“February 12-14 Valentine Weekend Stay” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Louisville East - Hurstbourne

Holiday Inn Louisville East - Hurstbourne
Ranked #46 of 95 Hotels in Louisville
Columbus, Ohio
“February 12-14 Valentine Weekend Stay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2010

First, if you know us, you know that we usually only write reviews of resorts, hotels and travel destinations where we stay on vacation so this is a bit out of our norm. We have stayed at the Holiday Inn, Hurstbourne on three separate occasions (two on business and the most recent for pleasure). This time we came for the Valentine weekend and brought another couple with us. We stayed Friday and Saturday and for the most part we enjoyed ourselves and found most of the accommodations provided as good.

Check-in staff, desk staff and management are wonderful. We are Priority Club members so our room keys, complimentary coupons etc. are always waiting for us upon arrival. We requested adjoining rooms and that was honored. We had purchased tickets for a Special Valentine Evening dinner and they were not ready (had to wait until Saturday but no big deal).

This hotel has no direct (plug-in) internet access; I know most of us no longer need it but you may and will need to know this, there is nothing they can do for you as far as access in your room, but they do have a business center where you can use there computer. Indoor pool is nice, small fitness center is adequate, hot tub is not really very hot and the “jets” are not so stimulating.

Our major problem came in the form of sewer gas. We noticed it late Friday evening when we returned to our room but wasn’t sure of the source and we were tired and went on to bed. The next morning it was very distinct and uncomfortable. We called the desk, they called maintenance and a mechanic was dispatched within an hour. Mr. Husband, an engineer and our friends in the next room had already started the investigation and found a drain line on the down-side of the sink trap that had been wrapped with some type of tape. They concluded that this would more likely than not be the source of the gas since there were no discernable leaks in any of the other plumbing. The maintenance man came, took a look, didn’t agree and further stated, “I don’t smell anything.” As he turned to leave, without even saying another word to us, my husband did suggest he see a physician about that inability to detect odors. We called management again and the assistant manager came to the room, agreed he smelled something and committed that he would have it repaired while we were out. It was better when we returned that evening, but not fixed (Room 769, beware).

Bar staff was very slow on Saturday, the evening of the special Valentine event, so you would have thought that they might have been better prepared. Wait staff in restaurant was slow and somewhat inexperienced, but at least they were nice. The location is a bit tricky to get to and leave; entrance is behind a convenient mart (look for the small Holiday Inn sign at hidden drive). When you exit you will have to turn right, there is no left turn back to Rt.64 on Hurstbourne. You can go one block to a cross street but it is clearly posted “No U Turn”. Also Hurstbourne and the roads to the two local malls become highly congested on Saturdays (very congested – two hours to travel four miles).

Overall, we probably won't be back here when in Louisville. We generally like the downtown locations and have fallen in love with the Brown Hotel (downtown). If you like to be spoiled, love the old time hotel experience and value the historical qualities and architecture at least try the Brown once. Close to everything downtown, short drive to the Downs, airport and city shuttle available and there are some truly great restraunts downtown.

Related to the attached quetion; would I recommended this hotel to a friend? I will not let one bad attitude from a maintenance man who works on Saturdays and a slow bartender render this establishment uninhabital, overall, it is fine for the price, they should have just offered to move us to a different room.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank FinWatcher

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2009

I love staying at the Holiday Inn-Hurstborne in Lousiville. I am a social worker for the Commonwealth and every time we have a training in Lousiville, they book us here and I have never had a bad experience. The staff is wonderful and friendly and the rooms are clean and comfortable. I have stayed here approximately 10 different times in the past three years and I always enjoy my time here! Keep up the good work!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2009

This hotel should only be used for business as it's very basic an dthe bar is a bit depressing. But the staff are generally friendly and the hotel bus service is great for airport transfers. to/from mall etc at no charge. Also internet was free which was very welcome. Good value as well (we had a corporate rate) Rooms clean and reasonably comfortable but a little tired/cheap.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
midwest
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2009

Initially, the hotel looked great! The staff at the front desk were nice and helpful. The room was neat and clean, with the beds neatly turned down. The bathroom had little soaps and lotions from "Bath and Body Works" that looked really cool.

