highly recommend it to anyone and everyone!

I had read tons of great reviews on this restaurant - they are all accurate to what I experienced.

The mussel appetizer is a meal in itself. I had the coconut curry version - I should have had that and a salad/dessert and been done. But I "suffered" through gorging myself with an excellent scallop meal special. For dessert I loved the special of cobbler, but my husband's crème de pot was just outstanding and I am still craving it a month later.

We had four in our party - everything ordered was raved about. I cannot remember everyone's meal but again mussels (another version), Caesar salad with fresh anchovies on it, blue cheese ice cream (oh yes, oh yes).

Service was absolutely outstanding and knowledgeable about everything.

I will go back and back and back! Enjoy!

• Visited July 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona
“Could Have Been Better”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013

Went to supper at a very crowded Basa last Saturday night. There were 3 of us. It was business dinner, with social elements, with a new colleague from South Africa. The food was imaginative and quite tasty -- 'americanized vietnamese' as another reviewer has said. The wine list served our basic needs well. There were some significant downsides to the experience. The interior of Basa does not absorb sound. Therefore, the dining room in which we were seated was very loud, to an truly uncomfortable level at times. This was increased by periodic loud noises (cocktail shakers being ostentatiously used) at the full-service bar at the back. Generally, the prices were high. For three, with two appetizers, a bottle of chilled white wine, three entrees, and coffees, the bill (with tip) totaled $170.00. I ate an evening special, scallops -- the main part of the concoction was very good, but I thought it it was quite overpriced. The young wait staff was energetic, fairly well-trained (with only a few mistakes), and tried to give us all what we desired. All in all, to Basa, nice try . . . but please address these rather important down-side issues so that you will see us again.

• Visited July 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
“Unique dishes and outstanding staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

Great variety of unique foods with a few dishes for the less adventurous diner. As is common for many Louisville restaurants the spices tend to be underutilized. One suggestion is to ask for an increase in spice level. You can also ask for additional spicey sauces on the side. Furnishings are understated - OK to go casual. They have parking in the back, tricky to find but it is there. And the drinks are quite unique.

• Visited June 2013