“Perfect Salmon Teriyaki”

hiko-A-mon Modern Japanese Sushi Bar & Fish Market
Reserve with OpenTable
hiko-A-mon Modern Japanese Sushi Bar & Fish Market is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #196 of 1,829 Restaurants in Louisville
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: East Louisville
Cross street: Westport Road
Transit: The Westport Village is off the newly expanded Westport Road between Herr Lane and Lyndon Lane, just east of I-264, 3 miles south of I-71, five miles west of 265 and 2 miles north of I-64. hiko-A-mon is located at the south part of the village (next to Gattiland).
Reviewed August 24, 2013

I stopped by at lunch time today and saw that there is a special luncheon menu that is very nice. I decided to deviate from my usual sushi. This was my first time having the Teriyaki salmon, and it was absolutely delicious! This luncheon item also came with the hot, flavorful miso soup and mixed salad with ginger dressing. After those two nice beginners, I was almost full. Then the generous portion of grilled salmon arrived. It was absolutely the best teriyaki dish I have ever had anywhere! There was enough for me to eat half the salmon and take the rest home for dinner. The vegetables that came with the dish were also excellently prepared. Again, I could only eat half. The entree also was served with a nice hot covered bowl on rice. Just an all around perfect lunch! This restaurant is also in the Louisville Originals program, so remember to get that loyalty card if you don't yet have one.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

My family and I went to Hiko-a-mon on a Saturday night. We were a party of 9 and forgot to make reservations. Fortunately we were there early enough in the evening that they were able to work us in. They have good happy hour specials on drinks and selected appetizers. One of the items I had was the green tea soba noodle salad that is topped with crab. This is filling enough to make a meal and is very delicious. Pair it with a bowl of soup and it is a satisfying meal, or share it with a friend and add a sushi roll or tempura. I have like everything on the menu. On this visit I also tried a roll that has fried oysters in the middle and it was outstanding! It is great fun to go here with a group and have everyone order different rolls and share around the table.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

My husband and I have a toddler, so our date nights have mostly been getting take-out and watching a movie at home. Sushi has become our go-to meal lately since its healthier than the pizza we would gorge on. Hiko-a-mon is 5 minutes from our house in Westport Village. I've eaten in the restaurant maybe twice and found it good, but prefer bringing it home and saving the money I'd spend on drinks, salads, tips, etc. The sushi is always fresh and tasty. The presentation is good for take-out and they never forget the important wasabi and chopsticks. Service is good and our 3-4rolls never take more than 20 minutes- perfect timing!

1  Thank Punkin2605
Reviewed June 29, 2013

There are many Japanese restaurants in Louisville area with various quality of decor and food. Hiko-a-mon has a mixture of dining areas including two private dining areas for larger groups, a large sushi bar area, booths and tables. If you want to be seated in more secluded area request a booth. This is a casual place. Saki selection is very good with broad price range. Also very good selection of wine. Regarding the food the menu is best described as eclectic. Appetizers are mix of traditional and unique signature dishes, both hot and cold. The main courses are equally diverse, hot and cold. For sushi and sashimi highly recommend asking what is fresh and limit your choices. The fish ranges in quality. The rolls are nice but mostly fried ingredients with over abundance of sauce. Tell your waitress you are not afraid of adding unique spices to your rolls and ask for minimal sauce.

1  Thank RegenMan
Reviewed June 7, 2013

Hiko-a-mon is the best sushi we have found in Louisville. The décor is dark wood and traditional Japanese artwork on the walls. Service is fantastic. The staff are knowledgeable and friendly. I have been offered advice on daily fish selections as well as the sake menu. When my family thinks of sushi this is the place to go.
Complimenting the sushi bar is the kitchen. Our kids enjoy the hibachi entrée and split that for the two of them, they are 11 and 9. Two adults could easily share this entrée as well. Especially with a sushi roll or some ngiri on the side. Desert here offers mochi ice cream with flavors from the Comfy Cow (vanilla, chocolate, mango, strawberry). We haven't tried any other desserts, the kids won't allow it.
They also have a private tatami room for large gatherings. Shoes are removed at the steps to this raised and enclosed room. This is fun for a large family gathering or special occasion. The enclosure gives some privacy and also makes it more comfortable to be a bit louder and not disturb the main dining room.