“Historic & Friendly”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Louisville
The Samuel Culbertson Mansion Bed and Breakfast Inn
Ranked #8 of 20 Louisville B&B and Inns
Long Beach, California
“Historic & Friendly”
Reviewed July 17, 2008

We recently stayed at the Culbertson Mansion for 4 nights in the President's Room (has a bathtub w/shower). Another couple we were with stayed in the Annie Fellows Johnston Room (has an amazing old bathtub, but no shower). The entire property, including the rooms, was filled with antiques and was just amazing...like walking into a different era. There was so much to look at and at the same time I felt very "at home". The president's room was large with great windows looking over the street. The breakfast was very good every morning, and each morning something different and home cooked (biscuits & gravy, eggs & bacon) and fruit with burboun sauce every morning. Rudy, the gracious property owner made one guest eggs and toast instead of the planned breakfast as it was something she did not care for. Rudy having been in the city numerous years was very knowledgeable and helpful. The location was great as it is a few minutes from downtown & the fun Bardstown Road. There was a great Cafe (Third Street Cafe) in walking distance. I would definitely stay there again.

• Liked — historic & location
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
6 Thank notagnat

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Vermilion, Ohio
Reviewed May 26, 2007

We spent two great nights in the Samuel Culbertson Mansion and thoroughly enjoyed our step back in time. The mansion is very well kept up and all of the rooms are decorated in early 1900's style and loaded with lovely antiques. It is located in the heart of the Louisville Historic District and as part of your visit you must walk the surrounding neighborhood, which is loaded with beautilful old homes.

The host is gracious and helpful and the breakfast is very good - especially the bourbon sauce. The house dog can be a little yippy at times, but for the most part the owner kept him under control.

We stayed in the Knights of Kentucky Suite and it is fantastic. The separate sitting room is huge and contains a grand piano. The bedroom has a beautiful canopied bed. We also made use of the office room, which included an internet connection. The office also contains a complete kitchen.

The inn is located close to Churchill Downs and the downtown area. Several good restaurants are within walking distance.

All in all a great place to stay and enjoy how the other half used to live.

• Liked — History and architecture
  • Disliked — Noisy dog
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Engineer111
Los Angeles
Reviewed September 17, 2006

We experienced real southern hospitality at this beautiful mansion. We stayed in the "Little Colonel" Suite on the third floor. The room was sunny and roomy. It was furnished with lovely museum quality antiques and yet featured all the comforts of the modern age, including a coffee maker in the kitchenette and a small TV with cable. Since we happened to be the only guests, we had the run of the house, and enjoyed peeking into all the rooms. Everything is kept beautifully clean. Even the fringe on the carpets was carefully raked! Breakfast in the formal dining room is not to be missed. The host is an excellent cook and the ingredients are perfectly fresh, including tomatoes that came from the garden. However, the room upstages the meal with shining silver, a high decorative ceiling, beautiful wallpaper and window treatments and gilt framed art and mirrors. Stay here to experience how the wealthy lived a hundred years ago.

• Liked — Beautiful furnishings
  • Tips/Secrets — Ask about the bathroom for your room, some have tubs only!
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with family
6 Thank madmadeleine
Los Angeles
Reviewed August 7, 2004

I spent a fabulous week during June,2004 at the Samuel Culbertson Mansion in the Knights of Kentucky Suite. Because I travel a lot, I'm a very picky guest but I couldn't have been more satisfied. The decor is gorgeous, with high quality antiques throughout; it's quiet,comfortable, immaculate; and the charming innkeeper, Rudy, makes sure all your needs are taken care of. The atmosphere is the perfect balance of feeling like a guest in Rudy's very grand home and having total privacy. I was visiting Louisville for my high school reunion so I was in town primarily to hang out with old friends. Since the room has a large, beautiful parlor and a kitchen stocked with cocktail, champagne and wine glasses, it was a terrific setting for having a few guests over for cocktails in the evening. I've stayed at the other luxury hotels in town but this is my favorite.

• Stayed June 2004
8 Thank pirk1146
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed June 16, 2004

My husband surprised me with a night here for my 49th birthday. A real surprise! We stayed in the Knights of Kentucky Suite, which is their most expensive and deluxe room. It has two rooms- an enormous parlor with an antique grand piano and fireplace as well as a spacious bedroom with fireplace and canopy bed. It also has a kitchenette and high speed internet! The owner/proprietor is a lovely gentleman. He made us eggs to order (perfectly) biscuits, fresh fruit and sausage. We checked out the entire home, including the very funky/fun rathskeller below. All the rooms were beautiful and well-appointed.There is a lovely courtyard and rose garden in the back- a perfect place for a morning coffee or a happy hour wine. This B&B is on one of old Louisville's most beautiful streets- lined with trees and old Victorian homes, it's also close to Central Park. A great area to walk! There are several excellent restaurants in walking distance. We enjoyed learning the history of this splendid place- if you love history and antiques, you cannot do better in this city.You could spend all day enjoying all the art and artifacts here. There was also a collection of videos, books and magazines available for guests. The huge rooms, spacious halls and luxurious decor will make you feel like royalty here. I do believe there may be a ghost here...though it appears to be friendly. I highly recommend this wonderful place!

9 Thank LLindaC
Oaklyn NJ
Reviewed June 1, 2003

Last April, I stayed at the Culbertson Bed and Breakfast for 5 nights, while attending a convention downtown. it was the week after the derby, so for some nights i was the only guest. It is truly a mansion, filled with beautiful antiques. It was $100 a night for my room, which while not as luxorious as some of the others, was one of the best I've ever been in. Everything was beautiful and comfortable. I had a chaise chair in my room, which led to many hours of relaxed reading in front of the fireplace. There was even a chandelier in the walk-in closet, which I thought was a hoot. Because I was the only guest at most breakfasts, the owner would whip up extra biscuits and gravy and ham and eggs, and we'd sit for over an hour while he shared tales of local gossip and past guests( unnamed, of course). I was sad when my trip ended and I had to leave, but if I go to Louisville again, there is no question about where I'll be staying.Very highly recommended, although not for children.

• Stayed April 2003