BUT -- as it started to get dark -- little bugs started to crawl out of the beds. I had never seen bed bugs before, and didn't know what they were, until I looked them up online the next day and realized they were, in fact, bed bugs. We started to squash them. There were three varieties -- small, medium, and large, some of them squashed out blood, meaning they had bitten us. The phone in the room did not work to call the front desk. About midnight, after we had squashed about 30-35 bugs, I gave up and slept in my car till morning since I was too exhausted to figure anything else out, and I only came in to use the shower in the morning. We washed EVERYTHING that had been in that room in scalding water, some clothes I just threw out, I was scared of bringing bugs home.

In the morning when we mentioned this when we checked out, the staff looked concerned, and said they could have assigned us to another room. I didn't want another room, I just wanted to LEAVE. For once, I didn't leave a tip for room service, I already paid plenty to sleep in my car. Don't stay here until they deal with the bed bug issue. OR -- if you find bed bugs -- ask for another room. Now that I'm back home, I'm surprised they didn't offer some sort of discount or refund, or perhaps I should have asked for one, but $140 for a night to share with bugs is rather ridiculous. Don't stay here until the bed bug issue is resolved.

A side note -- in the morning, when I talked about this with other hotel guests, no one else had seen bed bugs in their rooms, so maybe we just got terribly unlucky. I hope management takes care of this promptly. Before you stay here -- ASK about the bed bug situation.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
3 Thank atravellermidwest

Travelers are raving about these Louisville hotels

california
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2009

We satyed here for the Derby and had a wonderful time. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The breakfast buffet was good and filling. The bar was a nice place to have a drink at night and the bartenders were great. The shuttle was a great convienience and got us both to whereever we wanted ( it was a half mile walk to the derby and bardstown road was where the action was). We are going back next year and will stay there again.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2008

This hotel has a serious problem of trying to be something it is not. They market the hotel as a 'high service,' business oriented, convention type hotel. It is far from it.

The night front desk manager, Marie Boone is about as unaccomodating as a service person can be. Special request? She'll do her best to see it is ignored (such as switching rooms). I really believe her make up is that of a control freak. She will lie straight to your face - most likely to save herself extra work that is part of her job.

The hotel spends a lot of money catering to their lobby & common areas (I'm sure for event sales), and neglect their guest rooms. An example is the hotel will have a 'happy hour' pianist while a room with water damage and peeling wall paper is rented over & over for weeks.

The rooms have walls that are paper thin & depending on the floor may have older furnishings or lack amenities (luggage stands & clothes hangars). It is common to find numerous items in the room missing or in disrepair. Families & partiers are placed in rooms directly next to business guests - assuring a lack of rest. The hotel advertises a free USA Today to your door each day (as a Prioirty Club Member) - they never deliver (literally). This speaks of laziness & lack of service!

The restaurant is over priced and food of poor quality. Do yourself a favor and visit restaurants next door such as Friday's and Joe's Bayou instead of eating this slop.

Other than the front desk battle ax mentioned above, there are some nice, friendly employees, but the number has fallen in recent years & the newer ones appear to lack training in customer service.

The house keeping staff is below average. I have stayed in rooms that were clean in this hotel. However, I have stayed in many more rooms here that lacked attention to detail for cleanliness or maintenance.

Perhaps most disturbing was an out break of bedbugs in Nov 2008.

This hotel & their sales staff will tell you they are like a Marriott. They are far from it! It is a Holiday Inn and not a very good one.

• Liked — Complimentary Internet
  • Disliked — Front Desk Service, Room cleanliness, NOISE!
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
      Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2008

The room was clean & the staff was friendly. Our room overlooked the lobby & bar. The restaurant has a great breakfast buffet (my only complaint is that both days the eggs were cold) with biscuits & gravy!! The restaurant's sweet tea is to die for!! I like the glass elevator that overlooks the fountain in the lobby, too!!

• Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
      Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank hoosiermama81